Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OS maps Uk on iphone?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OS maps Uk on iphone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.routebuddy.com/store/index.html
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Neil, So guide me through the process - I go to the store on my computer and find the map I want to buy and then purchase it - how does that work - what do I get and how does it then get loaded onto the iPhone as it is not using the iTunes store, or is it?
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a graphical way of finding the OS Map you want? - rather than having to scroll through an alphabetical list of map names, not knowing what name to look for?
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! - I found the Server help in the settings of the app - that sounds neat - if only Sygic would implement something like this for their Maps instead of bundling them with the app!
RouteBuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3GGG wrote:
Aha! - I found the Server help in the settings of the app - that sounds neat - if only Sygic would implement something like this for their Maps instead of bundling them with the app!

Hi,

I'm sorry to say we're trying to keep up with it all down here in Surrey! I will be out of the office for the next couple of days on a long-planned trip but for any urgent enquiries please write to Jannion here: support@RouteBuddy.com and she'll be able to help.

Neil
------------------
www.RouteBuddy.com
RouteBuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3GGG wrote:
Have you considered a graphical way of finding the OS Map you want? - rather than having to scroll through an alphabetical list of map names, not knowing what name to look for?

Yes. This we'll be building into our store. For now you could look at the one on the Ordnance Survey page as a useful guide. (See Explorer map section under Leisure.)

Neil
------------------
www.RouteBuddy.com
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Neil, it is all clear now. Congrats on the new app for the iPhone.
HJC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just noticed that Routebuddy are now doing the
Whole of the UK with all of the 1:50,000 scale digital Explorer sheets for £9.99 each will run in the iPhone 'Atlas' app.
Slightly spoilt for choice as to which one to go for first Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed this then?
HJC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did indeed miss the news flash Embarassed
Quite how that happened I know not.
Anyway I agree with you, the installation process is a doddle, well it certainly has been for me on a Mac.
It would be nice if RB could find a way of linking the maps together
Rebnats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Route Buddy Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking that Route Buddy can only be usedon a Mac only. Therefore for Vista users only their Atlas App can be used. If so would you be able to create routes or transfer any routes on the Atlas App.
Cheers.
RouteBuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Route Buddy Reply with quote

Rebnats wrote:
Am I right in thinking that Route Buddy can only be usedon a Mac only. Therefore for Vista users only their Atlas App can be used. If so would you be able to create routes or transfer any routes on the Atlas App.
Cheers.

Hi,

Your first comment is correct.

You could create a route in Google Earth, or some of the online map services, for transfer from your PC to the RouteBuddy Atlas application over your file server.

Import and Export of Waypoints, Routes and Tracks is coming in a future release of Atlas as a free upgrade.

Neil
------------------
www.RouteBuddy.com
DingleRoad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Route Buddy Reply with quote

RouteBuddy wrote:
Rebnats wrote:
Cheers.

Hi,

Your first comment is correct.

You could create a route in Google Earth, or some of the online map services, for transfer from your PC to the RouteBuddy Atlas application over your file server.

Import and Export of Waypoints, Routes and Tracks is coming in a future release of Atlas as a free upgrade.

Neil
------------------
www.RouteBuddy.com

Neil,

I have bought a couple of OS maps for my Iphone and they work just fine.But the strength of the GPS signal is always going to be an issue on the ipone and it's a bit delicate for taking out hiking.

However for me, the Holy Grail would be something like a Tom Tom 740 for car navigation and with the ability to run Route Buddy OS maps on the Tom Tom. Is this at all possible at the moment or in the forseable future ?
RouteBuddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: RouteBuddy Reply with quote

DingleRoad wrote:

Neil,

I have bought a couple of OS maps for my Iphone and they work just fine.But the strength of the GPS signal is always going to be an issue on the ipone and it's a bit delicate for taking out hiking.

Thanks for your support!
* With regards to the signal strength I must say I've been pleasantly surprised, the only time I've ever had a problem was when in a sunken road or under very heavy tree cover (oaks).
* The issue over 'delicacy' is an interesting one; I think that because we see dedicated GPS devices as clunky/chunky pieces of equipment then we assume they are strong and a mobile phone isn't. However if you consider how many millions of mobile phones must be accidentally dropped onto hard city pavements day after day and, although scratched or dented, still just work. Of course mobile manufacturers, Apple included, could not wear the cost of phones being returned for stopping work only after a single drop on a pavement, so they must be quite tough, especially the internal electronics.

Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if the internal electronics are perhaps tougher than those in dedicated GPS devices, the mobile companies certainly earn more that they can put into building better and tougher technology than the GPS manufacturers.

Of course the weakest part of either a dedicated GPS or an iPhone is the screen; So, if an iPhone is in a case like the Otterbox Armor and compared to a dedicated GPS then are they just as tough as each other? More or less?
See PocketGPSWorld Otterbox review here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/otterboxes.php

Quote:
However for me, the Holy Grail would be something like a Tom Tom 740 for car navigation and with the ability to run Route Buddy OS maps on the Tom Tom. Is this at all possible at the moment or in the forseable future ?

Anything is possible! But I think that a car unit may fail on the features you need for an outdoor one. Unless you want to use it in your 4X4! ;-))

Apologies for the slow response, we've been working on new maps and more features for Atlas and there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day!

neil
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Route Buddy Reply with quote

DingleRoad wrote:

A few years ago I did put Open Street map data on my TomTom 910 which worked quite well even though it was a real pain to set up, as the map data was simply tiles of a specific size grabbed from a simple screen capture on the PC it would be possible to do the same with OS maps.
The issue is one of copyright and whether it is legal to even do this. When we were at the Sandown GPS expo a couple of years ago my 910 was available for people to see running the OSM map - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: