Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another HD Traffic FAIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another HD Traffic FAIL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had the standard TomTom support email back! I'll jump through a couple of hoops and send them my SIM details from Home. I'm itching to find out how the Navigon Live services are going to perform as the 8450 looks amazing!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes me back to the good old days of moaning about RDS-TMC being a waste of time (and it was with Navcore 7 and the previous antennas with the egg at the end).

I will monitor my unit tomorrow and Wednesday as I have got two potentially 5 hour drives that start in the afternoon and will finish at the end of rush hour.

If I get the same results as everyone else then I will get a Ticket open with TT as well.

We have been down the Watchdog route before with the stammering TTS voices on primarily x20s and Navcore 8.35x, they initially show interest then it never goes any further.

This may be different as it is a subscription based service we are talking about here, not a FOC Software update (even though you had to use it if you subscribed to the map updates).
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becoming a bit of a joke now, especially as this is subscription based. This afternoon my 540 and TomTom's routeplanner were showing different information at the same time however it appeared to be updating more frequently than it normally does at peak times. Every 15/20 today.

A98 at Cullen closed due to subsidance and has been for many days if not weeks. 25+ mile diversion I was told today.

RDS Unit reporting it.

Not a mention on the HD platform.

Why do they insist on telling us NOTHING other than "Accident" (which seems to cover almost anything in there book) and congestion when the RDS platforms are far more informative. (Accident recovery work, Slow/Abnormal loads, Hazzardous driving conditions etc) Evil or Very Mad

My un-educated guess is they are holding back much of this type of content for it to appear in HD Traffic II or the likes. It's available on the contanent in HD according to their route planner and via RDS-TMC here afterall.
So why not on HD over here?

Does anyone know any info on the new Navigon connected devices?

GSM/UMTS SIM?
What network? (Orange/Voda/02 etc)

Had a look a few weeks back. Looks intersting.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 2 journeys with no updates, I have sent TT my system information as they requested to elevate me to the second level.

I await their response with interest
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree the new Navigon Live servie looks good. Lets hope in real life the system is better than the demo shots they used,

As to be honest I would be a little concerned id I was heading for the A4 Brompton Road, and started to get exit signs for Munich and Frankfurt!

falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have read this thread with interest. I must admit I don't get the problems described on here.

What I DO get is the occasional 'No connection to server' for HD traffic which usually lasts a couple of hours.

All the incidents in my area of Newcastle are shown correctly on my device just now at 09.30 compared to the TT website. And all the incidents in Edinburgh and Glasgow also appear on my GO 950 as they do on the TT website.

Sounds like TT have capacity issues, or maybe its Vodafone having too much data to dish out to all the LIVE enabled devices!

Hopefully TT can resolve this for you guys asap!

iPhone 12
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Falkirk81. It does seem that when you turn the unit on it gets the most recent data and refelects what is on TomTom route planner. The problem is that the information/data doesn't refresh after the initial retrieval during peak times.

When in the car people may not be aware that the info hasn't refreshed as it all appears normal, no error messages or symbols. I urge anyone who is experiencing problems to report it to TomTom. Hopefully if more of us log the issue it may get more attention!
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my latest reply

We cannot offer you an immediate solution to this challenge

Terrific!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I hate this "Challenge", "Issue". Their support ability seems to be in using a Thesaurus. These are "Faults", not issues, not challenges. Evil or Very Mad Grrrr Angry Censored

This is TomTom support, not customer support! Never use the word Fault or Problem in case the customer "Issues" a "Challenge" to our "Fitness for Purpose" and "Trade Description".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know any info on the new Navigon connected devices?

GSM/UMTS SIM?
What network? (Orange/Voda/02 etc)

I believe that I have seen in their literature somewhere that it is going to be T-Mobile
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
The M1 was closed in both directions between two specific exits due to an accident. The TT alerted me to the resultant tailback, and routed me around that, but then tried to dump me back on the M1 at exactly the point - the closed exits - where traffic was being diverted off it!!! The result was a tortuous additional two hours of nose to tail back road traffic - correctly showing as a jam on the unit - but with TT trying at every opportunity to get me back on the closed road!!!

Just a question from reading this thread as I am a new user of HD Traffic. My understanding is that it is supposed to know there is a problem on a road when it picks up signals from loads of HD equipped devices that the traffic is slow or stationary. If a road is closed, how does it know? If it is not picking up signals on that road. won't it just assume the road is clear but with little traffic?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norm2002 wrote:
Just a question from reading this thread as I am a new user of HD Traffic. My understanding is that it is supposed to know there is a problem on a road when it picks up signals from loads of HD equipped devices that the traffic is slow or stationary. If a road is closed, how does it know? If it is not picking up signals on that road. won't it just assume the road is clear but with little traffic?

That is how the additional HD part works but TomTom supposedly integrate that data with other data from the Highways Agency and other organisations before sending it out to the users. This does not always seems to be done though and TomTom have this information as it shows on their other systems.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norm2002 wrote:
There has been discussion of this before, but I don't know if anyone actually KNOWS how TT have implemented this. My argument was that a road with a significantly different level of traffic on it compared to the normal for this time of day/day of week represents a problem. Others argued that TT would interpret the rescue services' phones as light traffic and show the road as clear.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
There has been discussion of this before, but I don't know if anyone actually KNOWS how TT have implemented this.

Clap Not Worthy And there lies the statement of the year, which applies to so many of the TT bells and whistles - we simply don't know, and they're not telling us, how it is implemented. If we knew the method, we could take consideration of it when reacting to the particular bell or whistle. Sadly, we don't, so you take avoiding action or not, or you are notified or not, of the traffic jam or clear road in the same fashion as you see the numbers on the Lottery if you don't watch the actual draw take place on Telly!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I've used it recently, and it has worked for me, but the fact that it is peak time related makes me wonder if it is actually a simple data overload on the network. It would make sense that certain areas are going to put all the data through concentrators which then link to the internet, and thus to the TomTom servers. If too many people are connecting (not just TomTom) then packet loss may be occurring. So TomTom may think that all is fine because the server is holding up nicely, but can't see all the devices that are trying to connect but not doing so.

The problem I find with big companies like TomTom is that they have broken their organisation into separate silos of function, so tech support have no clue about how it really works and just sit on the data. No one technical who would understand and have an ability to test and sort it hears of the problem, and if they did their project manager would schedule some time for them in the next quarter, not now when it matters.

And of course most people don't know it is having problems, perhaps including TomTom staff, because there isn't any traffic on their route, so they don't drive into it and wonder why it wasn't updated.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: