Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - batch adding warning sounds ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

batch adding warning sounds ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike5100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: batch adding warning sounds ? Reply with quote

I've downloaded the most categorised camera file which has given me 20 odd categories. To associate a category with a warning sound takes 16 clicks on the HTC diamond. I got half way through them when the program froze and I had to do a soft reset. All the work was lost. There must surely be a way of selecting all the categories and doing it just once, but I can't see how?
Mike
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the easiest way to do this is to have a sound for each category with the same filename as the POI file, and that will override the sounds as set within TomTom. I have separate warning files that speak the speed limit etc.

I'm happy to share them, just PM your eMail address to me.

Cheers,

Steve.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure our OGG files method doesn't take that many clicks.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

That's the method I was referring to, but I didn't know there were OGG files on this site. Marvelous.

Cheers,

Steve.
mike5100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

Dennis - it isn't your files that are the problem, it's the fact that you have to set up each category within TomTom. Please try it, it took 16 or 17 clicks to associate a warning sound with one category on my HTC Diamond. As mentioned above I had a freeze up part way through and had to start again. I successfully got them all installed only to find the association seemed to have gone after I did a soft reset. I've installed them all again using sound 5 which is a double klaxon blaring noise. However, they have all now reverted to a single beep (useable but not so noticeable). It takes me about 30 minutes of mind-numbing clicking to set up the complete set, so I have now installed the simpler file with just 5 categories, and this is manageable .... but even so, there must be a way of doing this in one fell swoop.
Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to set up the full Speed Zoned warnings including the use of ogg files in under 5 minutes, takes a bit of practice but its not difficult. As a tip rather than scrolling through all the POI files in the list type "po" without the ""and the device will move the pocketgps speed cameras to the top of the list making the set up much quicker - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike5100 wrote:
but even so, there must be a way of doing this in one fell swoop.
Mike

There isn't. But I still don't see how it takes so many 'clicks'? You select manage POI, warn when near, choose poi, choose alert, choose distance. OK

If you take a copy of the 'mapsettings.cfg' file once set-up it is that which stores the config. I can set mine up from scratch in a few minutes at most and I use Speed Zoned.

It's not ideal but that is what TT have designed and there is no work-around to simplify it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike5100 wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Dennis - it isn't your files that are the problem, it's the fact that you have to set up each category within TomTom. Please try it, it took 16 or 17 clicks to associate a warning sound with one category on my HTC Diamond.

Sorry to be so long responding - I've been away, getting inside a suntan and outside a few Amstels!

I have now just tried again as you requested. My earlier comment was simply gut feeling that it doesn't FEEL like 16 or 17 clicks, so I've done the thing as carefully as I can and I found that it took me 12 clicks (taps) to get the first one done - I'm counting typing a couple of letters ("PO") and the distance (300) as just one tap each. After the first one, subsequent settings start part way through the sequence and amount to about 8 taps. My taps included right arrow taps and "Done" taps, which I confess I don't normally notice.

For me, like all the others who have said it, I get a full set done in very quick time. I've never timed myself, but it has never felt like a time consuming thing - maybe I've been doing it for so long I just don't notice - I'm on sort of autopilot whenever I suffer the crash which means a new setup of OGG warnings.

I agree it's a poor show that there is no facility provided by TT to cover bulk setting. However, bear in mind we recommend a different distance setting for each camera speed, so I don't know how a batch setup could work (I am a numpty, of course!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be viable to do a batch set up through an edit of the MapSettings.cfg file on the PC but its going to take hours to work out how to do it for very little gain at all, lets face it saving 5 minutes won't be much of a saving compared to connecting the device to the PC and copying files from/ to the device - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: