Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Need to show tenths on iGO 8 Trip Computer screens
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Need to show tenths on iGO 8 Trip Computer screens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Need to show tenths on iGO 8 Trip Computer screens Reply with quote

Hello.

Does anyone know how to have Tenths of a mile (0.1, 0.2, etc.) show on the Trip Computer screens over and above 20 miles. Tenths are displayed up to 20 miles, but then it only displays whole mile values. It is very frustrating when attempting to follow detailed instructions over a reasonable distance, for example on a rally.

Hopefully there is something simple to add into the SYS file in the IGO8 directory (folder).

I am running iGO 8.3.2.97313
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. After a month and a half of silence, is it possible that one of these "skin" things may have a solution to keeping the decimal point in the Total Distance field past the first 19 miles?
Any help please will be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to remember to have a look in my skin later to see if the tenths is deliberately suppressed ove 20miles
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line that sets the size, position etc of the total distance is in the active data.zip file

In my case its at Igo8\content\skin\TT33.zip
Within my zip file it's at TT33.zip\ui_igo8\320_240\ui\tripcomputer_320_240.ui

The line itself is
~TEXT txt_trip_totaldist template=txt_tripcomp_value x=8 y=158 text="0.0" textmodel_wstr="other.tripcomputer.distance_total.number_text" fixedwidthnumbers=1 fontsize=30~
(~ is open and close triangular bracket)
Your X,y and fontsize values will probably be different.
The distance comes from "other.tripcomputer.distance_total.number_text"
I have tried altering the 'fixedwidthnumbers' parameters but this makes no difference. I expect that the 'other.tripcomputer.distance_total.number_text' is formatted by IGO to behave as you say.
I wonder if Linknet is on the side, he can possibly shed more light on this.

OK, a lot of typing, but no solution, sorry. Confused
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
I expect that the
'other.tripcomputer.distance_total.number_text' is formatted by IGO to behave as you say.

That's exactly right, it's formatted internally by iGO in the executable, so no chance of changing it.
You could try ".full_text" instead of ".number_text" but I wouldn't be too hopeful.

Another point, just to throw a spanner in the works, is how accurate is the trip distance in the first place. To display increments of 0.1ml after 20mls may be pointless if the uncertainty in the distance is more than that.

Regards

linknet
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation linknet. I suspected that you woiuld be lurking an IGO topic Very Happy

linknet wrote:
Another point, just to throw a spanner in the works, is how accurate is the trip distance in the first place. To display increments of 0.1ml after 20mls may be pointless if the uncertainty in the distance is more than that.

Suspect that it would be a good experiment, but how do you accurately measure the distance to start with?? Over a longish distance route I suppose
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Suspect that it would be a good experiment, but how do you accurately measure the distance to start with?? Over a longish distance route I suppose.

Perhaps over a long straight road with distance markers, but that would probably show it to be quite accurate. The errors are most likely to occur on twisty roads as iGO takes the straight line distance between each GPS point and adds these up (assumption) rather than taking the actual distance around each curve.

linknet
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'ts possible to show the underlying value in metres without formatting like this:

Code:
Original:

{TEXT   txt_trip_totaldist template=txt_tripcomp_value x=8   y=168 text="0.0" textmodel_wstr="other.tripcomputer.distance_total.number_text" fixedwidthnumbers=1 }

{TEXT   txt_trip_totaldistlbl template=txt_tripcomp_unit x=78  y=176 w=23 text="km" textmodel_wstr="other.tripcomputer.distance_total.unit_text" }

Code:
Replace with:

{TEXT   txt_trip_totaldist template=txt_tripcomp_value x=8   y=168 text="0"   textmodel_wstr="other.tripcomputer.distance_total.value"       fixedwidthnumbers=1 }

{TEXT   txt_trip_totaldistlbl template=txt_tripcomp_unit x=78  y=176 w=23 text="m" }

(replace curly brackets with arrow brackets)

That gives the value in metres irrespective of the regional settings, you just need a handy pocket calculator with you.

linknet
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or some type of lookup table Very Happy Not too practical to conv M to Miles though Confused
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Or some type of lookup table Very Happy Not too practical to conv M to Miles though Confused

I seem to remember something about lookup tables before, wasn't that one of your projects. Wink

linknet
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for this.

I take the point on accuracy and understand that when the sat nav follows an arc the calculated distance is the chord of that arc and not the circumference. Also that the accuracy is dependent on the quality of the satellite fixes, the speed of travel and the beat frequency of the satellite fixes. Thus, slow speed, good satellite fix and frequent beats gives the more accurate calculation.

Out of interest, I followed a route calculated by the sat nav to be 20 miles distance (over fairly twisting roads) and set the trip at the beginning and checked at the end. The trip distance showed 20 miles (but that could be 20.9 miles rounded). I will try with a shorter and much longer trip to see what differences may come into play.

I will try the metre option as soon as I can pluck up the courage to start fiddling with the zip file – I have unpacked it and found the file. For the novice, does changing the active data.zip file require iGO to be unloaded and reloaded, or will the new data.zip be picked up automatically next time the s/w is called?
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alab wrote:
I will try the metre option as soon as I can pluck up the courage to start fiddling with the zip file – I have unpacked it and found the file. For the novice, does changing the active data.zip file require iGO to be unloaded and reloaded, or will the new data.zip be picked up automatically next time the s/w is called?

As long as you keep a backup of the original data.zip you can't do any harm, the modified data.zip will be picked up the next time you start iGO. If you have made a mistake iGO will probably throw up an error and exit, but restoring the original data.zip will restore everything back to normal. You need to edit the file corresponding to the resolution(s) you are using, the example above assumes a 320x240 resolution but that may be different for your device.

linknet
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linknet wrote:
M8TJT wrote:

I seem to remember something about lookup tables before, wasn't that one of your projects. Wink

Yes, but you cracked that one (meters to ft {Plus or minus mount everest}) Very Happy Very Happy
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alab wrote:
I take the point on accuracy and understand that when the sat nav follows an arc the calculated distance is the chord of that arc and not the circumference.

I don't think so otherwise the trip would always under-read, and what happens if you drive a circular (ish) route?

alab wrote:
Out of interest, I followed a route calculated by the sat nav to be 20 miles distance (over fairly twisting roads) and set the trip at the beginning and checked at the end. The trip distance showed 20 miles (but that could be 20.9 miles rounded).

My guess is that the trip distance is updated once a second (GPS update interval) adding the distance that you have travelled in the last second to the running total.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: