Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 940 Athermic Windscreen - Official Reply
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 940 Athermic Windscreen - Official Reply
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 950 doesn't have the mp3 player or FM Transmitter so in some respects is not as good but if you don't use these features you won't be missing out on anything, although if you paid top price for your 940 they should also give you some cash back as the 950 is cheaper.

Try the 950 in your car and if that works get the 940 sent away to TomTom for repair under warranty (0845 161 0009) - Mike
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbsolutios wrote:
Just spoke to Halfords and they only have the 950 in stock now, not the 940.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade please?

Many thanks

JB

Hi jbsolutios,
1) Did you get Halfords to test the 950 behind your windscreen and did it work?
2) Have you searched for "950" on these forums and read the posts? Including this one? http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=80259&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=950

EDIT. Beaten to it by mikealder, again.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
jbsolutios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Mike.

I don't use those features, but as you say I did pay top dollar for it.

How long does TomTom normally take to repair a device please?

Many thanks once again for all your help.

Regards

JB
jbsolutios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help with this.

I have noticed that TT940 (with all the latest updates) often freezes and I have to tap the screen to get it to work again. Sometimes it even reboots itself for no reason when driving (full reset including TomTom noises).

Are these known issues with TT940 or do they point to a hardware problem too please?

Many thanks

JB
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen display freezing is something quite a few of us on this forum have reported from time to time on the x40 range, I can't say I have ever seen it happen on the 950 though.
Occasional re-boots are quite rare but again not unheard of, its a while since I last suffered such an event with my kit though. I wouldn't have thought these type of event are pointing at faulty hardware, its just the GPS reception that isn't as good as it should be on your device.

As for repair time I have seen reports of some devices being turned around within a week or two, sometimes longer - Mike
jbsolutios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for this Mike!

I shall go to Halfords today and see how I get on.

Regards

JB
jbsolutios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Halfords and spoke to the manager.

I explained the issues that I have experienced and they asked me if I had a Ford (he could not see my car incidentally)! The guy was very knowledgeable and said that at the moment, none of the TomTom x40 or x50 work reliably on cars with athermic + heated windscreens. He said the problem seems to be particularly bad on Fords and that they had done some testing themselves to prove this.

Apparently, they have been in touch with their head office and TomTom have said that it is a known problem and that they should just refund customers even if they are outside of their 28 days as there is no known fix at present.

I bought a TT950 and, while it was a little better, it still lost the fix numerous times while driving along the M2.

I tried it on battery and connected to the power, just in case that was the issue, but to no avail. Interestingly, I had them both running together and they both lost fixes at different times, but the 940 seemed to recovery faster than the 950. The 940 used EPT, but the 950 did not.

The saga continues....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a full cash refund for whatever you have purchased and go get a TomTom Go 730 while they are still around as these have the external GPS aerial socket attached which enables connection of the aux aerial.

I have never heard of issues with Ford car windscreens so I am a little wary of the advice offered by the Halfords chap, that said I would go get a device with an external GPS port on it unless you want further trouble or you are prepared to get a re-rad in the way we mentioned last night - Mike
jbsolutios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

I have a TT930 in the drawer, so might resurrect that one.

Usually I would be wary of salesmen, but this guy seemed pretty clued up. He was even talking about how he had tried Navcore 9 on the 940, so he must be reasonably savvy.

I will keep investigating, as I do like the HD traffic - it works great in Central London!

Regards

JB
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbsolutios wrote:
I went to Halfords and spoke to the manager.

I explained the issues that I have experienced and they asked me if I had a Ford (he could not see my car incidentally)! The guy was very knowledgeable and said that at the moment, none of the TomTom x40 or x50 work reliably on cars with athermic + heated windscreens. He said the problem seems to be particularly bad on Fords and that they had done some testing themselves to prove this.

Halfords + 'knowledgeable' Laughing

Seriously, do you believe our opinion or Halfords? He's talking bull, simple as that. No other way to describe it.

There is no reason why an x40 won't work behind an athermic screen unless it is a defective unit. Crikey mine works in the glovebox so an athermic coating is not going to affect it.

Halfords are great for being able to handle a unit and get a decent price but as for product advice, forget it. They don't know their backsides from their elbows.
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just some further info on this.

I have a TT920 and up until 4 weeks ago, had been using it with a central mounted brodit holder in a new Galaxy Zetec spec with no reception issues. The Galaxy Zetec had a heated screen.

I have now got a new Galaxy Ghia with the heated screen, and rain sensing wipers/automatic headlamps so it's a different screen.

Using the same brodit holder, reception is now far more variable and can take up to 5 mins to pick up a signal from power up. Even driving on motorways it loses signal regularly and switches to EPT mode.

Fortunately I have an external port for an external ariel. Any advice on how this can be routed for a clean installation and is there only one type available?

Thks

Last edited by Stocky69 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jbsolutios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very interesting as my S-Max also has automatic wipers & headlights, so I wonder if your issue is related to mine?
Stocky69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would presume so....
IAmCharliemouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit frustrated by the replies to this thread. Despite what a lot of people have said, there obviously is an issue here, and what the guy at Halfords said certainly does ring true. Shocked

I posted on here a few weeks back that I had a new car with athermic glass (funnily enough a Ford with heated windscreen, auto rain and light sensors - although I really can't see how the latter 2 can be involved). My 540 was basically useless in my new car, yet worked perfectly in my old one. So despite what you may believe, this problem does exist.

I partly solved it by moving it away from the glass and mounting it on the centre console. It is now usable, but it is in no way as good as it was - the GPS signal is still significantly attenuated. Sad

Perhaps the glass that Ford is now using has a coating that happens to block the right (wrong) frequencies. Just a guess...
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAmCharliemouse wrote:
I'm a bit frustrated by the replies to this thread. Despite what a lot of people have said, there obviously is an issue here, and what the guy at Halfords said certainly does ring true. Shocked

I posted on here a few weeks back that I had a new car with athermic glass (funnily enough a Ford with heated windscreen, auto rain and light sensors - although I really can't see how the latter 2 can be involved). My 540 was basically useless in my new car, yet worked perfectly in my old one. So despite what you may believe, this problem does exist.

I partly solved it by moving it away from the glass and mounting it on the centre console. It is now usable, but it is in no way as good as it was - the GPS signal is still significantly attenuated. Sad

Perhaps the glass that Ford is now using has a coating that happens to block the right (wrong) frequencies. Just a guess...
If you move away from the glass and the signal improves/interference diminishes, is it possible that the auto rain/light sensor on new model Ford cars is transmitting, either deliberately, as part of the sensing mechanism or accidentally, something (v technical I know Embarassed ) that blocks GPS signals?

Is there any way to turn them (or it?) off? Do they have a separate fuse? Can you wrap them in tinfoil to shield your 540 (not while driving!! Laughing ) and see if the signal improves. Are the sensors active when the car ignition is turned off? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: