Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Launches Advanced Military GPS at DSEi 2009
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Launches Advanced Military GPS at DSEi 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Satmap Launches Advanced Military GPS at DSEi 2009 Reply with quote

QUOTE:
British company, Satmap Systems Ltd, will be demonstrating the Satmap10MX, which the company and many industry insiders believe to be the world’s most advanced military GPS. A major industry first is the unit’s Night Vision Goggle compatibility ensuring military users can overcome the inherent difficulties of night time navigation on operations. The in-built red light screen setting and ultra low power backlight further ensure light discipline is never compromised.

The company has undertaken a number of long-term military trials to ensure the Satmap10MX incorporates major new technologies and functionality demanded by front line troops. In addition to the NVG compatibility, other key features incorporated include:

• GPS Spoof Detect – The Satmap10MX is the only COTS GPS unit capable of providing users with alerts to potential spoofing. If the GPS output is not reliable, users can see their last known position on the digital map, which then acts as a fall-back solution.

• Operational Mapping Display – The Satmap10MX boasts the ability to display all major map types, including operational map data. It will therefore show any scale of Raster mapping; any resolution of aerial imagery; Vector mapping; and hybrid mapping. The Satmap10MX can also display APP6A map symbols, and users can further annotate the map’s text data and photo-image data, all of which can be geo-referenced to give location specific information.

• Military Grade Map Security – The data installed on the Satmap10MX is protected by several levels of security. This security features a user configured PIN lock; the map data can be installed onto SD cards which can be set up for use solely on specific handsets; there is an emergency data ‘kill’ option; and an AES256 data security option for protecting particularly sensitive information.

• Position Management – The Satmap10MX is the only unit in the world capable of simultaneous position display formats in MGRS and latitude/longitude, thereby eliminating the current problems caused by different branches of the Armed Forces using different grid systems.

In addition to these major innovations, there are a large number of smaller features that combine to make the overall product exceptionally well suited to modern combat requirements. These features include one-handed use (keeping the other hand free for weapons), large buttons (for use with gloved hands), and remote ranging (i.e. range and bearing from point to point).

The Satmap10MX offers the longest battery life of any GPS (up to 150 hours usage with the maximum power saving settings); the largest screen (3.5 inches) and it is the lightest unit in its class at 175 grams. The unit has an optional armoured rubber case which gives the Satmap10MX an IP67 waterproof rating and a drop test rating of 3 metres.

Richard Calthrop-Owen, Managing Director of Satmap Systems Ltd., commented: “There is a clear capability gap identified by all modern armies: troops on the ground need better positioning information. Only the Satmap10MX can provide these users with all the features they need on a militarised unit which is easy to use and operates effectively in all weather, day or night – even with Night Vision Goggles. We genuinely believe that the Satmap10MX can give important real-time field intelligence which will save lives. It is a lightweight and inexpensive solution which will greatly contribute to our military operations.”

Satmap Systems Ltd will be demonstrating their industry leading technology, including Night Vision compatibility, on Stand 724a in the North Hall.

SOURCE: http://www.defpro.com/news/details/9741/
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's interesting. I was reading of some other kit recently approved including new Sight's for the SA80's.

Brings me full circle as my first experience of GPS was in the Army in the mid 90's. Early 3 channel military systems, huge with simple 4 line text displays. We've come a very long way since then.
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there may be other changes. Would the forces really accept a protective screen which lets water in or the ad hoc battery connections of the civilian version? If my hunch is correct that these flaws have been dealt with we may perhaps see them filtering down to an improved version of the A10.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physicist wrote:
I guess there may be other changes. Would the forces really accept a protective screen which lets water in or the ad hoc battery connections of the civilian version? If my hunch is correct that these flaws have been dealt with we may perhaps see them filtering down to an improved version of the A10.

Without seeing the device I'm guessing but this would almost certainly be a new case design.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it do multimedia POIs like the ordinary A10 was expected to have when I read it on my nearly 2 year old box?
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Without seeing the device I'm guessing but this would almost certainly be a new case design.

Oooh, when do we get to see photos of it? I'm hoping that a cash injection from a military contract will boost the civilian-side R&D...maybe a civi version without the P-code capability (if indeed the US lets UK companies or Armed Forces use the P-code these days)? An improved case, compass and processor would be most welcome - assuming one wouldn't have to buy one's mapcards all over again (a la Memory Map et al)
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so DSEi 2009 has been and gone now: are there any pictures of this new Satmap model? Surely it doesn't come under the OSA?! 'm dying to know what the new tech is like...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: