Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bye Bye TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bye Bye TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Bye Bye TomTom Reply with quote

ALK just released their latest version of CoPilot for Windows Mobile today (in addition to the iPhone and Android versions announced earlier this summer), for only $35 USD ... I would have preferred to stick with TomTom Navigator (I will especially miss having John Cleese as my navigator), but it appears that those of us in the US are not going to see Navigator 7 anytime soon and I am tired of using 2+ year old maps.

ALK has even offered to convert my TomTom POIs for me.
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently acquired the HTC Hero - and as TT is not available for it I will be installing Copilot Live v8 instead. Bye bye TomTom indeed. Razz

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
Captain_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. TomTom has disappeared from the scene. And did it in the most lame way possible. Bye bye TT.

What are you switching to? CoPilot Live 8 tempts me.....
levman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Eric wrote:
What are you switching to? CoPilot Live 8 tempts me.....

I have been running ALK CoPilot Live 8 for about a month now and am quite happy with it. There are a couple of things that TomTom did better (especially custom voices) but CoPilot is MUCH more flexible and customizable, has up-to-date maps and POIs, and it is MUCH less of a drain on my phone's CPU (if I had certain other apps running along with TomTom, such as downloading email, these other apps would slow to a crawl). Also, contact navigation is MUCH better - there was some weird bug in TomTom where it would take forever to search through my contacts.

The only things I don't like about CoPilot are the voices - mainly because they speak too slowly - and the way custom POIs are organized (it is difficult to set up multiple custom POI categories).

I believe CoPilot to be a safe choice, as they are supporting not only Windows Mobile but also Android and iPhone - they are fully invested in the PDA/phone market, while TomTom prefers that you buy their proprietary hardware. Plus CoPilot has been supporting WinMo for a LONG time (and they even gave me $5 off for upgrading from my 5+ year old version of CoPilot which I hadn't used in 3+ years, to the new version).

I've also just switched phones - from a Palm Treo 800w to an HTC Touch Pro 2 - making me a VERY happy camper (and CoPilot works great on both).
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking to switch to CoPilot 8 from TTN, due to TomTom not supporting my phone (Treo 750) for newer versions. I've bought and downloaded it and have been playing with it for a day or so. First impressions are good.

The missing feature for me at the moment is traffic info, this is supposed to arrive sometime this month. Until it has traffic info, TTN will still be my main satnav.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: