Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin's Nuvifone to be available in the US Oct 4th!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin's Nuvifone to be available in the US Oct 4th!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Garmin's Nuvifone to be available in the US Oct 4th! Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comFew of us ever thought it would see the light of day but Garmin seem determined to see flog this particular dead horse and see the Nuvifone G60 through to the bitter end.

Released earlier this year in the Far East, Gamin's Nuvifone G60 is to be launched in the US on October 4th on the AT&T network at $399.00 with a $100 mail in rebate available off that price.

Connected services are available on subscription at $5.99 after the 30-day trial period. On a phone it is difficult to justify additional costs for services delivered via the phones data connection.

Delayed nearly two years, the Nuvifone has lost the lead it would have had 18mths ago. Even with the mail in rebate it is a very expensive proposition and it remains to be seen if there is a market for this device.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Boss but I have to ask this:

Oct 4th 2009 or Oct 4th 201?

I wouldn't be surprised to see it slip again even at the eleventh hour, it will be interesting to see if this ever goes on sale in the UK and if so at what price as I cannot see an 18 month old product selling well when you compare it to whats currently available from HTC, Apple, Sony Ericson etc - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put its US price into perspective it's $100 more than an iPhone, already an expensive phone, and that's AFTER the $100 mail in rebate.

Can't see how it could possibly sell in big numbers at that price. No-one will develop apps for it, it's a closed system and a dead duck as far as I can see.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually had really high hopes for the nuvi fone but it's just taken far far far too long to surface...

still, it'd be interesting to see if we can get a review sample at some point. they've been very "ooh, don't touch it it's my toy" at all the trade fairs, would be nice to get my hands on one!!

to be honest though i don;t think we'll see it here in the uk... maybe one of the WinMo versions though.

MaFt
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the time they have taken to customise their own version of Linux has been the downfall of this device. It should have gone to market a long time ago.

I believe they have committed themselves to Android for future devices, which should be much cheaper and quicker to develop, maybe they will get it right with one of these devices in the near future.

They would certainly need to up the specs and have a real added value USP for it to work, as well as a competitive price.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrengsaw wrote:
They would certainly need to up the specs and have a real added value USP for it to work, as well as a competitive price.

i don't think it has ANY unique selling points now does it?!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a Do Not Buy comment in a review before:

Gizmodo clearly don't like it but the bigger question is how/why is it so bad after such a protracted development period and WHY did Garmin let this out of the labs if it has so many issues?

Garmin #fail
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worst review ever, isn't it!
MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: