Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Number Plate Necessary For Speed Camera Prosecution
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Number Plate Necessary For Speed Camera Prosecution
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: No Number Plate Necessary For Speed Camera Prosecution Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comA story by Motorcyclenews.com has confirmed that the police do not always need a snapshot of your number plate to be able to prosecute you if you speed past a front-facing camera.

Motorbikes only have rear plates and front-facing cameras simply cannot see them. The requirement for front number plates was dropped in 1975 due to the danger they posed to both bikers and pedestrians in the event of an accident.

However, that didn't prove to be a barrier on this occasion.

Biker Gary Lacey, 48, has been banned for 2 years after speeding at 81mph through a 30mph area. Speed cameras also witnessed him exceeding the limit on 6 other occasions.

It hadn't occurred to Lacey that each camera shot identified his distinctive bright green Kawasaki, with a missing mirror, and his snazzy matching helmet. His local Southampton police force simply stopped a bike fitting that description... and bingo!

With a two year ban and a £1300 fine, Lacey has now discovered a new-found respect for the law. He said his “biking days were over”.
sollythegolly
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit extreme, though. I mean - distinctive bike - six times previous. Bikers definitely have the advantage over car drivers in the number plate stakes when approaching front facing cameras.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

81mph in a 30 limit. I'm glad he's off the road for a while. They're a menace to themselves and every one else.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

81mph in a 30 limit. I'm glad he's off the road for a while. They're a menace to themselves and every one else.
g6lpb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Bikes and speed cameras Reply with quote

As a biker myself I am aware that it is easier to pass forward facing speed cameras with a reduced chance of detection. But over 80 in a 30 area is just not on and a lifetime ban would not be out of order. Speed does not kill it's the stopping that matters and hurts if you cannot stop in time. And could anyone stop at that speed if a child or woman with a pram steps out? There can only be one answer NO. So good on the person involved for having the sense that you cannot go on forever breaking the law on a day by day basis and get away with it. It's not only your life that you take away when it all goes wrong.
shornoff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Speed doesn't kill? Reply with quote

"Speed doesn't kill"? You may be wrong here. Ever been shot with a bullet traveling at 20 mph from an old BB gun. I have - didn't hurt. Try one traveling at 1000 mph!

Speed kills.

And if you still don't believe look at the basic Physics. Your kinetic energy is proportional to your speed squared which is why "hit me a 30 mph and I may live.... hit me at 40 and I'm dead" is so true.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Speed doesn't kill? Reply with quote

shornoff wrote:
"Speed doesn't kill"? Ever been shot with a bullet traveling at 20 mph from an old BB gun. I have - didn't hurt. Try one traveling at 1000 mph!
.....look at the basic Physics. Your kinetic energy is proportional to your speed squared which is why "hit me a 30 mph and I may live.... hit me at 40 and I'm dead" is so true.

The non scientific deniers of 'speed kills' who don't know what kinetic enery is (and some of those that do) would argue vehemently that it's nothing to do with the speed of the bullet, it's the fact that you are hit by it Very Happy Of course speed kills Sad
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please get your facts correct. Speed doesn't kill...

If it did you wouldn't be able to travel in a car, train, plane much.

It's the force of the IMPACT that kills, not the speed or inertia, unless of course you want to talk about G-force.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that in layman's terms (wot I get) speed contributes to (causes) death or injury because:

(a) if someone is hit, or crashes, at high speed they are more likely to get killed than at low speed;

(b) statistically, the higher average speeds are in an area the more likely deaths and injuries are because of less effective reaction times, less control over vehicles, less time to see (pedestrians and drivers), etc

Can't see it's that complicated Wink
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The requirement for front number plates was dropped in 1975 due to the danger they posed to both bikers and pedestrians in the event of an accident.
I've never understood this. The danger was because they were fitted fore and aft on the front mudguard. Here in Guernsey, they had to be forward facing so were fitted to the front forks where they posed no danger at all. But we also dropped the requirement for front numbers at the same time.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bikes and speed cameras Reply with quote

g6lpb wrote:
And could anyone stop at that speed if a child or woman with a pram steps out?

are men invincible then Laughing

agreed though, it's just a stupid speed to be doing and a shame really that it took 6 offences to actually be able to track them down... surely cameras can be good enough quality these days to be able to pick up VIN numbers etc? saying that though i have no idea about bikes so don;t know where about the VIN is printed, if at all!

MaFt
johalareewi
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a couple of accidents locally where motorcyclists died. The local motorbikers complained to the council to do something so the council improved the road by introducing a 40mph speed limit and lots of road markings to slow everybody down.

So now the cars, lorries, buses, etc. do 40mph, but many motorcyclists fly past (way over the speed limit)using the 'special motorbike lane' created by the hatchings in the middle of the road. Sad Sad
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Please get your facts correct. Speed doesn't kill...

If it did you wouldn't be able to travel in a car, train, plane much.

Yes, but as excess speed correlates directly to an increased chance of having an accident, it amounts to exactly the same thing. Try doing a lowish aircraft speed (200mph) in a 30 limit and then come back here and tell us that you're not dead after trying to make it round the first corner.
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Nutter Reply with quote

I have to say he sure does deserve to be banned. This case proves our point that you need proper enforcement. Not some modern camera snapping drivers at 82mph on the dual carrageway.

To be whizzing at 60mph+ in town and city local roads deserves banning.
gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Please get your facts correct. Speed doesn't kill........unless of course you want to talk about G-force.

Stop being argumentative. Evil or Very Mad

Else we could type here all day that the bullet didn't kill the person. It was the hole in their body.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: