Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wales Plans Mobile Average Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wales Plans Mobile Average Speed Cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Wales Plans Mobile Average Speed Cameras Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comAccording to the "Intelligence for the Public Services Community" website Kable, the Welsh government is planning the introduction of mobile average speed cameras. Mobile cameras were chosen as they offer flexibility as to where they are placed.

The cameras will use automatic numberplate recognition (ANPR) technology to record the time taken to travel between two fixed points.

A report submitted to the National Assembly for Wales Enterprise and Learning Committee says, "Evidence has shown that average speed cameras are more effective in achieving driver compliance. We recommend further investment in, and greater use of, mobile camera technology on the trunk road network in Wales."

It also says it would like to see an increase in human interaction between police and drivers in addition to the use of cameras.

Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another money grabbing scheme, mind you the Welsh PF's are known for it, Brunstrom of the NW Plod, was a notorious little Hitler when it came to speed & he used all the sneaky tricks in the book too.
jimi571
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Nothing to Fear? Reply with quote

I think that average speed cams are a good thing, they produce a consistent approach from drivers rather than slowdown, speed up, slowdown.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Nothing to Fear? Reply with quote

jimi571 wrote:
I think that average speed cams are a good thing, they produce a consistent approach from drivers rather than slowdown, speed up, slowdown.

Disagree on this one, turns a lot of people into speedo watchers instead of watching the road. I have witnessed 1 accident and a lot of "nearlies" in SPEC camera zones just because people were spending too much time glancing down at their speed and not paying attention to the car in front. Wrong I know, but it happens
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that quite surprising s3dbw. I can understand it more with the ordinary 'catch-you-if-I-can' GATSOs, but if some one is so unsure of their speed over a distance of several miles, and so easily distracted, I'd be giving them a pretty wide berth myself.
wetsleet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I find that quite surprising s3dbw. I can understand it more with the ordinary 'catch-you-if-I-can' GATSOs, but if some one is so unsure of their speed over a distance of several miles, and so easily distracted, I'd be giving them a pretty wide berth myself.

A wide berth - if the idiots all had a pink flashing light, or whatever, and a sign saying "idiot" in big letters I suppose we would have that choice. But then we are all that idiot sometimes.
stevemlee566
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: More ways of getting money Reply with quote

Well it was only a matter of time before the Welsh assembly found a way or re-claiming all the money it wasted on the M4 by-pass plans.

It wasted millions of tax payers cash and has now found itself with a large black whole. Why oh why must we always bail out these idiots who waste money are we not taxed enough on oour cars?

I live in West Wales and we can't even get a dual carriage way for the A40 from St Clears west, as there is not enough cash in the pot. Yet the Assembly is all too happy to claim the tax on the fuel leaving the refineries and the new LNG site.

So much for the government that is apposed to stealth taxes, after all is this not a You're Going Too Fast Tax?????
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered what would happen if you didn't stay on the monitored road all the way between two cameras, but your satnav took you via a shortcut after passing the first camera and popped out onto the monitored road just before the second camera - and your average speed was deemed to be too high but you had never exceeded the speed limit?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:

How would you give everyone a wide berth when all vehicles are scrunched together all doing 50MPH in a 50 limit in all 3 lanes of a motorway, as everyone sets cruise control to the maximum legal speed.

It's called elephant racing, which truck drivers do on every road.

At least without cameras you can find a bit of space to yourself.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was really that such drivers deserve care and consideration when you spot them - after all, s3dbw has been able to and (presumably) avoid them Laughing . That is, I meant the fault lies with those drivers who can't monitor their own speed, NOT with the installation of Specs cameras, which I thought was his argument. But these drivers can't be using cruise control either or they surely wouldn't be having to watch their speedo. That's one of the great uses I find for it Wink

I agree, it's not always possible to get right away from dodgy drivers. But if I spot them, I will always put some distance between me and them, sometimes for example, with REALLY dangerous/obstructive ones in the fast lane, using the slow lane as long as the central lane is clear. Or possibly drop back until they go their own way.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

culzean wrote:
I have always wondered what would happen if you didn't stay on the monitored road all the way between two cameras, but your satnav took you via a shortcut after passing the first camera and popped out onto the monitored road just before the second camera - and your average speed was deemed to be too high but you had never exceeded the speed limit?

You get an NIP. But on most specs areas, side entry and exit points are normally covered by the cams.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to believe you might possibly take a shortcut off the M4 and back on again further along around that area of Wales. But if you did and still exceeded average of 50mph, you'd rightly earn a ticket!

There are some more comments HERE

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: