Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wired GPS receiver for iPAQ 214
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wired GPS receiver for iPAQ 214

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Wired GPS receiver for iPAQ 214 Reply with quote

I have just purchased an iPAQ 214. it is being used with TT Nav6 I am aware of the problems with the screen and I have upgraded to 6.03.

I am trying to find any wired GPS unit that I can use with the iPAQ. I do not want a BT receiver it must be a wired one. So far I cant seem to find any compatable wired units. I know there must be one, but when I look on the compatablity list of the receivers the iPAQ 214 is not listed.

Thanks

Howard
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howard,

Almost no PDAs support USB Host any more (and anyway USB drivers for PPC/GPS are not available) so the only possible wired interface seems to be "RS232" serial. You might be able to get a cable for the HP to connect its 24-pin connector to a standard '9-pin D' serial connector. Note that the RS232 interface does not normally carry a power connection so the GPS will still require its own (or an external) battery.

However, most wired GPS receivers are intended to be driven by a USB Host although a few (like the Holux 236) have a serial interface on their "Mini USB" power connector. But note that the interface on the Holux is not USB (client), nor standard RS232, but requires a level shifter/inverter to connect to a standard PC COM port. It is just possible that the HP also uses these inverted "CMOS/TTL" signal levels but a suitable cable would almost certainly be a DIY job.

Why don't you want to use Bluetooth? If you want the GPS to be powered from the PDA then a Compact Flash GPS receiver might be a possibility, but I think you will find that others on this forum recommend that these are no longer used in preference to Bluetooth devices.

Personally, I would use the Bluetooth communications interface and a 'Y' cable to power/charge the HP and GPS from the 'cigar' lighter socket in the car when appropriate.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply. The reason I cant use bluetooth is that I am driving about 8 hours and the BT unit just hasnt got that charge time so I end up with a sat nav that I cant connect to.
I am at the moment invetigating a CF gps receiver with a separate charging cable which would seem to suit my needs.

Howard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find it the Holux CF GR-271 is a cracking CF based receiver and very low power, I think I did a write up for that device on the site somewhere - Mike
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Howard,

If you need (or want an excuse) to buy a new GPS receiver then Mike's recommendation is sufficient, although personally I consider BT devices to be more flexible. However, if it's basically just a power supply issue (and indeed I find the car to be the most convenient place to charge my kit) there should be much cheaper solutions:

PC-mobile.net offer many types of cable/adapters and can be recommended, but they're not particularly cheap, the website not easy to navigate ("too much infomation") and you may have to wait a few weeks for it to come from Hong Kong.

For many systems a really cheap 'Y' cable is that intended for the Sony PSP, many on ebay for just a few Pounds. It has a USB A plug at one end (which can plug into a car cigar-USB adapter, also a pound or two) and feeds a USB mini-B plug (used for charging many devices now) and a 1.7/4.0mm coaxial plug (used by many PDAs, etc., often via an adapter).

However, I did find an issue operating my HP 114 from external power supplies (I don't know if the same applies to the 214). It charged fine from the supplied HP PSU and PCs, but refused to charge from other mini-B equipped chargers. Eventually, I discovered that the (or anyway my) 114 requires a bias voltage to be applied to at least one of the USB data pins before it will charge. The HP charger indeed delivers this but many generic chargers don't.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Alan.

I actually emailed HP for an answer to my problem. They replied they didnt support third party devices and they reccommended either an SD or a CF GPS receiver. So hopefully the power lead I intend to buy that will connect to the USB socket will power the 214 correctly.

Howard
ERICJB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: POWER SUPPLY Reply with quote

Hi you could use an inverter into your cig lighter socket & use your mains charger from that
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Howarduk

I have a Blue-tooth receiver power directly from the electrical center in my car, (in the Boot) its on all the time and I never have any problems.
Watch out with the power supply for your pda you will need to check the output as the the 500 M/amp ones will not keep it charge and powerd on at the same time.. So I got the original equipment one from hp...

powers it up and charges without problems...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: