Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Slimmer Battery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Slimmer Battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
decay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: New Slimmer Battery Reply with quote

Just read this article:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6406

Looking good.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..............interesting.

I wonder why Satmap don't preview these things on their own site or via customer e-mails or even on this forum.

The protective case ( obviously I haven't seen one yet ) does appear slightly expensive for a silicone rubber jobbie at £40 ( plus £5 P&P I imagine ) I thought it may have been a bit more substantial for the money.

Don't think I will bother with the slimmer battery,never had any problems with the units size,seems OK to me.

There is a software update due out shortly as well so we will have to see what that brings.

Ian
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sometimes wonder what exactly goes on in Satmap's marketing department. It seems that committed supporters (like nearly everyone here) and customers are the last to know about anything.

Regarding the silicne rubber case - if it is anything like the one I had for my Garmin eMap it will be a disappointment as it wasn't long before it strted to split.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must something else to this slimmer battery.

The standard battery cover has splines and foam for the aa cells. Get rid of them, and the unit could be much slimmer, with the same battery.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard battery cover has splines and foam for the aa cells. Get rid of them, and the unit could be much slimmer, with the same battery.
stevendunn99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:

It is smaller and not as powerful ie reduced time btw charges. I would think therefore it was cheaper and enables Satmap to either reduce the sales price or increase profit/item.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Slimline Power Bundle is listed in that link at £40, £10 cheaper than the fat bundle, so its cheaper, but its unknown at this stage what you get for your money. Ideally, one should be able to buy just the slimline battery and housing to supplement the main bundle - if that is the case, its an expensive battery. All the other 'bundle' costs appear to be unchanged. Personally, I dislike all these 'bundles'; you inevitably have to buy things you don't want to get the bits you do - more profit to Satmap - why not just a list of accessories to pick from?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As its a reduced capacity battery pack I wouldn't be interested in it, I am more than happy with how the active10 sits in my hand while in use, what would be interesting is to see the actual capacity of this new battery but I would always go for the largest capacity with a portable device, if this new cell manages to save a few grams I see little point.
To be honest my active10 is now attached to the mountain bike so its not getting much use walking, the bike offers much greater capability for external very high capacity power packs that can be used to power the lights and the SatMap for well over a week! - Mike
bazbailey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit off topic Mike but what is the setup on your bike to get the extra battery power as you mentioned?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its home made comprising of six industrial grade NiMh D size cells with a capacity of 13,000mAhr these are all housed in one of those tool holders that look like a water bottle, power to the Active10 is via a car charger lead, power to the lights is tapped off at three volts and goes via another quick release connector.
A single point charger is all thats needed to top the bottle up, I have some pictures from when I made this somewhere on the PC, if I can dig them out I will post it up within its own thread - Mike
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike. Battery life is is key. The unit is about as big as I would like, but I wouldn't trade volume or weight for less battery life. And of course if your slimline battery does give out, it's going to be less straightforward to swap it for some spare AAs
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Its home made comprising of six industrial grade NiMh D size cells with a capacity of 13,000mAhr these are all housed in one of those tool holders that look like a water bottle, power to the Active10 is via a car charger lead, power to the lights is tapped off at three volts and goes via another quick release connector.
A single point charger is all thats needed to top the bottle up, I have some pictures from when I made this somewhere on the PC, if I can dig them out I will post it up within its own thread - Mike
Speaking as one who struggles to keep the damp out of the A10 even when all the orifices are taped up I'd be worried about any kind of external power pack connected to the unit when out on a bike in the rain. How do you manage this?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't tend to ride the bike in the wet, and if I do the active10 will be powered only from its own rechargeable battery with the cover attached to the charging connector on the base of the unit - Mike
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I don't tend to ride the bike in the wet,...
Crikey! I'm gonna move to Blackpool. Down here in sunny Essex, it rains on me nearly every time I go out on me bike! Laughing Laughing

To revert to topic title, I don't need a slimmer battery, I need a fatter one, to fill the void in the case with longer battery life!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: