Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Map 835.2419 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Map 835.2419 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeithR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Could you possibly explain that in a bit more detail? I have found a folder TomTom/Home/Backup/ One XL/Backup01/Internal Memory/UK&RI/tmccodes.dat

Do I just copy that in to the same position on my XL when mounted as a USB device etc.?

Thanks for your help

Keith
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbo66 wrote:
Sorry about the "quote" not working out properly. Will have to have another go, can't find out quite how it works.

(Assuming you're not wanting to quote the entire post, because the way to do that is simply hit the "Quote" button, then type your comments after it).

Highlight and copy the bit you wish to quote, then type [ quote] then paste it in, then type [/ quote]. NOTE that in order to show you how, I've deliberately included a space which must not be included (the space stops the thingy from working).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithR wrote:
Hi Andy,

Could you possibly explain that in a bit more detail? I have found a folder TomTom/Home/Backup/ One XL/Backup01/Internal Memory/UK&RI/tmccodes.dat

Do I just copy that in to the same position on my XL when mounted as a USB device etc.?

Thanks for your help

Keith

Your downloaded map will be in TomTom/Home/Downloads/Complete/Map folder. In there you may find multiple folders depending how many maps you have downloaded. Go into the newest folder. In there you will find two compressed files (and a .toc file and a couple of gif files) - one is your activation file and the big one (2Gbish in size) is your map. Extract the files from there then overwrite the ones on your device when it is connected by USB. Delete the gnsdata file from within the gns folder on the device whilst it is connected - a new one gets created on reboot. Disconnect cleanly and see if it is any different.
Robbo66
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Dennis for your help.
Will give it a try later.

Rob
4Gb SDHC card
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should PGPSW be charging TomTom as their support actually solves issues unlike TomTom's? Discuss.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Amongst thousands of unhappy punters, at last there is a happy one!

and me Very Happy

When I downloaded the WE maps, had a warning from TT Home that a 'tlsx' or 'tlhx' file had not loaded and that the install was corupt. Then faced with a load of red bars across TT Home.

fearing the usual, I rebooted my 720, and it all works pertfectly (so far).
Another 300 mile trip tomorrow to test it out, but done 2 140 trips and it all works. Favs, warnings etc all copied across no problems.

I'd just like to say that I have never had a problem with TT and found them to be very helpful. Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
How can TT call this a map update when multiple users end up not being able to access it?

Oh c'mon! We know at least four people who've had no bother at all - Jimbo Hippo, dhn, Mikentl and Anita. Correction! FIVE now that 253 has put in his/her bid for a free device from TT. That's multiple happy users. Good ol' TomTom.

Edit I'm not sure if dhn should count - he obviously has a device big enough to carry the new map, unlike some other NA users (allegedly). Can you believe TomTom? Given some poor NA users a map too big to fit on their devices!!

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edit I'm not sure if dhn should count - he obviously has a device big enough to carry the new map, unlike some other NA users (allegedly). Can you believe TomTom? Given some poor NA users a map too big to fit on their devices!!

No, sir....I just have a standard 720 with 2 gigs internal and a 4-gig sdhc card for the map. I just get the basic North_America_2gb map (squished format).

In fact, I've called support and said I have enough external storage for the uncompressed NA map with 3x the number of pois and could I buy the larger map? They said no way.

It's somewhat ironic that 2 years ago, when I first got my unit and did my first map update, I ran into the 'too large to fit' aggrevation when I was updating to map version 710. I was up to 4 or 4:30 in the morning figuring out how to extract enough cspeech files and other stuff to get the damn thing to fit.

It was then that I went out and got the sdhc card for my maps and I suggest that to any 720 user since.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Should PGPSW be charging TomTom as their support actually solves issues unlike TomTom's? Discuss.

I have often thought that TomTom could save a fortune by disbanding their TechSupport and buying the expertise from PGPSW and other dedicated TT forums. But my very personal views against this are -

1) The trouble would be that the advice then given would have to folow the same TT Guidelines. i.e. Customer has Problem A and Problem D, Response = "Try Solution F, if it doesn't work, reply and we'll go to 2nd Line Support". If this were not followed, anarchy would reign as a good pecentage of advice given here is either a work-around or too technical for the average TT user or a combination of both and it differs depending upon who is giving the advice.

2) TT is a World Brand, it's not unique to english speakers. I'm sure it would be possible to muster up enough members with other languages to muddle through but it wouldn't be very professional.

3) People who contribute here have an understanding about SatNavs, generally its a hobby and they are passionate about it and are happy to share their knowledge with like-minded people on an ad-hoc basis. Having to do it day in, day out, 6 days a week as a job, sat at a desk repeatedly answering ALL questions from ALL TomTom owners including the really basic problems such as "How do I turn my Go720 off" would, I fear, quickly remove the shine from an excellent forum.

What I do think should happen is that TomTom should monitor this forum and other such forums to see just what it is that their customers are getting frustrated by, take notes and then ACTUALLY do something about it.

Just my personal views.

EDIT - Just realised as I was submitting this reply that, although it is a reply to a previous post in this topic, it is completely off-topic. Sorry.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
What I do think should happen is that TomTom should monitor this forum and other such forums to see just what it is that their customers are getting frustrated by, take notes and then ACTUALLY do something about it.
Excellent thinking. I would only add that I wish just sometimes we could see evidence that TT are looking - people say TT do look, wouldn't it be nice to get the occasional post saying "We are looking into it"? I have sometimes commented in a question to TT that they can see others having the same "issue", "problem", "challenge" by looking at "THIS LINK" on our forum, but they never react. Sad

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
.... wouldn't it be nice to get the occasional post saying "We are looking into it"? I have sometimes commented in a question to TT that they can see others having the same "issue", "problem", "challenge" by looking at "THIS LINK" on our forum, but they never react....

I'm in total agreement with you DennisN. But I guess if they did, people would start asking questions direct to TT through this forum and it wouldn't be good for anybody in the long run.
BTW, I hate it when TT use the word "challenge" as if to imply their software is faultless and we are incapable of following basic instructions, I find it so patronizing. So TomTom, if you are watching, please drop the word "challenge".
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I see a word such as "challenge" used in this sort of reply, it always makes me think that it's dreamt up by someone senior who needs to show they are involved but doesn't actually know what happens on the front line. Either that or it's a bad translation from Dutch. Rolling Eyes

I've always called TT 2nd line the "black hole" as nothing ever comes out of it. BTW I'm a 2nd line support engineer who is expected to talk to customers directly at all levels.
Brodit ProClip mount
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
.....BTW I'm a 2nd line support engineer who is expected to talk to customers directly at all levels.

And what a good job you and the other Mods do of it too!

EDIT - See GerryC's following post. Sorry for the mis-understanding GerryC.Embarassed. But the sentiment remains. Laughing
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make it clear, my job has nothing to do with PGPSW - the same with most if not all the other mods. I'm an unpaid volunteer here taking support from others just as much as I give.
Brodit ProClip mount
wjv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, first post here and all that.

KeithR wrote:
Well I am running a mac with App 8.414 ona XL IQ Routes edition.

Managed to get the new map working eventually (v 836.2419) with TT help but my USB RDS-TMC now hangs and reboots at the moment it acquires the traffic data and then continuously loops.

Its fine if I disconnect the RDS-TMC

I'm in pretty much exactly the same situation as KeithR since I've updated to my XL IQ Routes' Western and Central Europe 2GB map to 835.2419. I shall follow the advice posted by AndyVaughan and others and see if that solves the issue.

However, I've also noticed a second issue since the update, and one I haven't seen mentioned when I scanned through this thread:

Many Petrol Station POIs all of a sudden occur twice or even three times. Often, the same petrol station is listed twice under slightly different names, and maybe a few 100m apart. A quick google has found one post on another forum where a user has the same problem, and he's still following up the issue with TomTom support. (Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to other forums on here, so I'll omit that for now.)

You chaps on here seem particularly clued-up technically. Is this a known issue, has it happened before, or am I doing something hideously wrong?

I'm pretty new when it comes to both TomTom and GPS in general (this was my first paid-for map update), so apologies if it's a silly question. :-}

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: