Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - other platform tomtom maps on iphone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

other platform tomtom maps on iphone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: other platform tomtom maps on iphone Reply with quote

Before the thought police jump on this post.

I have checked this with tomtom, and I asked "If I have two licenses for two devices, am I allowed to transfer the maps between them?"
Their answer is that they have no problem with that, but it is unsupported.

That in mind

Modmyiphone allegedly has a tool that can convert maps from other tomtom platforms, or openmaps to the iphone, assuming you have a license for another platform.

I hope for a day, when all maps will be availailbe in an open format, maybe some version behind the paid for, and device independent, and there will be a credible OS application
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: other platform tomtom maps on iphone Reply with quote

mrg2003 wrote:
I hope for a day, when all maps will be availailbe in an open format, maybe some version behind the paid for, and device independent, and there will be a credible OS application

What a great idea, sadly I doubt it would ever happen though as each manufacturer supplies their own data in specific formats in order to profit from the sales of maps, without this ongoing revenue some (if not most) would fail to exist - Mike
Mozmoz1958
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: other platform tomtom maps on iphone Reply with quote

mrg2003 wrote:

Modmyiphone allegedly has a tool that can convert maps from other tomtom platforms, or openmaps to the iphone, assuming you have a license for another platform.

Do you have a link to this? I've searched the Modmyiphone site and can't find any reference to it.
If it's true TomTom don't have any objection, I'm pretty sure the map I have one my standalone unit is more up to date than the one I got with the iPhone app.
Wouldn't mind a play to see if I could get it to work on my jailbroken iPhone Smile
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, as I have the map subscription fully paid-up on my 740 LIVE.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: other platform tomtom maps on iphone Reply with quote

mrg2003 wrote:
Before the thought police jump on this post.

I have checked this with tomtom, and I asked "If I have two licenses for two devices, am I allowed to transfer the maps between them?"
Their answer is that they have no problem with that, but it is unsupported.

From your wording, it doesn't sound as if you actually told TomTom that one of the devices wasn't actually a Tomtom device but an Apple device, can you confirm this before I do any converting between my Tomtom and Iphone.

To old to die young.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: