Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Download time of Maps!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Download time of Maps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleDuceCoupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Download time of Maps! Reply with quote

Hi one and all. I have just returned to this forum having previously had my TT One stolen two years ago, forcing me to use my old PPC with Nav 5 software. Only now have I got fed-up with being out of date and have taken the plunge and got a "refurb" GO 930 with 1 year warranty and latest map gurantee. (LMG ?).
On first connecting up to my PC, Home downloaded and told me that new maps of USA and Western and Central Europe were available for free download. "Great" I thought, clicking on download.
Four hours later the USA map is still downloading and it hasn't even started on Europe!!! Ok, so I havn't got the fastest of broadband speeds with Virgin media but this seems a bit long.
I will leave it running overnight as I don't want to startover.
Regards Dave.

Dave.

SAMSUNG Galaxy S8 - CoPilot Europe and Australia

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not completed the job by breakfast something has gone wrong, I would have thought a Virgin Broadband connection (even the basic package) would only take 3 or 4 hours at the very most to download 2GB which is around the size of each map folder you need.

The more recent versions of Home software lets you resume from where the download was terminated so its not as bad as it used to be! - Mike
LittleDuceCoupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Download time! Reply with quote

Thank's for the promt reply Mike. Yes, I hope it will be finished by the morning.
I should have done a file back-up first! I hope I won't live to regret it. I really got too excited opening the box and plugging it in!

Dave.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider terminating the download and doing a backup then let the download start again, the download only gets copied to the computer first before it removes the old files and puts the new ones in to the device.

One other option though is to fully backup the device once the North American Map has downloaded/ installed BEFORE you set the update running for the European maps - Then back it all up again (using Windows Explorer) once the device is fully up to date - Mike
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using by any chance a wireless connection?? IF you are then use an ethernet cable to download.

My wireless connection presented me with similar problems.
LittleDuceCoupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Download speed Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice rfp2001 to connect directly to my router. Unfortunately mine is in one of the kids' bedrooms connected to his games consol.
I took your advice Mike and aborted the download of maps and did a backup to my PC. (Not through HOME). Now much later, I re-started the download and got the USA map updated (V830.2284). You are correct in that the download starts from where it left off and not from the start. I then downloaded the offered Western & Central Europe offered update of V830.2305 but after download it would not update to the 930. It keeps saying that the .......map.zip file is invalid. I have raised the question with TomTom on their support page.
I see on the TomTom map "shop" that the latest version of Western & Central Europe is at V835.2419. Why is this not offered in the Latest Map Gurantee section?

Dave.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v835 maps were released earlier in the week, this was after you started to download the v830 maps which Home continued with downloading once you restarted the process. As the newer v835 maps were released prior to you finishing the download it is possible this has corumpted the files, TomTom should be able to credit the correct map to your account which Home will then download.
I updated a One IQ last night and Home downloaded/ installed the v835 map straight to the unit, I had other issues with settings that were erased but thats a different story - Mike
LittleDuceCoupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Finaly managed to instal map. Reply with quote

At last I managed to download & install the V830.2305 Western & Central Europe map to my GO930. I did it late at night and it took approx 2 hours. The only problem now is that I seem to have lost the original TomTom Safety camera information. They are not stored as POI are they? I would be much better off getting a subscrption to GPS World.

Dave.

batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Finaly managed to instal map. Reply with quote

LittleDuceCoupe wrote:
I would be much better off getting a subscrption to GPS World.

Don't delay subscribe today - You know it makes sense! Wink
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
LittleDuceCoupe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: I've joined. Reply with quote

I now have a subscripion and downloaded the GPS World cameras. Now going out to find some uncharted positions so that I can get a lifetime membership!
Laughing

Dave.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: