Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map QCT-format Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map QCT-format Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dicko1966
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Memory Map QCT-format Maps Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
I am afraid not.

That is the whole point of the liscensing for OS maps. You can only use them in one application. This has been a bone of contention with me for some time now.

I beg to differ and have successfully converted a set of 2004 charts to jpg with excellent results and use them very successfully in OziExplorer as a single ozf3 format single stitched chart. What I don't have is a current set of the Memory Map CAA charts at 0.25mil and 0.5 mil from which to do the same thing again, and again, and again. If someone can supply them, I'll convert them again and post them somewhere and share via a torrent.

Can anyone get me the charts?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do not support sharing of maps by e-mail/ torrent or anything else that is illegal theft, as a site we take a very dim view of such activity so you won't be getting maps from here and neither would we be interested in them being shared by torrent - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a PPL myself, the very thought that someone would consider it acceptable to steal CAA chart data for their own use is very worrying.

If you can afford to fly then you can afford to buy your own up to date charts. If you can't then you need to reassess your priorities.

To make it crystal clear, we take a clear line on piracy of data, one warning. Any further discussion and your account will be locked.
dicko1966
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: CAA Charts Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
As a PPL myself, the very thought that someone would consider it acceptable to steal CAA chart data for their own use is very worrying.

If you can afford to fly then you can afford to buy your own up to date charts. If you can't then you need to reassess your priorities.

On the contrary, I find the idea that the CAA expect anyone to pay twice for safety information that the population have already paid for through general taxation very worrying, unreasonable and corrupt. The US make all this information available free at the point of use, why not the UK?

The correct medium for disseminating this information is electronic, and it can be done at virtually zero cost, as web sites such as http://shgc.org.uk/php/notams.php make perfectly clear. Memory map is an abortion, functionally juvenile and extortionately priced because of the monopoly it presently operates. Just tell me why this information is not available in a open format? Where is my choice?

It's about time the CAA stopped spending quite so much time twiddling their handle bar moustaches, sharpening their china graph pencils and thought a little bit more about their core responsibilities and how best to achieve them. Perhaps they could spend a little less time engaging Joe Pascquale and Bruce Dickinson for pointless poster campaigns and a little more making airspace and NOTAM information freely available, open format, in easily understandable downloadable form instead of the bits of laminated paper and lamentable 1970's style cryptic and unintelligible computer output of the NOTAM briefings.

Stealing? Don't make me laugh.

Please support: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Easyairspace/
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many things I dislike paying for, but that doesn't make it right that I choose to steal them instead.

You may not like the association but that doesn't change the fact that you are stealing the data and denying both Memory-Map and CAA of profit.

We've both made our views clear and I have stated our policy in this regard.
dicko1966
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: CAA Charts Reply with quote

It's not stealing, you can't steal something you have already paid for. The CAA charts belong to the people. Safety information put out by monopoly public bodies paid for out of general taxation should never be held to ransom. The US authorities woke up to the justice of this principle some years ago now.

Let's see who's on the right side of this argument in a few more weeks time when all Airspace and NOTAM information starts becoming available as free downloads as Google earth KML files from sites such as http://shgc.org.uk/php/notams.php and it becomes possible to consign the arcane CAA charts and lamentable Memory Map to the dust bin.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Easyairspace/
indecisive
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a convertor for XPS files: they are really zip files. Change the .xps extension to .zip, then browse the zip file for the Images folder - probably something like \Documents\1\Resources\Images, and you'll find the map image(s).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: