Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Roadhawk in-car camera GPS and black box system
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Roadhawk in-car camera GPS and black box system
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelmo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I take it that if I had both my satnav and Roadhawk connected to my cigar lighter socket there would be enough power?

Both my sat nav and roadhawk work together from the cigar lighter with no problem with power.

BigPerk wrote:
Is there a possible privacy problem if Roadhawk is left on when parked, assuming a more permanent connection is set up? I would quite like it in those circumstances too (at least identify any clumsy person leaving a dent in the front!).

Mine is left permantly in the vehicle too much trouble to remove everytime but it is not permantly powered so no privicy problems, the problem I see leaving it permantly powered is tha thieves could see the led and could be tempted, probably not even now what they are stealing. with the power off it is very discreet behind the rear view mirror.
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price of the Roadhawk is now down to £199 which is a lot more appealing.
The SmartWitness camera is also available in a non gps mode which might appeal to those who would rather not provide evidence of speed at the time of the accident.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've published the review now. Roadhawk have received a huge amount of publicity as a result of this YouTUBE footage and have reduced the price to £199.99 as a result.

I think its a superb unit, very easy to install and use and great evidence should you ever need it.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
Possibly useful if YOU run into somebody else but what if somebody runs into your back-end or side?

I think many American cameras (eg Drive Cam) also record the rearward view. You could always buy two Smile

This looks like a really nice piece of kit but it's a shame this unit is so bulky. There are much smaller cameras on the market - eg http://www.smartwitness.com/
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure Smartwitness is that much smaller, difficult to tell from the site but certainly the RH-1 is small enough that it cannot be seen from the driver seat when installed behind the rear view mirror.

It's certainly unobtrusive when installed.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, any idea if this camera is exactly the same as the XDriven camera? the XDriven is cheaper and seems to look identical. I wonder who the original manufactuer is?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't, certainly looks identical but whether there are specification differences I couldn't say. It lists the same recording modes so probably the same.

Expansys don't make it very clear if the temporary suction mount is included in their model but if you plan on a permanent install then that won't be a consideration.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Discount Code Reply with quote

If ordering from dogcamsport.co.uk, use promo code mtbuk2000 for a £10 (5%) discount Smile

According to users on another forum, the Expansys one does NOT come with the suction mount (worth £20).

I've ordered one now and it was apparently dispatched within 10 minutes! Thanks for the review Darren.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent and good work with the promo code. It's a nice device, cable clips etc are supplied and for hard wire just snip off cigarette plug as it accepts 12v natively.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is a personal review by Wannabyourhero of the Smart Witness Vehicle Journey Recorder which might be of interest. It mentions several features which do not seem as good as the Roadhawk, such as the total recording time and the resolution.

Admin Edit to insert link to the referenced thread
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
Can it be removed from the car and used hand-held to record detail after the event?

I don't think it has any internal batteries, and requires external power to work. Ensure any punch-ups caused by the other party occur in front of your front bumper Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, requires external 12v power and wide angle lens not best suited for anything other than view forwards.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a mini digital key-ring camera from Digital Dream's L'Espion, which I carried in case of the need to take photographs outside the car. It cost about £25. I have been looking for a replacement recently, but it seems to be out of stock now unfortunately.

If anyone knows of an equivalent, it would provide a cheap (admittedly low-res) solution for external photographs (and I'd like to know!. Cool )
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital photos aren't necessarily great evidence for use in accidents etc because the images can be tampered with or manipulated. The very best solution is a cheap disposable film camera.

That will give you photos that will be accepted as well as negatives to back them up.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine this morning. Very impressed with video quality as it doesn't look at all YouTubey Smile The hardest thing is going to be trying to find a source of ignition switched power that I can easily run a cable to... I don't think there's anything I can use in the headlining, so I'm going to have run a cable all the way down to the ciggy lighter area (thankfully they supply quite a long cable!).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: