Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another HD Traffic FAIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another HD Traffic FAIL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Well, I got my response from TT (or was it the cat???)

Quote:
Hectometer:

How they expect someone to fill that in whilst driving is beyond me!

Anyone know what one of these actually is and do they exist in the UK? I can remember a cartoon as a kid called "Hectors House" perhaps its something to do with that Laughing - Mike
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hectometer is 100 metres - but it's a fairly rare expression! Like the traffic updates???
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but not as rare as Tom Tom's second line of support, which only exists in the imagination of the first line, when they have exhausted their standard reponses.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidence of the issue with HD Traffic not refreshing. My XL LIVE had been on and the route planned for about an hour when these first screenshots were taken. Given the time of day and the fact that the route I had planned incorporated the M66, M60 and M62 you would expect to see some delays, but according to my TT my route was clear.

So, time for a reboot. As soon as the HD Traffic had connected you can see there were 2 incidents that were not there a couple of minutes previously.

So, it had now updated when in the previous hour or so it hadn’t. Time to leave alone for approx 20 mins. According to the marketing blurb I should have expected 4 or 5 traffic updates in that period. The situation is exactly the same, with the same delays.

So, let’s try and force a reconnection to the LIVE Services by enabling and disabling Flight Mode.

No difference – still the same delays. So, time for another reboot.

And again, straight after a reboot, updated traffic information. This seems to be the only way during peak periods to get the traffic information to update.
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Andy! Send the whole lot to TT support as evidence. I'm having exactly the same problems!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already sent.
elljay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HD traffic doesn't update either unless I power cycle the device - not much use when you're using it to navigate! I've submitted a question to TomTom support tonight...
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shock horror, finally seems to be some acceptance from TT that the problem might be at their end, my latest response from TT reproduced below

I was asked by our LIVE services experts to collect more data - as more and more it appears to be on the network capability.

They are asking me to collect below data when the same error comes up:

- Dates of occurances

- Time of incident and length of time taken for HDT to update\

- Customers location when the issue observed

- Also Browse the Map with all the Traffic displayed on device. Zoom in and tap on one of the traffic incident symbols to get the details of this incident. In the top-left corner of the screen there will be a total number of incidents displayed, for example 1/329. Please supply us with this number also.

- Please give us specific details of what happens on the device so we can describe this to the developers.

- Also please confirm, if this issue has been going on since your have purchased the device in May, or did this start later?

We will be able to investigate and work on this with above details, as we are collecting more data in the similar locations.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gulp!! I hope none of you are driving anywhere near me when you try to compile this data!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, if they are treating this seriously they need to release a build with debug logging in it - that shouldn't be too hard and they will get accurate data then, not users impressions and interpretations.

It is dangerous whilst driving to try and collect this level of detail, and I can't believe that TT actually expect someone to try!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked in on this out of curiosity. If TT think people can do all this on the hoof in safety, they'll have another think coming when their network/servers crash even more trying to keep up with all the extra accidents Sad Rolling Eyes

And what will PC Plod think of it all Confused?
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a mixed experience on Friday with HD traffic.

I switched on Friday morning (about 08:00) and had 'blue circle' quicker than I expected. Had a quick look at the map around my area and I have to say I've never seen as many 'queueing cars' as I did on Friday. Knowing where almost all of the morning hot spots are around Dundee, I can say that HD look the most accurate I've ever seen it. Many roads I know that are regularly congested had warnings, even B roads. To my surprise traffic light junctions were even being highlighted. (5min delay over 200yrds at junctions with trafficlights type of thing.) It was as if HD had completely ignored IQ routes this morning (I know it can't do that because it's embedded into the maps of course) and were displaying actual delays, not over and above IQ estimates.

Had a look around Glasgow where I was heading that day and the same was to be found there. the accuracy looked fantastic.

STILL no auto-update though!

Was back in Dundee by around by about 14:00 and the device was showing around 32 incidents, out of interest I rebooted and switched the device back on straight away and it was then showing 62 incidents! So at some point up to 14:00 that day it's failed to update. And thats out with peak hours.

Friday evening came, and I was back to what appeared to be 1 update in 40min.

Rebooted the device and it was once again showing me the fantastic coverage it did first thing in the morning!

But still no auto-update!
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And therein lies the problem I reckon.

I get the impression they have tried to improve the service (you want to see the number of incidents it shows in the London/South East, went into Browse Map and selected the nearest incident and it was 1/575.

Unfortunately in trying to improve the service they also seem to have completely broken the auto updates
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have gone a done it again.

Good old TT they really know how to keep techie’s happy. Ask them to complete detail info of the problem and send it in. that will keep them quite for months…….

If TT took this seriously they would get all their own guys to drive around during peak traffic time and collect the data themselves.

But lets face it how many people are using live updates and put the non reporting of congestion down to “just one of those things” After all its says it updates frequently on the box……………………
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Christmas around the corner I am sure TT don't want the negative publicity of their flagship LIVE service not actually working - making all of their premium devices a waste of money as they don't actually update the traffic info if it gets a bit busy .......

Lets see what happens next week, I expect that they have a bit of a rocket up someone at the moment to get this fixed as this will dent their Christmas sales once the media get hold of it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: