Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 540 spoken text and speed cams
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

540 spoken text and speed cams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: 540 spoken text and speed cams Reply with quote

will shortly be putting the database on my 540, the last Go device I had you had to put a bunch of voice files with the same name as the POI file to get spoken alerts (or change some CHK file)

As things have moved on and this has some text to speech thing will I be able to get this to tell me the camera type and speed or do I still need to find and install the voice files? (in which case where are they these days?)

Cheers!
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when setting up the options for audible warnings for each camera type, you can select TTS and type in your own message. I did this a couple of firmware releases back because the downloadable recorded messages were never the same volume as the navigation instructions. I have stayed with it and much prefer it to the various bongs available in the menu
I have typed warnings like Gatso 30 30, Mobile 50 50 etc
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to the OGG files - spoken warnings. I find them far preferable to typing your own, which can take an awful lot of effort to get right (adding spaces and punctuation to get the right result).

Also check out the camera icons here. Read all the interesting stuff about them before proceeding.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
I did this a couple of firmware releases back because the downloadable recorded messages were never the same volume as the navigation instructions.

If you use a "real" voice for navigation instructions, the recorded warnings match in volume very well.
But unfortunately, TomTom in their wisdom made the computer/TTS voices *louder* than their own recorded voices, and never gave us any individual volume controls; so if you adjust the volume to a comfortable level for a TTS navigation voice, the warnings will always be a little bit quieter.
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys

I noticed the X2 BMP in the downloaded file so that makes a bit more sense now, if I understand it correctly these will display be default rather than me having to do anything else (unless I wanted a different Icon set

As for the voices, I only set up one last night and noticed you could type your own or it could read the name of the file so will see how that sounds, certainly rather than type my own I will probably use the downloadable voices and see how the volume compares.

Not totally hooked on the compute voice reading out street names at moment so may go back to standard TT voices.
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwell, Started to like the street names being read out for me and whatever I choose if I want to retain voice control it is going to be the overly loud computer voice at some point.

This means that as described above the spoken POI warnings downloaded from here are a bit on the quiete side Sad

What kind of punctuation/formating did you use to get the the computer warning voice to sound a bit better. Quite happy with just Gatso 30 Gatso 30 but could do with actually being able to hear her say "Gatso" rather than gt-o and how do I get a pause between the two?

Slght improvement with "Gats-So 30" but still some way off...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try adding a couple of spaces or a comma or a full stop, you will need to play around with these and possibly combinations of them to get the desired effect you want - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanK wrote:
This means that as described above the spoken POI warnings downloaded from here are a bit on the quiete side Sad

Have you tried Liz Whitaker with LOUD siren - knocks yer sox off, I love it. Laughing

AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, didn't scroll far enough down the page (and also thought it was Vik that had the sirens)

Will try them tonight, cheers!

ps - spaces, commas and full stops made not a damn bit of difference to space out the two computer voices warnings.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanK wrote:
ps - spaces, commas and full stops made not a damn bit of difference to space out the two computer voices warnings.

It certainly used to work with the old Loquendo files installed to the 910, to be honest I have used OGG files since and just assumed the spaces etc would still work - Mike
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanK wrote:
What kind of punctuation/formating did you use to get the the computer warning voice to sound a bit better. Quite happy with just Gatso 30 Gatso 30 but could do with actually being able to hear her say "Gatso" rather than gt-o and how do I get a pause between the two?

Slght improvement with "Gats-So 30" but still some way off...

I gave up trying to get Kate to say gatso and went with "camera" in the end. "Camera! 30!" or "Camera. 30." should give good results.
Brodit ProClip mount
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
I gave up trying to get Kate to say gatso and went with "camera" in the end.

For my South African cameras I found putting an "h" on the end improved the pronunciation on my 720, and "Gatsoh,,,100" gives a perfectly acceptable rendition, with the commas spacing it out nicely.
Samsung Galaxy S21
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found "Gats~so" was not too bad, will try with and h and add even more commas to try and get a break between the two warnings.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just tried setting up my newly aquired TT520 using the very latest download file for Kates computer voice and typed in something like "Warning Gatso 30 Miles Per Hour" it seems to reasonably OK to me at least using the demo. I will see how it sounds for real when I next go out in the car.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
Have just tried setting up my newly aquired TT520 using the very latest download file for Kates computer voice and typed in something like "Warning Gatso 30 Miles Per Hour" it seems to reasonably OK to me at least using the demo. I will see how it sounds for real when I next go out in the car.

How is this different from the Liz Whitaker warnings (Except that the Liz ones are actually pre-recorded clear human voice, without computer TTS concerns or spending half a day typing the words)?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: