Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom3 Itinerary Feature
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom3 Itinerary Feature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burgundybus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: TomTom3 Itinerary Feature Reply with quote

Is it just me, or do others find this a bit quirky?

At the weekend, I set off for a couple of days away from home, with an itinerary covering a stop off on Saturday, an overnight stop, a destination for Sunday, and then a journey home.

Within a mile of home, TTN3 was busily recalculating the route, and as soon as I hit the motorway, was suggesting leaving by the first exit, then the next, and so on. It pretty soon became clear that the software was trying to take me straight back home again, as "Home" was the final destination of the itinerary. Surely the stuff knows that an itinerary means a trip via certain specified points? Seems to defeat part of the object if that precludes a round trip.

Removing the final destination (home) solved the problem, but only after a re-set of my iPAQ.

Incidentally, TTN3 won't load on my iPAQ 5450 without a soft reset if the Calendar software on the iPAQ is still loaded in memory. Anyone else found it fussy about when it loads?

Tom (no relation)
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't enter the start location when using itinerary function (the GPS will determine this for you)
Robin
Burgundybus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You miss my point.

I had not specified a start point, only the points on the itinerary and the return destination. The feature seemed to want to miss out all of the itinerary and just navigate me directly home. Seems to me to defeat the point entirely.

Tom
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved the thread to the TomTom forum, as it's a query about TomTom Navigator 3.

It sounds like you went into the Navigator screen by some method other than pressing Navigate on the Itinerary screen. I suspect you'd somehow tricked Navigator into navigating to a single destination, rather than following your itinerary.

David
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Burgundybus.
I think I know what you mean - apologies if I am wrong though!
I recently spent some time, myself, trying to figure out this new feature on TTN3 as it was of particular interest to me. Unfortunately you shouldn't expect too much from this feature as it is not really as clever as I would have hoped.

When you planned your itinerary did you put each "stop" as a "destination" or as a "Drive-by"?

If you put each "stop" as a "destination" then it appears that Itinerary will treat each of these as a separate journey in it's own right. You can check this out for yourself by constructing an intinerary of say three "destinations", put them in the order you want, then tap on either "Navigate" or "Plan" - you will see that a route has only been planned (see this on either the map view or the written instructions) to that single "destination". When you reach that "destination" you will be informed with the usual voice message "you have reached your destination". You are then required to manually click on the 2nd entry in your Itinerary and you will find that a route from your current location to that "destination" will be calculated and when you reach that "destination" you have to repeat the exercise.

If, however, you had put your final "stop" as "destination" and put the other "stops" as "Drive-bys" (in your order of preference) and then clicked on Navigate or Plan, you would see that in either the Map view or the Instructions view that TTN would have treated it as one single journey and the entire journey (I put about 15 stops on my test Itinerary) would be clearly shown from start to finish in either of those views. When you reached the first of those "stops" - this case "Drive-by" (as opposed to a "destination") you will have been informed by a "bleep" as opposed to the usual "you have reached your destination". However this "bleep" can occur when you are close to the location - I have not yet discovered at what distance this "bleep" is magically triggered, but it seems to be reasonably close. You will then find that the next leg of your journey is being told to you verbally and visually on the navigator view with no intervention from yourself.

I can only make a guess that you had your "stops" as Destinations and your first one was indeed "home" - can't think of any other explanation.

I would find this new feature a lot more useful if you could construct an itinerary based on all "destinations" and with a route optimisation feature built in. But I guess these features evolve over a period of time and I daresay that this feature will improve with subsequent TTN future updates.

Anyway sorry if I have merely told you stuff you already know - I am just passing on my own experiences and understanding of this feature.

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent summary, Tom - Itinerary is poorly documented.

There's just one thing to add - to switch from one destination to the next (even if you haven't yet reached the set destination) in the Navigator screen, you can tap to bring up the Navigator menu, tap Navigate To, then tap Itinerary Destination. If you're skipping a destination, you'll be asked to confirm this.

It's also worth knowing that there's various useful facilities available via tap and hold on the Itinerary screen - such as the ability to save and load itineraries.

David
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, unchecking the "Multiple destinations" box in Properties/Itinerary prevents you from being presented with the screen that allows you to stipulate whether you want it to be classed as a Destination or a Drive-by. However for all practical purposes I can't really see that much difference, as each stop is handled the same way as a Drive-by (audible ding-dong sounds when close) and then continues with the navigation to the next destination until you reach the final one on the list when you will receive the voice accouncement - "you have reached your destination".

Tom

IPAQ2210/ROM-1.10/LEXAR 32X 256MB SD/Kingston ElitePro 1GB CF
TTN3-V3.03/Wired GPS-V3.03/Globalsat BT-338
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the only advantage of having some of the intermediate stops as destinations is that it speeds up the calculation time - TomTom only calculates the route as far as the next destination
Robin
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom9851 wrote:
BTW, unchecking the "Multiple destinations" box in Properties/Itinerary prevents you from being presented with the screen that allows you to stipulate whether you want it to be classed as a Destination or a Drive-by. However for all practical purposes I can't really see that much difference, as each stop is handled the same way as a Drive-by (audible ding-dong sounds when close) and then continues with the navigation to the next destination until you reach the final one on the list when you will receive the voice accouncement - "you have reached your destination".

Tom

The difference is that it announces "You have reached your destination" (and you have to hit Navigate to move to the next one) rather that a Tone fora drive by and keeps navigating with no intervention.

I found when I started playing with Itineraries that it was imediately trying to take me home. This was because I had put home down as the start of the route, and as Robin said I now let TT3 determine the start of the route, it wil ask when you tap on Plan.

Steve
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using TomTom 3.03 (427). In the advanced tab in properties, I unchecked "multiple destinations" in the itinerary section. Now when I set up an itinerary, all waypoints are treated as drive-past except for the last one, which is treated as a destination. I find this very useful, as I tend to plan my itinerary a day at a time. If I wanted to plan an itinerary for a number of days, or for a number of stops, it's quite easy to create and save a number of itineraries, which can be loaded when required.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668
Richard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the usefull info, I wondered how the Itinerary worked so did a search and found this post. I now feel like an expert!
AndyCr15
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have planned a route using the usual; 'navigate to' way of doing things, how can you then add in a stop over?

www.lanarchy.co.uk for LAN gaming near London
geraint
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that you can. Crying or Very sad The only way to set up waypoints, as far as I am aware, is to use the itinerary.

TomTom for iPhone v1.9
App version: 8.300 (777309)
Map: Western Europe v875.3668

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: