Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How can I? .... Is it possible?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I? .... Is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: How can I? .... Is it possible? Reply with quote

I have a GO 540 Live and generally am very happy with it but there are a couple of things that bug me!
    1) Map corrections - e.g. at the end of my road there is a large grassed area which forms a triangle before reaching the main road - going up the left fork or right fork of the triangle allows access to the main road. When my route requires me to turn right at the main road I naturally take the right fork but TT wants me to go up the left fork and turn right ... totally unnecessary.
    The GO 540 has 'Map Corrections' but I can't work out how to help it see that going up the left fork is wrong - does 'Map Corrections' mean that I can get it to change its mind? If so, how do I do it?

2) Speed corrections - I often come accross incorrect road speed advisory e.g. TT nags me to reduce to 30 in a stretch of 40 when there are a number of road speed changes on a particular relatively short stretch of road. I've tried changing the speed limit via corrections but it seems to want to change the whole stretch of road without allowing me to 'mark' a start/finish to the speed changes. Is it possible to do this or is that too much for TT (or me!) to work out?

Any advice from you TT experts would be much appreciated Smile
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just because your Tomtom shows that route does not mean you have to follow it just ignor it. If your way is easier go that way, you do not have to follow its instructions.

Mike
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

washman wrote:
Hi

Just because your Tomtom shows that route does not mean you have to follow it just ignor it. If your way is easier go that way, you do not have to follow its instructions.

Mike

I think I understand that! Shocked
Sometimes errors are not so obvious as my 'near home' example.
There should be a way of improving the accuracy, otherwise what's the point of 'Corrections'?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I? .... Is it possible? Reply with quote

rjbsec wrote:

1) Map corrections - e.g. at the end of my road there is a large grassed area which forms a triangle before reaching the main road - going up the left fork or right fork of the triangle allows access to the main road. When my route requires me to turn right at the main road I naturally take the right fork but TT wants me to go up the left fork and turn right ... totally unnecessary.
The GO 540 has 'Map Corrections' but I can't work out how to help it see that going up the left fork is wrong - does 'Map Corrections' mean that I can get it to change its mind? If so, how do I do it?

Sounds like you need to select (Un)Block Street from within the Map Corrections. You'll probably find that it has one or both of those forks set as one way traffic. If it's not (Un)Block Street, then try looking at the Turn Restrictions.

When you have successfully made the change, it will be incorporated into your map. If you then connect the TT up to TomTom Home, this change will be uploaded, and may eventually be shared with other users.

rjbsec wrote:
2) Speed corrections - I often come accross incorrect road speed advisory e.g. TT nags me to reduce to 30 in a stretch of 40 when there are a number of road speed changes on a particular relatively short stretch of road. I've tried changing the speed limit via corrections but it seems to want to change the whole stretch of road without allowing me to 'mark' a start/finish to the speed changes. Is it possible to do this or is that too much for TT (or me!) to work out?

TomTom uses pre-defined street sections, normally between road junctions. You would need to change the speed of the whole of a section. However, be careful, because the facility to change a speed contains a feature which will automatically select the whole road rather than just the section you need. This can be a nightmare if you find a small section of the A1 which is incorrect!
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I? .... Is it possible? Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Sounds like you need to select (Un)Block Street from within the Map Corrections. You'll probably find that it has one or both of those forks set as one way traffic. If it's not (Un)Block Street, then try looking at the Turn Restrictions.

When you have successfully made the change, it will be incorporated into your map. If you then connect the TT up to TomTom Home, this change will be uploaded, and may eventually be shared with other users.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Daggers wrote:
TomTom uses pre-defined street sections, normally between road junctions. You would need to change the speed of the whole of a section. However, be careful, because the facility to change a speed contains a feature which will automatically select the whole road rather than just the section you need. This can be a nightmare if you find a small section of the A1 which is incorrect!

That's what I was afraid of, I travel a lot of roads where 30, 40, 50 & 60 are all on relatively short runs.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a old version (can't say for 740) you couldn't change some sharp right and left turns etc but have found that now you can since the last version

as for speeds I find the best way is to add poi's for every change in the speed then when you get home you can manually change each section 1 at a time ,when you actually change the limits always find a short piece of road then then add section by section as as you say sometimes they can add miles on a stretch of road ...... come to think of it I have no idea where my tomtom is right now so can't check to explain how to go about editing roads
rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
when you get home you can manually change each section 1 at a time ,when you actually change the limits always find a short piece of road then then add section by section as as you say sometimes they can add miles on a stretch of road ...... come to think of it I have no idea where my tomtom is right now so can't check to explain how to go about editing roads

When you find it, a tutorial would be good! Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjbsec wrote:
a tutorial would be good!

As a committed non-downloader of Mapshare Corrections, I can't believe I'm doing this!!

So, go into map corrections and change speed, place on map. Find the location/area where you want to make the speed change. In the following example I want to change the speed of the A4 at Saltford, near Bristol/Bath.

Now I zoom right in and select a small road which is NOT the A4 and click Done, and it asks if it's correct. (NOTE - I don't select the A4 because that would select the whole of the A4 from Bath to Bristol!!).

So I click Edit.

I then deselect The Folly by clicking it, then select a section of the A4. I can then select additional sections by dragging the map then clicking the sections.

When dragging to select, take care, because it is easy to be a bit heavy-handed and select a nearby road by mistake - deselect it by clicking it again.

You can actually do this in Operate my Go in Home. I found it easier to do so using my mouse than trying to do it directly on the device.

Was this any help?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

thanks for making my day "good" already Smile ....But eish you 've done a good job on that mine would have never been so good
well done for a non committed mapshare Corrections, person

edit
or was it a copy/paste jobbie
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
edit
or was it a copy/paste jobbie

No. How would I do that? As far as I'm aware, copy/paste of pictures doesn't work in this forum.

rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Was this any help?

Dennis, you're an absolute star, but then coming from, 'K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M' that goes without saying! - I think you and I might both be of an age to remember Horace?.
(Just got back from a round trip to Bath, via Saltfod & Keynsham this morning. Wink )
tenorplayer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but is he a bachelor ? Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjbsec wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Was this any help?

Dennis, you're an absolute star, but then coming from, 'K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M' that goes without saying! - I think you and I might both be of an age to remember Horace?.
(Just got back from a round trip to Bath, via Saltfod & Keynsham this morning. Wink )

Then you must have driven past his house (Guest House, then Care Home, now luxury appartments or summink). Those adverts were over 50 years ago! Round trip from where? (no location in your profile).

tenorplayer - He is not anything now. Sad

rjbsec
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Then you must have driven past his house (Guest House, then Care Home, now luxury appartments or summink). Those adverts were over 50 years ago! Round trip from where? (no location in your profile).

Well I didn't know that was his old site - I'm from 'Bristle'.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHEW !!!!, That's a relief. For a moment back there I thought you guys were talking about my Aunty Horace!
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: