Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Macsync
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Macsync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Macsync Reply with quote

Okay...sorry if the subject line got all you Mac users excited - nothing to report, I just wanted to keep this subject on the radar since 1 in 10 of us are not yet supported with sync software. I don't want this to sound like an attack on Satmap because overall I think they are a great company with a real passion for what they do, but neither do I want this issue to remain on the back burner.
Has anyone spoken to them recently about this subject? What's the latest estimated timeframe for delivery of Macsync?

-Rob
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn you did raise my hopes briefly there! I need to get in touch with them on unrelated matters tomorrow so will raise the subject of Mac support also.
HJC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been pushing a good deal recently, and I have had an exchange of emails with Satmap.
They assure me that they have a chap working on the matter all the time! When the break through comes they will be shouting it from the roof tops as they are very keen indeed to resolve the situation.

My concern is that no time scale was given or suggested, we have been waiting now since at least Jan 2008 ( it was promised even before then).
I do not doubt they are very keen to sort the problem,But what is the problem? I get the feeling it is quite massive! for if there is a wee laddie beavering away full time, one would have hoped a time frame would be in the pipeline unless it just ain't working 'Sad'

Darren I would love to hear how they respond when you raise the subject
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful. The new version of Satsync (Wed 10th June 2009) now supports Windows 7 - an operating system that hasn't even been released - but still no MacSync. I'm getting fed up with this.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC wrote:

They assure me that they have a chap working on the matter all the time!

With the jobs market being what it is I can't see him rushing and doing himself out of a job. Laughing
Golgotha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the jobs market being what it is I can't see him rushing and doing himself out of a job.

Oh don't worry about that..... software development never really ends.....
goon525
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Wonderful. The new version of Satsync (Wed 10th June 2009) now supports Windows 7 - an operating system that hasn't even been released - but still no MacSync. I'm getting fed up with this.

I can understand your frustration - but Windows 7 seems to have been designed so everything that worked on Vista just works. So not really requiring much development time, thus hardly relevant!
HJC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is interesting'Wink'

http://www.routebuddy.com/atlas/index.html
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that app is of no use what so ever to a Satap Active 10 owner, whilst I appreciate you like the application and might be involved in developing/ testing it some of the posts are begining to appear as spam as they have no relevance to this forum section - Mike
sjdwheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we've got Snow Leopard and Opera 10 to keep us entertained.

It would be nice for Satmap to recognise that a few of us (at least) opted for the Active 10 on the basis that it operates independently of a PC (pre SatSync) and that we were given the promise of Mac compatibility. They're doing themselves no favours.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FAQ's currently say "We are planning on releasing a Mac version of SatSYNC later in the year." So, not long to wait now then! Really I'm baffled why this has become such a saga, and one that reflects badly on the company. There are several really nice Mac GPS programs out there, in particular TrailRunner and rubiTrack, which import and export gpx files to a connected device - except SatMap of course - it can't be that much of a leap to pull something, anything, together to at least be able to upload gpx routes into the SatMap.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is this: the active 10 is a windows mobile device and so the interfacing is all based around microsoft's activesync module, which was designed from the outset to play nice with microsoft's operating systems (well, not that nice, but in theory at least) and to shun microsoft's competitors (especially Apple). Whilst it should be possible to write an interface for OS X, this would probably have to be done from scratch, and very carefully in order to avoid copyright infringement of microsoft's proprietary code. It would also probably be pretty complicated (effectively, it'd be a windows-emulator in order to con the A10 into talking to it).
None of this is to excuse Satmap - they really shouldn't promise things they can't deliver, but I suspect that this is the reason for the inordinate delay.
I just wish they (Satmap) would realise that telling their loyal customers why the product is delayed would be so much more acceptable to us than the stony silence.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just design the software so that tracks can be imported/exported from/to an SD card. No need for sync software at all then and OS independent?
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Or just design the software so that tracks can be imported/exported from/to an SD card. No need for sync software at all then and OS independent?

Precisely - particularly if we're only talking about moving .gpx files back and forth, indeed exporting onto a SD is already there. Better still, use a browser based interface to limit OS conflicts, or mount the Satmap as USB device and just drag & drop .gpx files in and out of a folder.

Its not impossible, or even difficult - Garmin seem to have plenty of Mac connectivity (although not actually used any of it).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axys wrote:
or mount the Satmap as USB device and just drag & drop .gpx files in and out of a folder.

Its not impossible, or even difficult - Garmin seem to have plenty of Mac connectivity (although not actually used any of it).

As this is a Windows based device I don't think mounting as a disk is an option, Garmin don't use WinCE AFAIK.

But clearly there are simple solutions that do not require complex sync software and would be maintenance free and OS independent. It would be a simple process to design into a software update. There is nothing that SatSync offers that could not be done via the SD card far more easily.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: