Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Survey Results: A Third of UK Drivers Text at The Wheel
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Survey Results: A Third of UK Drivers Text at The Wheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Survey Results: A Third of UK Drivers Text at The Wheel Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comPocketGPSWorld.com visitors recently helped GPS navigation developer Sygic with their survey of UK drivers - the results are in and it's not encouraging reading.

Sygic found that almost a third (32%) of drivers confessed to texting whilst in their cars during the past month, despite the fact that over 90 per cent know it is illegal and that they risk three points on their licence and a fine.

Research by the RAC found that texting whilst driving can slow down reaction times by as much as 35 per cent and the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, believes it makes drivers four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves or others.

Sygic say that despite the law banning drivers from using handheld mobile devices whilst driving being in force since December 2003, over one fifth of cars still don’t have the necessary hands-free equipment fitted. Their research found that 22 per cent didn’t have a mobile phone cradle or built-in hands-free kit in their car or Bluetooth equipment for use with their device.

"It’s shocking that almost six years on, car owners are still breaking the law and using their phones at the wheel,” said Anna Hurbanic of Sygic. “There is plenty of equipment on the market which is designed to improve safety so drivers can focus on the road and not on their phone."
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Survey Results: A Third of UK Drivers Text at The Wheel Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
It’s shocking that almost six years on, car owners are still breaking the law and using their phones at the wheel,

Sad but true! Some people feel so immune when they are in their cars it often mind boggling when you see some of the things they get up to, until of course something goes wrong!

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not the most detailed of surveys, I may be wrong but I remember the question as have you read a text while behind the wheel? This does not ask if you were moving or stuck in traffic? Or indeed if you replied? I'd be interested to see the question again. If I read a text while stuck in traffic am I as much of a danger as someone writing a text while doing 70 down the motorway? Just a thought. To me the survey says 32% confess to reading a text while in the car. Anyone got a copy of the survey?
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattstachurski wrote:
It was not the most detailed of surveys, I may be wrong but I remember the question as have you read a text while behind the wheel? This does not ask if you were moving or stuck in traffic? Or indeed if you replied? I'd be interested to see the question again. If I read a text while stuck in traffic am I as much of a danger as someone writing a text while doing 70 down the motorway? Just a thought. To me the survey says 32% confess to reading a text while in the car. Anyone got a copy of the survey?

I'll ask Sygic for a copy.
stuartb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This snippet of a 30 minute film is "popular" on the 'Net right now. I was told about it by some family in the US even though it was made in Wales. Not sure why the whole film is not up anywhere (it was on bbc iplayer but not now). Powerful and graphic way to try to get through to texting addicts perhaps:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC3x7K3EOTk

Stuart
shricthism
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: A FITH OF CARS DON'T HAVE HANDSFREE EQUIPMENT FITTED Reply with quote

This is a very odd statistic - most people I know don't have handsfree equipment fited - but also they don't use their mobiles when in their cars - so whats the problem. I think this is much safer than useing handsfree equipment which still removes driver attention from the road.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem (for me) is when they have NOT got hands-free but DO use it - my problem is being nearly sent to an early (for an OAP) grave by people driving without ANY awareness of what/who's around them, especially when they are driving with one hand (round corners trying to beat a level crossing gate as well).

I rest my case, but fortunately (so far) not my soul Razz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: