Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone TomTom: Audible Alerts with PGPSW Camera Database?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone TomTom: Audible Alerts with PGPSW Camera Database?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CD3660
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: iPhone TomTom: Audible Alerts with PGPSW Camera Database? Reply with quote

I have managed to install the PGPSW Safety Camera Database onto my iPhone's TomTom Navigation application and all POI's show on the maps appropriately.

The only problem I have is that I do not get audible alerts at all (nor indeed the visual alerts) so it's pretty pointless in its present form. Perhaps I have done something wrong? I used a program called Fugu on my MacBook Pro to transfer the unzipped files into the Western Europe folder of the application.

How can I get the audible and visual alerts that I get when using the TomTom Safety Camera Database?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Smile
CD3660
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this helpful advice from Mike Alder:

mikealder wrote:
Yes it is possible if your phone is jailbroken, BUT there is little point bothering as the TT iPhone app doesn't have any capability to warn about proximity relative to POI locations, all it will do is display the camera icon on the map and let you navigate to a camera.

I'm disappointed to say the least.

For anyone wondering why I wasn't happy with the TomTom database - I don't trust it entirely having discovered that it does not show the nearest camera to my home (that has been there for years).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider getting rid of the TT application as its crap when it comes to custom POI, why not try Sygic which does offer full custom POI support and spoken alert voice warnings using the ogg files - to be honest its a better application all round in my opinion - Mike
CD3660
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I took a very quick look at Sygic very late last night and wasn't sure whether the POIConverter would work on Mac OSX 10.6.

If it is Windows only, I'm stuffed!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD3660 wrote:
If it is Windows only, I'm stuffed!

I'm sure we could help you with that, although I'm a Mac user I have Parallels so can convert your files for you if necessary.
CD3660
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, that's really good of you!

If you could do that (when you have the time) I'd be very grateful as I have decided to give Sygic a shot. If it's good enough for you guys then I'm sure that it will be good enough for me.

Thanks again! Very Happy
________

Chris
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better if we could supply Speed Camera files in the Sygic format straight from the download system thus negating the need for POI conversion if possible.
If you need to read how to install / setup the camera database on the iPhone for Sygic there are already instructions on the site detailing what to do although it is PC based rather than mac, it should give you a clue.
I also want to try creating a custom voice for the Nav instructions for Sygic, it is possible but might take quite some time - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's involved in creating the Sygic format? Given sufficient demand I'm sure we can do this? If it's simply a matter of using a conversion util then we can do it and serve up a specific format but we can only consider this is demand is there as it adds to an already complex process.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD3660 wrote:
If you could do that (when you have the time) I'd be very grateful as I have decided to give Sygic a shot. If it's good enough for you guys then I'm sure that it will be good enough for me.

Chris,

Happy to do it but you will need to email me your files. For piracy protection purposes files are watermarked with your userID so I need to use your files for the conversion. I can then email the converted files back to you.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is OK with Darren and the team I would also be willing to convert files for people. Again I would need the users files sending to me first though.

Darren, to provide preconverted files you just need to run them through the poiconvertor program. As per the tutorials for the new version, this can be scripted as the program works with command line parameters too. The only reason I never suggested it to MaFt when I wrote the tutorial a few months back was because this is Windows only and I believe the site runs on Linux.
CD3660
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Happy to do it but you will need to email me your files. For piracy protection purposes files are watermarked with your userID so I need to use your files for the conversion. I can then email the converted files back to you.

Darren, thank you very much.

I've emailed the files to you in a folder.
________

Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: