Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Mobile Maps coming to Android
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Mobile Maps coming to Android

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Sygic Mobile Maps coming to Android Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comSygic have announced that their popular Sygic Mobile Maps navigation system will be coming to Google Android powered phones.

Already winning fans on Windows Mobile, Symbian and iPhone platforms, news that Sygic are planning a roll-out on Android will be welcomed by Android devotees.

We have recently invested in HTC Hero Android powered handsets in anticipation of development for this platform and our initial impressions have been very favourable. Android is a powerful platform with a user interface that is well thought out and easy to use.

Unlike iPhone, applications are not restricted to distribution through the built-in Android 'Market' and so Sygic are currently selecting distributors for sales through the more traditional sales channels to supplement the Market.

We'll bring you more news as we get it and a direct comparison of those apps that are available on iPhone and Android as they come to market.

More information in Sygic's official Press release here.
gangerolv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic for Android is now ready for buying/download directly from Sygic. Link on the front homepage. Euro 79.99 Full Europe.
I installed it yesterday on my HTC Magic.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gangerolv wrote:
Sygic for Android is now ready for buying/download directly from Sygic. Link on the front homepage. Euro 79.99 Full Europe.

What version does it say it is in the software? I noticed the webpage says Mobile Maps 9 but my understanding was the current released version is 7.71 (at least on WM, Symbian and iPhone). I would expect MM8 or 9 later this year though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told to expect full details tomorrow. As far as I can see, whilst advertised on Sygic's site you can't actually buy the Android version.

As soon as I get the announcement I'll post it.
gangerolv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
gangerolv wrote:

What version does it say it is in the software? I noticed the webpage says Mobile Maps 9 but my understanding was the current released version is 7.71 (at least on WM, Symbian and iPhone). I would expect MM8 or 9 later this year though.

Version 7.71 Build: 6758 D
Mapversion: 7.8

@Darren

Yes, you can buy the Android version, I bought it yesterday.
You have a link "Buy online" on the front page.
The download is an "universal version" with installers for Android, Symbian and Windows Mobile.

Copied from the front page:

Sygic Mobile Maps is always with you on your phone, wherever you are. Clever route calculation guides you straight to your destination. No hidden costs or data plans. Now available for Google Android mobile phones by electronic download only.

Learn more · Buy online
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that - it confirmed what I believed to currently be the case. I suspect Mobile Maps 9 is the new name for Mobile Maps 2009.

BTW are you from the UK and if so did you have to pay any extra fees to RBS Worldpay for handling the currency conversion as I notice Sygic only support Euros as a payment currency on the website.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah OK, wasn't seeing that using Safari, either I missed it or their site isn't Safari friendly but no biggie.
gangerolv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
Cheers for that - it confirmed what I believed to currently be the case. I suspect Mobile Maps 9 is the new name for Mobile Maps 2009.

BTW are you from the UK and if so did you have to pay any extra fees to RBS Worldpay for handling the currency conversion as I notice Sygic only support Euros as a payment currency on the website.

I am not from the UK, from Norway.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now posted the official launch of Mobile Maps 9 for Android here so I've now locked this thread.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: