Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Essex Traffic Police Take To The Air
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Essex Traffic Police Take To The Air
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Surely any speed checks from a moving aircraft must be questionable and not approved and can only be verified from ground level by either a fixed camera or a following vehicles own speed verification which is already done thus negating any cost justification for this part.

STRANGE seeing this topic heading this evening, as earlier today, as I left the M11 and entered the A414, there was a sign which at first I couldn't believe what I had seen, but confirmed what it was with my passenger.

It was that very same signage, warning of "Police Helicoptor Traffic Enforcement". I've not seen them (the signs) on the A13 YET though.

This country, and the "enforcement" measures which are used to strip motorists of cash, is plain bloody rediculous.

Have the government/agencies have nothing else to do?? Can they not think of other ways of making cash?

Why don't they got more police on the roads, spotting the people who are using handheld mobiles whilst driving. THAT will net them a tidy sum, but no because that would mean human intervention, as opposed to using technology to fleece the motorists of more cash.
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
Duddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Speed checks via aircraft Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
aj2052 wrote:
Surely any speed checks from a moving aircraft must be questionable and not approved and can only be verified from ground level by either a fixed camera or a following vehicles own speed verification which is already done thus negating any cost justification for this part.

One would imagine that they would use markers on the road (the white dots or rectangles we see painted on many roads) as they are a set distance apart. All they need is a fancy stop watch and optional video equipment to record it just in case it goes to court.

Obviously, any laser or radar equipment must a/ be held stationary and b/must not be used through glass so a helicopter wouldnt be much good on either of those points.

Steve

The police do not need "fancy stopwatches or videos" just the old VASCAR (Vehicle Average Speed Computer And Recorder) I used these in the 70's and watch out for accidental spills of white or yellow paint on the road.....You have been warned & as I understand the current guides the speed check does not need to be in an approved area (i.e. anywhere, like a following speed check)
Reading glasses getting thicker as is my waist
Retired but want to go back to work for a rest.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And BTW martinwinlow, I hope you can stay with us now Love it Love it
shricthism
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Road deaths are falling Reply with quote

navver wrote:
Actually, I think many people would welcome an increase in the number killed on the roads each year. Just ask anyone who's had a heart or kidney transplant. Road casualties must be a major source of donors.

The accident rate of 3000 deaths a year, has stubbornly refused to budge despite the many improvements in road safety such as seastbelts, ABS, speed limits, road imrovements etc, simply because human beings are prepared to accept a certain level of risk in their lives. Many enjoy risk taking so much they take part in dangerous sports.

The first part of this response is contemptible - I am sure very few transplant recipients would actually wish death upon someone else - even though they benefit hugely from one unfortunate death.

The second part about the number of deaths not falling is just plain wrong - if you look at this graph from the office of national statistics you will see that the number of road deaths has reduced dramatically from around 8000 in the 1970's - thanks to the things you quote and others such as drink driving legislation, etc. I have no problem with people taking risks with their own lives - what annoys me is those who take risks with others, whilst taking none of the risk themselves. As a cyclist I face this daily when people drive past within inches of me at 80 or 90mph - the risk to them is a scratch, to me is death.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1208
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The police do not need "fancy stopwatches or videos" just the old VASCAR (Vehicle Average Speed Computer And Recorder)

Not from a Moving Vehicle or Aircraft.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Not from a Moving Vehicle or Aircraft.

VASCAR can be used from a moving vehicle, indeed it is designed to be used for that purpose.

It times the target vehicle between two reference points and measures the distance as you cross the same two points or is the references are pre-measured then that part is not required. Time over Distance equals speed.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
[Time over Distance equals speed.

Are you sure? Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well correctly put as an equation it is speed = distance/ time
GeoffCee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coconut wrote:
The policing of speeding motorists from the air will NOT have commenced with the intention of raising revenue...

On what do you base your emphatic statement? Revenue raising from the motorist is and always has been an endemic activity of the current gov't and it can be felt in motorists' wallets no matter what slight-of-hand they use to disguise it. If someone thinks that the helicopter will be a gov't cash-cow there are plenty of precedents to support that belief.

Quote:
As for valuing a life - ALL human life is precious, and of infinite value, and while I happen to agree that our armed forces are treated pretty abismally in terms of compensation for injury / loss of life etc, isn't this supposed to be a forum about Speed Cameras ?

First and foremost this is a FORUM, where contributors can express their point of view, illustrated by whatever the contributor feels is pertinent to the topic. Sometimes an analogy is better than referring to the core issue.

That no-one can put a price on a {human} life is one of those sweeping generalities which a contributor made in this forum. Such a fundamental human truth almost dares to be questioned. By implication I pointed out to the contributor that our soldiers' lives are demonstrably NOT priceless to the MoD. I make no apology if you feel I have drifted off-topic to say so, particularly as I was a respondent and not the originator of the point made.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Well correctly put as an equation it is speed = distance/ time

which is speed divided by time, not time divided by distance Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed but my earlier comment wasn't meant as an equation, I meant time 'over' distance as in time covering distance.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
which is speed divided by time, not time divided by distance Very Happy

Oh No It Isn't !! ... It's
Quote:
speed multiplied by time Razz Razz

Another thing puzzles me - a number of posts say how expensive using a helicopter is and others say it's all just a cash cow. How many tickets is the helicopter crew going to have to issue each day to make a profit then?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Another thing puzzles me - a number of posts say how expensive using a helicopter is and others say it's all just a cash cow. How many tickets is the helicopter crew going to have to issue each day to make a profit then?

Quite, impossible to raise revenue quickly enough to cover hourly costs no matter how hard they tried. A revenue earner it clearly isn't.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shricthism, I'm sorry you took offence to my comment about transplant tissue coming from road deaths. However, anyone on the list must look forward to the phone call that an organ is available, yet that organ can only be available following someone's death.

Your link to the road death figures actually shows them as being fairly constant since around 1992. Guess when the first speed camera was installed in the UK, 1992.
shricthism
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Road deaths are falling Reply with quote

navver wrote:

Your link to the road death figures actually shows them as being fairly constant since around 1992. Guess when the first speed camera was installed in the UK, 1992.

Well navver - it looks to me as if the figure in 1992 was around 4000 and now is around 3000, so thats a 25% reduction. I wouldn't call that "fairly constant"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: