Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - When will Garmin update their maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

When will Garmin update their maps?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very disillusioned with Garmin over this issue.
Does NuMaps stand for No Update Maps?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: NuMaps = No Maps Reply with quote

Quite right. NuMaps does mean No Update Maps and it alone has taken me from being a satisfied Garmin customer to never buying another Garmin product

In fact I recently changed a works order for 15 Garmin units to 15 Navigon units with their FreshMaps - less expensive and - guess what - you GET THE UPDATES YOU ARE PROMISED and PAY FOR

I for one have left rip-off Garmin for ever. Hopefully there are many more out there that have done the same too. They don't even acknowledge there is a problem, which I guess is half the battle
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xtraseller, are you happy with the Navigon units?
I'm actually thinking to get rid of my nuvi 750 as it is very slow, with low screen refresh rate and for its huge lag. I'm not happy with its overall performance
Are navigon units any better on lag issues?
I was thinking about tom tom too, but they haven't got as accurate maps for Greece as Navteq has
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsdinos wrote:
I'm actually thinking to get rid of my nuvi 750 as it is very slow, with low screen refresh rate and for its huge lag.

Do you happen to be using the SD card for Custom POIs? ... that's one thing that the 7x0 series doesn't like (for some reason). My 760 was updating once every 5 seconds at one point - removing the SD Custom POIs solved the problem. (Unfortunately, the contents were far too big to copy to the internal memory - I just have to do without).
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Navigon Reply with quote

Yes I have a 520 TomTom, Navman S100t, Garmin Nuvi 765t and the Navigon 4350Max (£165 for Halfords then £15 for 2 years / 8 updates maps if registered within 30 days and you use the inbox voucher)

The Navigon is the only unit I now use - if I get one of the other units out (and none of them are really bad - except the slow redraw of the 765t and map issue with Garmin NuMaps which has really annoyed me), I get fed up of them within an hour or so of navigating

The sensible routing and in particular the MyRoutes tool (3 options of route each shown for you to choose) is excellent

All the navigating features are there, and all work great

My only likes would be more voices (there is no choice for tts other than language choice), and zoom level (although this is fine, could sometimes be a little closer)

I expect to buy the new 6350 Live from Navigon when its released, as their live data and live map updates sound spectacular

Add to that 2 years / 8 map updates for £15 (and map updates that happen!) and its a bargain

Recommended!
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps

Last edited by xtraseller on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsdinos - you'd better BELIEVE xtraseller Razz (No significant lag seems to occur BTW).
cdmackay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Burn 180, I'll let you tell him that. Guillaume doesn't have much of a sense of humor. Gun Shoot Out

Seriously tho, he's still claiming any day now [...]

what's he claiming now, I wonder? Smile
mupp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Garmin couldn't care less about a few impatient customers who feel ripped off by a misleading sales pitch. In the big scheme they can weather our whinges.
My pesonal opinion of them has gone way down, I've been waiting months for a pre-ordered Foretrex 301 (promised by Garmin 2nd quarter, then 3rd quarter, still no sign) so I bought a Genie BGT31 instead. I won't recommend Garmin to others and regret buying my Nuvi 550, and seriously regret buying Garmin lifetime maps. I will be surprised if I see an update this year :-(

Edit - eat my words, it's actually out !!
rde4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I read forums like this with people moaning about this and that, I think to myself that the poster needs to get a life and that there are more important things in the world to worry about that little things about map updates for example.

But it seems that hits 60 day free map update and the delay of the release of updated maps has really got under my skin. I replaced my Streetpilot C510 with a Nuvi 255 in July thinking that the map would be up do date, but having splashed out on a new unit, I find i am having to pay for a map update as well! The Swindon bypass down the road - finished spring 2009 - isn't on my unit and to get it I am having to spend either seventy or over a hundred quid. Even then, I don't really know if it will be on there!

It looks to me that Garmin satnavs just DON'T DO WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN, grrr.

Got that off my chest, feel better now!
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Swindon bypass is on the 2010.20 map Cool
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigon Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
Add to that 2 years / 8 map updates for £15 (and map updates that happen!) and its a bargain

Recommended!

The US customers haven't been treated as well. Here map updates "don't happen". Owners who bought their 2 and 3 yr FreshMaps subscriptions haven't seen an update since April. Despite paying Navigon in advance for up to 8 updates (in the case of 2 years cards), they may never see more than the 1 or 2 they already received. Navigon owners here in the States are not a happy bunch.

Also, FWIW I didn't see where this thread included that Garmin's latest Europe map, 2010.2, was released on Oct. 22nd.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wish to derail this Garmin thread, so perhaps these Navigon posts could be hived off by the moderators (including this one of course Cool ).

As far as Navigon is concerned, the US site says
Quote:
NAVIGON continues to support Fresh Maps and Traffic* services .
Customers who have purchased these services shall receive delivery of them in accordance with the service terms at the time of purchase. The delivery mechanism for Fresh Maps will remain NAVIGON Fresh. Both our customer service and warranty operations are available to our customers, please select CONTACT NAVIGON SUPPORT below and complete the form. You will be contacted within 48 hours.

Are they not honouring this pledge, gatorguy6996?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is currently no Navigon warranty mechanism for the US that I know of. Owners with problems have just been attempting to return their devices to the point of purchase. As stated earlier, no map updates are available for NA devices since April.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you have already done it then gatorguy6996 - I'd be interested to know what response you got with
Quote:
select CONTACT NAVIGON SUPPORT below and complete the form. You will be contacted within 48 hours.
Confused Confused
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following was received from Navigon in early October by a forum member in response to a question about future updates availability:

"Dear NAVIGON Customer

Thank you for your inquiry.

We regret having to inform that due to technical reasons accessories, map material issues and contents are currently not available in North America through NAVIGON.

Unfortunately we don't have information concerning the availability of these products at other major retail shops either.

Sincerely
pP Philips
--------------
NAVIGON Support Team
E-Mail: support.us@navigon.com

If you have further questions, please attach previous e-mails"

The same e-mail has been received by at least one other member, so it appears to be a canned response.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: