Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the iPhone Car Kit: We get our hands on it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the iPhone Car Kit: We get our hands on it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This device is expensive but you get a hands free kit, a GPS receiver, an iPhone mount and power supply. It's very well made and hugely adjustable too.

I had been using a Brodit Holder which was OK but the fake velvety covering is dreadful. Thankfully thats now in a drawer in the shed out of sight. Laughing
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possable to fit your Iphone in the holder with a low profile case on it ie I have a Ifrogx luxe case that is very slim and does not add to much bulk???
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
StuartAllen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Cases Reply with quote

Hi
I was using a power support crystal jacket but that is too thick. The fit is tight so I will opt for a sleeve now.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, the one I have is a sleeve type so it should fit ok, just for my info where did you purchase yours from, there does not seem to be many places that sell them?
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
SteveJS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom your ace just got trumped!!! Reply with quote

Well I Guess it was only a matter of time.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/28/google-adds-free-turn-by-turn-navigation-car-dock-ui-to-android/

of particular interest are some of the demonstration videos.

Know where I'm headed, let's just hope that Apple will allow the App to be written and distributed...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you didn't see our front page news item here about this?
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: mounting options Reply with quote

Is there any way I can use this with a brodit clip to make the install neater.

Also I am looking at getting a car with a iphone connecter. Is there a way of connecting this to the car via the mount ie a through port on the base.

Finally is there additional mount kits for other cars or do I have to move the whole unit over?

Many thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently as far as we know it is not possible to remove the mount to use with other systems such as Brodit without modification.

I don't know if the mini-USB connector allows access to the iPhone in the same way as the Sync port, if it does then all you;d need is a nini-USB - USB lead.

There are no other options, the mount is as is. If you do have a car with iPhone compatability, perhaps this Brodit holder would be more suitable. I use it with an Alpine iPod head unit and it works perfectly.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Currently as far as we know it is not possible to remove the mount to use with other systems such as Brodit without modification.

It is possible to seperate the windscreen sucker part from the actual mount but you would then have to fabricate something to attach to the cradle part:

Darren wrote:
I don't know if the mini-USB connector allows access to the iPhone in the same way as the Sync port, if it does then all you;d need is a nini-USB - USB lead.

If you connect the cradle to the computer via the USB socket it won't sync it just charges the phone. I use a normal TomTom car charger to power the cradle in the car.

The only way I can see to attach this to a Brodit Pro-Clip would be to stick a dash disk to the Pro Clip then attach the sucker to the dash disk - Mike
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Iphone kit fitted to the Brodit clip using the round disc sticky pad works ok here and get a good gps signal

mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttrevor wrote:
This is the Iphone kit fitted to the Brodit clip using the round disc sticky pad works ok here and get a good gps signal

Thanks for the photo. That looks like my answer very neat and you can still port the mount to other cars with ease, excellent.
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea you can remove easy enough and I can swing to landscape mod ect
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Just out of personal interest, any chance of a clearer picture of the rear with the mount and how it is attached?
Quote:
If you connect the cradle to the computer via the USB socket it won't sync it just charges the phone. I use a normal TomTom car charger to power the cradle in the car.

That is a foolish omission, why didn't they either allow the mini-USB to sync or fit a micro-USB if mini-USB doesn't have enough lines. The ability to connect to any head unit that accepts iPhone or MP3 would have been useful.
Quote:
The only way I can see to attach this to a Brodit Pro-Clip would be to stick a dash disk to the Pro Clip then attach the sucker to the dash disk - Mike

If the rear is flat with the suction part removed then you could conceivably fit a Brodit swivel mount using 3M adhesive tape and then affix to a Brodit ProClip. You could even use a MOVE clip to allow portability.

But given all that hassle I'm happy with my Brodit iPhone cradle. It lacks the amplified speaker but I can live without that. Nothing else the TT cradle offers is of use to me.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the easiest of things to photograph, I might try again later with the bigger flash gun fitted!

There is a ball and socket arangement between the two parts, the mount then rotates around the speaker, whilst it does look similar to the easy port mount you cannot remove the cradle from the sucker part as its all one assembly - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see now, thanks. In which case I see how just removing the suction mount would not leave you with a surface suitable for attaching a Brodit swivel mount.

It's a shame they didn't adopt the Easyport design with the clip off mount as there are third party solutions for that to interface with other mounting options including HR and Brodit.

Ho-hum, I'll stick with my Brodit which does all I need of it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: