Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator for MS Smartphone - Screenshots
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator for MS Smartphone - Screenshots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: TomTom Navigator for MS Smartphone - Screenshots Reply with quote

MSMobiles.Com, an MS Smartphone dedicated website is leading with a sfrom TechED 2004 in Amsterdam where TomTom are demonstrating their forthcoming Navigator for MS Smartphone product which apparently will use the new cross platform engine currently available on the Plam and GO products.

It's a non-working demo with no GPS functionality as yet but the screenshots look great and I can't wait to get my hands on it for a trial with my SPV E200 Smile

Read the article here.
Borg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can they release this press statment, its not working it's just a demo map running, it's like saying 'I got a car here for sale, no engine, or wheeels, or even car, but I got a video of one driving down the road'

If it works then yes it looks like a good idea but until then I'll not hold my breath
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a press statement, it's a non-working demo being displayed at an industry event. It's common practice. The last thing you want is a buggy Beta version being played with by Journo's who will crash it in seconds and then print a 'it's a pile of bo**ocks' news item.

Instead they display engineering prototypes of in this case the software equivalent to give a taster of what's on the way.

It's definitely coming!
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw a press release issued by Cisco where they quoted a product pre-release user saying how it "Will be great when it works" ! And this was released as a positive press release ;-)

W
Borg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
This isn't a press statement, it's a non-working demo being displayed at an industry event.

How can it be a demonstration if it doesn't work ?

Its a phone with a picture on it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point but you can still demonstrate the interface which is all important in a device with no keyboard and no touch screen, all you have is 1-9, * & # so a slick interface is vital.

Also it's pretty standard at events where GPS Software is being launched or demonstarted for special non-working versions to be set-up with demo routes displayed and running, this is necessary because at a large indoor event there is no simple way of making a GPS signal available and journalists who don't understand all this would be most unimpressed if the manufacturer's said 'here's the unit but we can't show it running because we can't receive GPS' etc etc.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one of them SPV E200 Smartphones (I don't use it anymore with the battery only lasting a day at best). I really can't see this one taking off.

The screens are too small on current phones to be of any use while driving in a car, its illegal to touch your phone while driving, plus when the phone does ring, a bluetooth headset would be useless with the phone being locked to the bluetooth GPS device, plus the map would vanish off screen while the phone is ringing.

Just my opinion, but I see this as more of a statement to show it can be done, I don't see it as a practical sat nav solution.
cheungster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wrote:
I once saw a press release issued by Cisco where they quoted a product pre-release user saying how it "Will be great when it works" ! And this was released as a positive press release ;-)

W

Remember the release of Windows 98 at Comdex? In front of 85,000 people, big surprise, Windows 98 CRASHED!

Do a google search for that, I recall an mpeg of the news video.

Laughing Out Loud

Anyway, that's one of the reasons why they're using a demo.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> The screens are too small on current phones to be of any
> use while driving in a car

Some smartphones have screens as big as most PDAs - eg the XDA II.

> its illegal to touch your phone while driving

After I've inputted the route - I don't need to touch my PDA. A phone wouldn't be any different.

> plus when the phone does ring, a bluetooth headset would be useless
> with the phone being locked to the bluetooth GPS device

Only if you've managed to find a retarded phone which only has ONE bluetooth channel. Most devices have many. I'm not sure if there even ARE any phones with only one bluetooth channel...

You're also assuming that people would buy this software to use it in a car. If it's on a phone, it's much more likely that tomtom would tailor the software to also suit people on foot (eg walking around a foreign city/national park/forest). Personally I've been moaning at TomTom to have a "pedestrian" mode for a while - the fact that it always snaps to roads and doesn't support simple waypoints is really restricting. I ended up having to use memory map instead and and I now need room to store two entire sets of maps, when a minor tweak to TomTom would would make Memory Map redundant (for me).

Nick...
dazednotconfused
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: Tomtom for SE P900 Reply with quote

Just read the press release dated 22nd June, this can be found at http://www.tomtom.com/news/press_release.php?Press_Release=87&Language=1&WR_Language=[/url] In my case if this is succesfully launched then it makes having a wired in car phone kit (P900) being linked to a Bluetooth GPS receiver a very desirable option!! I'm looking forward to the day when I can ditch my very crashy iPaq 2210 and use one device for nav / organiser / phone!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: