Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce new x50 Range (550, 750, 950)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thezerocool
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Anyone reckon the IoM will be on it? Laughing

Yes, IOM has been on the TomTom mapping for some time.

8.25 at least, probably a few maps before that too.

Latest is 8.35 me thinks.
thezerocool
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
No mention of the feature that I would really like: a decent battery life.

I have no desire to use the machine with a wire trailing down to the cigar lighter or to tear the car apart to fit a concealed socket. I have had a faulty tomtom car power adaptor that got VERY hot in use and I am thankfull that it was not burried behind the dash when it did this.

I travelled across America in a hire car with a faulty power socket. My GO 510 managed more than 5 hours without being charged. I would upgrade to a new model if it offered me a similar battery life to the GO510.

I believe its a 4 hour battery on this one and the currect x40s
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to this website
http://www.handtec.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=go+50+live
the 550 and 750 have "up to" 3 hours battery life whereas the 950 has "up to" 5
aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sods law this happens a few months after I get a 940!

I would be very interested to see how the Eco route planning works. If you are in no rush and happy to max the MPG then shortest or fastest is not always ideal. You want a more direct route than a motorway but also with not as many stop starts as shortest route which might make you have to go through lots of junctions. A balance of the two is what they are maybe calling Eco Route.

I would hope the software features would come to the x40 users eventually or is that me being ever hopeful that TT look after previous customers! However, the faster processor would be a great feature. I find I am sitting for 2 or 3 minutes waiting for my 940 to plan a route then plan a new route due to traffic. But the TT comment of calculating it in "seconds" needs to be tested. It could be calculating it in 180 seconds so just how many "seconds" does a 300 mile route calculation take??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerotec wrote:
However, the faster processor would be a great feature.

Where have you read anything about a faster processor? - I would expect this device to be identical to the x40 in terms of hardware, the only alterations appear to be software derived - This looks to be similar to the x20 to x30 "upgrade" that was performed a while back - Mike
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thezerocool wrote:

I believe its a 4 hour battery on this one and the currect x40s

I believe you can add "up to" before the "4 hour battery life". I want a machine, like my current GO510, where the battery actually lasts more than 4 hours in normal use.
aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
aerotec wrote:
However, the faster processor would be a great feature.

Where have you read anything about a faster processor? - I would expect this device to be identical to the x40 in terms of hardware, the only alterations appear to be software derived - This looks to be similar to the x20 to x30 "upgrade" that was performed a while back - Mike

Interesting, I have made the mistake of an assumption of a faster processor due to it mentioning faster calculations. So this is just a revised software edition with an RDS-TMC mount?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerotec wrote:

Interesting, I have made the mistake of an assumption of a faster processor due to it mentioning faster calculations. So this is just a revised software edition with an RDS-TMC mount?

If it is only this, I doubt I would upgrade 940 to 950.

I am now wishing that TomTom would go back to writing software that worked so that you could have the full working functionality of the 940/950 but on a mobile device of your own choosing. I think the only missing fuctionality would be the EPT which I have not seen in a PDA/Mobile.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmm I too thought it would have had a faster processor and that was really my only basis for upgrading from 720 which is a bit slow ,also doubt the phone function will work properly sooooo I might have to wait for the 760 to arrive and see what that brings ...... Unless my 720 breaks then I will have to
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as battery life is concerned...

I had Halfords install a power cable for the TomTom940 at the same time as the IO play was installed and it certainly takes a lot of the stress away of charging and wires draped over the car.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've corrected our original post and news item which used information supplied by TomTom that was incorrect.

The Press Release mentioned that RDS-TMC was included in the active dock whereas it is not in production models. It is a £50 extra.

So I have removed the reference to avoid further confusion. Seems TomTom had a change of heart at the last minute!
benmaxwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internal memory of the Tomtom Go 750 Live is a MAJOR problem. If you are thinking of buying one please look at this link in the forum and teh link from there before you make up your mind.
I am having a wretched time with my new one in consequence and would strongly recommend you choose something else

. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=83698
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst the limited internal memory is disappointing, providing you purchase a memory card then this is no longer an issue. MicroSD cards are both plentiful and cheap these days, far cheaper than the flash memory in the device and easily upgraded as needed.

Buy a memory card.
benmaxwell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the device can be made to work with a card. But it does sound as though the required process (see the link I posted above) is not straightforward, and requires a fair amount of fairly advanced shifting files and settings around. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can manage it when I get home tonight.
I just wanted to warn people that for a consumer after something that just works, rather than a hobbyist, another brand may be a better choice. I hope this is reasonable.
I'm grateful to the PGPSW forum for help sorting this out. Far better than TT support....Please wish me luck!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benmaxwell wrote:
I agree the device can be made to work with a card. But it does sound as though the required process (see the link I posted above) is not straightforward, and requires a fair amount of fairly advanced shifting files and settings around.

Not sure why you would be told that, insert memory card and then choose whether you want to install to card or internal memory in TT Home, simple as that?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: