Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Things In The Pipeline
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Things In The Pipeline
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Things In The Pipeline Reply with quote

Just returned from the Cycle Show at Earls Court and had a chat with a chap on the Satmap stand,

The Active 10 will encompass EGNOS in the next software update in about six weeks,POI functions will also be improved ( including different icons for different sorts of POI's ).

The weatherproof case for the unit will be available after Christmas at a price of £40.

He was not aware of the fragility of the battery plug,wasn't aware of an option to change the route colour in the forthcoming update.

They don't really know what to do about screen visibility and are still working on it.

After Christmas the Route Planner will expand to fill the whole screen.The reason it doesn't now is that each "chunk" of size is charged extra by the OS ( I knew they would be behind it somewhere ) and Satmap wsn't sure originally how much it would be used and hence they started off gradually.

And finally the bods at Satmap regularly scan this forum to see what we are talking bout,the word "avidly" was used.

Ian
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Things In The Pipeline Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
The reason it doesn't now is that each "chunk" of size is charged extra by the OS

Pardon my French but the OS really do take the ****ing sometimes!!! Rolling Eyes I can see it now, when the Active 20 comes out with a 4 inch screen we'll need to buy the maps all over again just because our current license only allows us to see 3.5 inches at a time.

I presume the answer to the screen visability lies in whatever antireflecting coatings camera makers put on their pro dSLR lcd screens.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Apple Mac compatibility mentioned? Promised for 'later this year' which is rapidly running out.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axys wrote:
Was Apple Mac compatibility mentioned? Promised for 'later this year' which is rapidly running out.

I second that...
HJC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacSync was actually promised the middle of last year.
Reading another thread I just cannot understand why they haven't gone down the line of getting the sync through the SDcard rather than try and get a windows machine talk Mac.
Sad
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. It has me wondering why a weatherproof case needs to be developed, when the unit is already sold as waterproof! Perhaps those of us who bought them on the understanding, that amongst other things, it would actually keep the rain out, and now know that it doesn't, will be given one free of charge. Whoops -mind that pig flying past the window! And yes - I know for certain that all the rubber port covers are properly closed, but mine, like many others, still ships water. A shame, because I've got so as I don't risk it in rain on my bike - out comes the trusty Garmin,

Rick
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

I've heard of Garmins leaking before now.

I think they must be a much of a muchness as the new Memory Map Adventurer 2800 is advertised as "Waterproof" on the flyer I picked up at Earls Court but when I asked the chap on the M-M stand if it was waterproof or not he gave a very evasive reply which more or less consisted of "Well,not excatly waterPROOF "

Ian
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,
All I can do is speak as I find - my Satmap leaks in light rain - although otherwise I love it. None of the 5 Garmins I've used ever have done. I'm fairly sure that what happens is that the rain gets under the screen cover, forms a film of water, which then finds its way into the unit,

Rick
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

I tend to use my Active 10 in an Ortlieb document case so it doesn't get the opportunity to leak,but as yours does leak I would return it to Satmap and get it fixed,it is under a two year warranty after all and it should not leak.

It is advertised as waterproof.

Ian
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard any rumours about a new consumer Satmap unit? There's a cryptic comment in the article here http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6372
While talking about the new Memory Map GPS, the article says "The unit has a state of the art, 50-channel GPS receiver, weighs 135 grammes including battery - Satmap Active 10 is 225 grammes, but watch this space"

That's my bold. Anyone know what they're hinting at?!
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I spoke to the SatMap guy in Earl Court he said the waterproof jacket 'had been developed for use by the military'. So perhaps it is a spin off from the MX version. Like Bosun I couldn't stir up much interest in improving the battery connectors; he argued that once the Li-pol was in place it wouldn't have to removed. Say that to me when (as happened a few weeks ago) my A10 rechargeable went flat on the coast to coast walk in fog and drizzle!
nonofabove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC wrote:
MacSync was actually promised the middle of last year.
Reading another thread I just cannot understand why they haven't gone down the line of getting the sync through the SDcard rather than try and get a windows machine talk Mac.
Sad

Im a little confused here. SatSync V1.212 apparently allows you to transfer routes - import/export files directly via the SD card without the need of the A10 itself. Well, I havent been able to do this so far. When I plug the SD card in to my PC and launch SatSync, I get no maps/routes to view or import/export - has anyone managed to get this to work using just the SD card?
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonofabove wrote:
has anyone managed to get this to work using just the SD card?

yes.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonofabove wrote:

Im a little confused here. SatSync V1.212 apparently allows you to transfer routes - import/export files directly via the SD card without the need of the A10 itself. Well, I havent been able to do this so far. When I plug the SD card in to my PC and launch SatSync, I get no maps/routes to view or import/export - has anyone managed to get this to work using just the SD card?

I've not used the facility before ,usually use the A10, but have just tried it and I am the same,no files showing in SatSync after plugging the SD card into a card reader.

Ian
RavingDave
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosun wrote:
nonofabove wrote:

I've not used the facility before ,usually use the A10, but have just tried it and I am the same,no files showing in SatSync after plugging the SD card into a card reader.

Ian

With the SD card plugged into the PC the files don't show up in the Satsync window, but you can still select the Convert to .GPX and Convert to .MAP buttons. Pressing either of these allows you to read/write a route from/to the SD card using standard windows file selection windows.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: