Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom LIVE outage this evening, or was it just me?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom LIVE outage this evening, or was it just me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red-max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: TomTom LIVE outage this evening, or was it just me? Reply with quote

On my way home this afternoon I got re-routed due to build-up of traffic on the M25, but at around 16:30 I got an error to say that traffic updates had been unavailable for 15 minutes. All LIVE services were inoperative - eventually I got Error code: 1008, and other error messages indicating "Unable to connect to server". I powered cycled the TomTom, still the same. I drove home, thankfully the rest of the routehad little congestion.

When I got home I played around a bit, still no connection to LIVE services, until 18:45 tonight when it all burst into life once again.

So I'm wondering if the LIVE service went offline for everyone, or was it just a transient fault in my unit?

Is there a list of error codes? I did a search for 1008 on the TomTom support site, but couldn't find anything...
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this too! Left Aldershot at 4ish and it was out until 6:30ish. I had to put my username and password back in, Live was completely down.
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this too, in the M40 area around the M25. From about 4.45pm until at keast 6pm I could not connect.

I reset my unit at 8pm, and it can now connect but it can't find the satellites, ven after I downloaded the latest QuickGPSfix. I hope it works OK tomorrow morning!
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to type "even after" instead of "ven after".

I seem to experience the issue of loss of GPS fix after re-setting very often.
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in East Yorkshire and the Live services are off here as well. I thought as they use the Vodafone network it might be a local problem, it would seem not.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some posters in a US forum reported they, too, were experiencing loss of plus service today.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you pay money for this rubbish service.....

I am happy with the GPRS service that only costs me about £30 per year.

My GPRS is free from my mobile, so not an issue.
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at 8am Friday still no Live Services. Anyone heard why this might be? There is nothing on the TomTom website to indicate a problem.
I can't even re-enter user ID etc because it cannot connect to the Live servers. Or is everyone else now ok and I've now got a duff device?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIVE services logged in straight away and showing incidents here.

ETA: Hmm.. Second attempt has had one failure and is taking it's time to connect now..... But it did in the end....
red-max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all those who responded, it's good to know that this wasn't a fault in my unit, but obviously not so good to hear that LIVE was down for some time yesterday. Seems ok this morning... let's hope they've fixed it.
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem as well, however you can't expect any online service to be running 24/7. Maintenance, upgrades and unexpected errors in the system will at some point or another result in loss of service. This is the same for any online service, which is free or paid for.

We just have to hope that it doesn't happen at the crucial moment Smile

I would like to see more facilities with the LIVE subscription as it is a little pricey in my opinion for what you get, however the vast majority of the time connection isn't a problem.
Quiltman47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: TomTom HD Traffic Outage - No HD Traffic for a week Reply with quote

I updated my 540Go to the latest UK map (I subscribe to the quarterly mapping update) and software (8.3.7.0?) update on Friday 21st August because I was off on holiday the following day. The following day when I switched on there was no HD traffic (and it then took me 8 hours to go 250 miles to Conrwall from the midlands - could have done with the HD traffic really). I reported it to TomTom who informed me that a "handful" of satnav units were affected in a similar manner. The strange thing was that all other Live! services worked fine. This outage lasted until Staurday 29th at which point I returned from holiday. I logged on via TomTom Home but there were only speedcam updates and GPS fixes etc. I tried again later that evening and a further UK / Ireland map update had appeared. I installed an I got HD traffic back. Anyone out there had a similar experience?
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom HD Traffic Outage - No HD Traffic for a week Reply with quote

Quiltman47 wrote:
The following day when I switched on there was no HD traffic .... The strange thing was that all other Live! services worked fine.... Anyone out there had a similar experience?

Yes. I updated to map 835.2419 on Tuesday (1st) at around 1am. Ever since, HD traffic has not worked, claiming that I need a subscription for this service.

It is still not working at this time. Google search is. I've tried the reset/factory settings/update that TT suggested, to no avail. I've just replied with the additional info they requested.

Not happy Evil or Very Mad
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you affected by the same problem where traffic.dat and tmccode.dat files in your map on the unit show 0 bytes? (not sure you would be ...)

But, if you are, extract the 2 files from the downloaded map's cab file and use Explorer to copy them to the root of the unit.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Are you affected by the same problem where traffic.dat and tmccode.dat files in your map on the unit show 0 bytes? (not sure you would be ...)

But, if you are, extract the 2 files from the downloaded map's cab file and use Explorer to copy them to the root of the unit.

Yes, saw that in another thread, and appears to be sorted now, thanks Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: