Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the iPhone Car Kit: We get our hands on it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the iPhone Car Kit: We get our hands on it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or take a look at the Magellan active carkit when it starts shipping in about a month. Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed and it looks quite tasty. Can you tell us more as regards is features?

http://www.gpsreview.net/magellan-roadmate-for-iphone/

It's a shame that Magellan's PR in the UK has ranged from sporadic to dire. The last launch they had we were told that no review units were available for UK.

That is not the way to garner coverage!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agreed that they are quite poor at marketing themselves. I'm on their beta list and still have trouble getting anything out of them. Actually get more thru the backdoor channels than via anything official.

Anyway, it's fully adjustable to accommodate different phone skins or the iPod. Rotates for use in landscape or portrait. Includes a built-in gps chipset, tho I don't know the supplier yet. Includes the expected Bluetooth handsfree and in-car charging along with an amplified speaker. All the features of TT's mount plus iPod compatibility. Designed to work with any of the TBT apps. I expect the price to come in at $99 as an educated guess.
Ten98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Awful bit of kit Reply with quote

This mount uses an out of date GPS chipset that is actually worse than that inside the iPhone 3GS, which is fine if you have an original iPhone, but if you have a 3G or a 3GS it's simply not needed and bumps up the already stupidly high cost of the mount. The charging port is dumb, as it makes you use a mini USB car charger rather than an iPhone car charger which I already had, and the speaker is really poor too. The suction cup device TomTom have designed is second to none, all I really wanted was that suction cup and a simple plastic clip to hold the iPhone to my windscreen, all the electronics are completely not needed.

The iPhone app itself is kind of a cut-down TomTom. You can't get traffic information, update your speed camera notifications or any of the internet content on tomtom LIVE! Surprising that an iPhone app has no internet connectivity at all really when the whole point of the phone is internet access and so much of TomTom stuff these days relies on an internet connection.. Don't they want my £9 a month subscription to HD traffic then?

On the plus side, you do get the great iPhone screen, which is better than the TomTom screens and the app can be used portrait or landscape. It has some reasonably useful features you don't get on normal TomToms like setting an entry in your contacts list to a destination, using a speech synthesiser to read out road names, .

However, for the cost of this mount plus the TomTom app on the iPhone, you could buy a TomTom IQ Routes and still have change. And in my view you would have a far better Satnav and still be able to use your phone as a phone.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Awful bit of kit Reply with quote

Ten98 wrote:
all I really wanted was that suction cup and a simple plastic clip to hold the iPhone to my windscreen, all the electronics are completely not needed.

Like this Smile

As for the arguments about the cost and the option of a cheap PND instead, yes agreed in part BUT if you already have the iPhone and add a cheaper cradle then it's a nice solution that offers you the benefits of a connected app.

TomTom have yet to make full use of this but others already do.

Still doesn't replace my 940 for long trips but for everything else I'm happy with my 3GS running Navigon.
Ten98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Awful bit of kit Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

TomTom have yet to make full use of this but others already do.

Still doesn't replace my 940 for long trips but for everything else I'm happy with my 3GS running Navigon.

The clip you mention looks alright, but I think the TomTom suction cup can't be beaten.

I might give Navigon a shot, as it's pretty maddening not to get live traffic updates on a phone designed for the internet.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Awful bit of kit Reply with quote

Ten98 wrote:
The clip you mention looks alright, but I think the TomTom suction cup can't be beaten.

How about this windscreen mount - an absolute bargain:
Arkon iPhone Mount.
Quote:
I might give Navigon a shot, as it's pretty maddening not to get live traffic updates on a phone designed for the internet.

Agreed, and Navigon's iPhone App is better than TomToms in many other respects too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: