Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map 835.2419 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map 835.2419 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbo66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always hit the "Quote" button even if I only want to quote part of the post, then delete what I don't want. That way it shows the name of the person you're quoting, rather than just "Quote:", which can often help, especially if the post you're quoting is on a previous page.

Thank you Anita. I am trying this your way so hope it works.
4Gb SDHC card
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbo66 wrote:
Thank you Anita. I am trying this your way so hope it works.

Robbo, I think you might have deleted the first bit [ quote="Anita"] and inserted [ quote] instead (both without the space after the first bracket). Click "Quote" on this post and see what my quote of your post looks like.
Samsung Galaxy S21
lazyjustme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a 540 live for £200.

Updated it, HD Live services didn't work from the word go.

Called Tomtom, got the standard cut and paste email. Didn't work.

Called Tomtom again, got my problem sent to the "2nd line of response" (an mysterious team that is located in a secure bunker away from telephones or computers or access to the outside world)

Had no response for days.

Found this forum.

Located the two files in my Tomtom home UK map folder (traffic.dat & tmccodes.dat) and replaced the 0kb ones on my Tomtom...

Bob's your uncle. HD Traffic services now working

Now why couldn't Tomtom tell me this? or better still make sure that their own updates don't screw up their own devices.

Thanks guys...
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazyjustme wrote:
Now why couldn't Tomtom tell me this? or better still make sure that their own updates don't screw up their own devices.

Because like most Tech companies these days TomTom do not employ IT enthusiasts or professionals who can actually answer your problems, but instead hire barely trained semi-literate chimpanzees who read from generic answer sheets on their computer screens.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lazyjustme wrote:
Located the two files in my Tomtom home UK map folder (traffic.dat & tmccodes.dat) and replaced the 0kb ones on my Tomtom...Bob's your uncle. HD Traffic services now working Now why couldn't Tomtom tell me this?

I've told TomTom about this fix. The back and forth with them emailing me useless suggestions, then me having to go online and update the case etc (because you can't reply to their emails) was getting beyond a joke. Their last request was for me to send them screen grabs of the folder contents of my TomTom. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully they will share the fix with other punters saving both parties any further wasted time and effort. And perhaps do more due diligence before they release their next map update to avoid a repetition.

Once again, I'm grateful to the support in this forum, which fixed the problem for me long before Tomtom showed any signs of doing so.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lazyjustme,

lazyjustme wrote:
Found this forum.

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

lazyjustme wrote:
Located the two files in my Tomtom home UK map folder (traffic.dat & tmccodes.dat) and replaced the 0kb ones on my Tomtom...

Bob's your uncle. HD Traffic services now working.

Glad the forum helped. Hope that you'll stay with us! Wink

By the way, the PocketGPSWorld camera database is much better (more accurate, more sites, updated more often, etc) than TomTom's own database.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
JaTe wrote:
How can TT call this a map update when multiple users end up not being able to access it?

Oh c'mon! We know at least four people who've had no bother at all - Jimbo Hippo, dhn, Mikentl and Anita.

Dennis, I may have been a little premature. I suddenly realised that I get no RDS-TMC signal until I get out of my town so as yet I haven't arrived at the point where everyone else has run into problems. Will let you know either way.

BTW the new road system in Ripon still isn't on the new maps despite being finished for a while. And yes I did bother to log it.
Holux GPSslim
Robbo66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Robbo, I think you might have deleted the first bit [ quote="Anita"] and inserted [ quote] instead (both without the space after the first bracket). Click "Quote" on this post and see what my quote of your post looks like.

Thank you again Anita for your patience.
4Gb SDHC card
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
Once again, I'm grateful to the support in this forum, which fixed the problem for me long before Tomtom showed any signs of doing so.

Nothing new there!

Glad it worked for you as well.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To everyone having problems with this map update can I suggest the following as a fix.

Take a FULL Windows Explorer backup (see FAQ).

Locate your newly downloaded map on your PC/Mac. It will be in your My Documents/TomTom/HOME/download/complete/map folder on a PC unless you have changed the Preferences to save the file somewhere else. On a Mac, sorry don't have a clue but no doubt it is a similar path. You can check in your HOME preferences.

Close HOME completely (no icon in the taskbar).

In this folder you will find one or more folders with similar names to your map eg United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland

Go into the most recent folder - you will find 5 files - a toc file, two gif files, a cab file and a zip file.

The zip file contains your map and the cab file contains your activation file.

Create a folder on your desktop or elsewhere to extract everything to.

Use WinRAR or WinZip on PCs (preferably WinRAR) to extract the contents of the zip and cab file to the folder you just created. This is the complete map now all in one place. If you get any errors then you know your download is corrupt - delete the folder that contains the 5 files and then redownload through HOME.

If your device does not support voice recognition then delete all of the cspeech files from the folder you have just extracted everything to as you do not need them.

Connect your TomTom and browse to the map folder on the device. Copy all of the files from the folder on your desktop in to the corresponding map (eg United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland) folder on your device and overwrite all of the existing files. If you get any errors then a reformat and reload from backup will be needed.

If you don't mind losing your favourites (you should be using POIs instead anyway) then delete the mapsettings.cfg file from within the map folder on your device. Go to the root of your TomTom (eg Drive E or whatever your TomTom is when connected to your PC) and delete currentmap.dat. If there is a folder called map on your TT the delete the contents of that as well. If you have a folder called gns on your TT then delete the gnsdata file in there as well. If you don't mind setting up your TT from scratch then delete the settings.dat file in the root of your TT. If you get any errors when deleting these files then guess what - format and reload from backup needed.

Now safely eject your TT - Windows users right click the drive letter for your TT and choose eject. Mac users, again sorry don't have a clue but no doubt you already know Smile

When the TT reboots choose NO when it prompts you to connect to your computer. Turn off the TT. Disconnect the USB cable. Power up and check all is well.

It appears that HOME is not extracting and installing the map correctly, so to be sure do it the manual way described above if you are having problems (constant reboot cycle, traffic services not working, etc). If this still doesn't work then connect the TT again and delete the entire contents of your map (eg United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland) folder before manually copying over the files. You will lose all of your custom POIs but you can copy them back from a backup once you have the device working.

Edited to correct cspeech files are for ASR, not TTS Smile

Last edited by AndyVaughan on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
cabmanuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hope someone can help.With my old map on my TT720 it says i have a new map update ready so i delete the old map then it says no new updates available Shocked
IvorTomTom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the latest map for my TomTom One V3. Seems to work OK but just wondering how long it's going to take to include Westfield shopping centre in Shepherd's Bush. Lots of new rand confusing roads round there.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cabmanuk wrote:
Hi hope someone can help.With my old map on my TT720 it says i have a new map update ready so i delete the old map then it says no new updates available Shocked

Don't delete the map - in theory HOME should overwrite it.

Chances are it will mess something up though, if it does follow my instructions a few posts back to manually install the map.
cabmanuk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
cabmanuk wrote:

Don't delete the map - in theory HOME should overwrite it.

Chances are it will mess something up though, if it does follow my instructions a few posts back to manually install the map.

Thanks mate Very Happy
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent and thorough explanation on how to deal with map update issues Andy. Thanks for taking the time for that detailed post. Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 14 of 22

Jump to: