Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
Quote:
TomTom+iPod = battery drain when externally powered!
This has been my experience. I use a Brodit active cradle and my full battery had lost 50% of its charge after about half an hour's drive this morning.

I'm not going to suggest that it's only a TomTom issue, but this is a major issue for iPhone turn-by-turn Navigation, surely?!
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

wise1 wrote:
Well that was interesting - started out at 94% and ended at 94%... so it looks like the power from the car adaptor is just enough to cover the TomTom usage but not to recharge aswell.....

Ok, so now I'm suspecting this is as much about the capability of the power cabling as anything else... I know there have been issues with certain cables/power sources not carrying as much to the iPhone as others...

Best performance I get is from the original cable I got from Apple.
A Griffin Powerjolt (for car and USB charging from a laptop) is almost as good, but not perfect.

What setup did you say you had?
wise1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:

Ok, so now I'm suspecting this is as much about the capability of the power cabling as anything else... I know there have been issues with certain cables/power sources not carrying as much to the iPhone as others...

Best performance I get is from the original cable I got from Apple.
A Griffin Powerjolt (for car and USB charging from a laptop) is almost as good, but not perfect.

What setup did you say you had?

Yep you could be onto something there. In the car I use a Motor Monkey USB Charger (from Argos) and my original Apple Ipod Nano 5G cable.... (I keep the iPhone 3GS original with plug indoors for recharging).

I might swap the Nano for the iPhone 3GS cable and try another test tomorrow...
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

wise1 wrote:

I smell a plan!!
Adrian616
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jheward wrote:
I know it is very early to ask this but I wondered if anyone who buys TomTom could comment on the following...

How good is the GPS fix? I bought Copilot and am not that impressed with its GPS performance - it seems to lose the signal quite regularly

How smooth is the map scrolling? Again, Copilot hasn't impressed me with the map movements been quite jerky and slow to update

Thanks for your help

Firstly forget Copilot I wasted £25 on it as well! Tom Tom is everything I had hoped for, I've been using it since yesterday evening and the slightly longer wait has been well worth it!
Copilot GPS well I'm still waiting for a fix, Tom Tom within twenty seconds every time! Turn by turn directions come in plenty of time and I have not lost signal once, speed cameras are included as well.
Scrolling and update are flawless!
I'm sure other features will come but if you want the only real usable sat nav available on the iphone then get Tom Tom if you want to waste your money and tear your hair out then get one of the others. IT's not just me have had two of my friends call me today to rave about it and it's five stars from all three of us. Very Happy
iphone 32 16gb UK and Ireland maps.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Firstly forget Copilot I wasted £25 on it as well! Tom Tom is everything I had hoped for, I've been using it since yesterday evening and the slightly longer wait has been well worth it!
Copilot GPS well I'm still waiting for a fix, Tom Tom within twenty seconds every time! Turn by turn directions come in plenty of time and I have not lost signal once, speed cameras are included as well.
Scrolling and update are flawless!
I'm sure other features will come but if you want the only real usable sat nav available on the iphone then get Tom Tom if you want to waste your money and tear your hair out then get one of the others. IT's not just me have had two of my friends call me today to rave about it and it's five stars from all three of us. Very Happy
iphone 32 16gb UK and Ireland maps.

Your first post. Do you work for tomtom or a reseller of? I get a Co-pilot fix within 20 seconds time after time. Ive used Tomtom since day 1 right upto the most recent 940 and this iphone release is shockingly bad.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian616 wrote:
Copilot GPS well I'm still waiting for a fix, Tom Tom within twenty seconds every time!

Funny, I have CoPilot running here and it's a much better app than you suggest and better than TomTom's IMHO.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian, Welcome to the forum and please don't take this the wrong way as its not aimed at you at all.

Having used Navigon, Sygic, I-Go, CoPilot and finally iTomTom I have to disagree, the TT application is well over priced and isn't particularly well featured in comparison to what is available, your mates probably have better equipped devices at this point in time.

As for having to save up for yet more TT hardware (if it ever goes on sale) to get the poor quality GPS reception issue resolved (which is Apples fault for installing rubbish in the iFone to start with) thats another story, why do I find the TT application behaving like Navigon did pre the 1,1,0 update - Since they updated their software the GPS reception has been quite good, never had an issue with Co-Pilot or Sygic or I-Go in the same car with the iFone in the same mount.
If the competition can get decent/ acceptable GPS performance from poor hardware why can't this offering - I have a funny feeling I will be running Sygic in the morning as it pushes all the buttons for me with or without the iPhone gestures - Mike
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:

As above... all perfectly legal.

Can you provide a source from Apple Inc that backs up your statement?

To old to die young.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the presence of approved apps that permit users accessible data to be uploaded is evidence enough? RouteBuddy's Atlas being a perfect example?
ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Surely the presence of approved apps that permit users accessible data to be uploaded is evidence enough? RouteBuddy's Atlas being a perfect example?

Indeed there are loads of apps (not navigation related) that use this "built in server" technique to great effect. "Discover", "Documents Free / Documents To Go" and "Quickoffice Files" are just three very popular examples. "Discover" even clearly advertises how it does this on it's appstore page.

Steve
wise1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
wise1 wrote:

I smell a plan!!

Well I did try it this morning, this time with the iPhones own USB lead. Similar outcome though - started at 89% and ended the journey on 88%. So the weak point could be the USB Socket Car Adaptor (Motor Monkey). It would be interesting to see if anyone has any similar experience.

On the whole though not a major issue for me as I charge my phone at work during the day anyway.... and overnight at home....

But an interesting exercise anyway. Very Happy
ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

wise1 wrote:
So the weak point could be the USB Socket Car Adaptor (Motor Monkey). It would be interesting to see if anyone has any similar experience.

Interesting !... The Motor Monkey is advertised as 700ma, where as the Griffin PowerJolt appears to only be 500ma.

The iPhone supplied mains adapter is 1000ma.

Anyone know what spec the Brodit suppied charger is ?

So... perhaps we need to find a car charger that outputs 1000ma ?

Belkin appear to make a charger that has both a 500ma port and a 1000ma port !

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been an issue for iPhone long before the arrival of nav apps. It is very fussy about the charger, I have a Griffin Powerjolt which seems to be more than capable of charging the 3GS whilst Nav and iPod is running but the Powerjolt Reserve cannot.

It will charge the iPhone when off, maintain power level when nav is running but with nav+iPod the battery starts to drain. The Powerjolt is charging the backup battery as well which I understand but the iPhone clearly needs a lot of power to run and charge if a nav and iPod apps are running.
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another data point.

I use a new model griffin roadtrip. That outputs 1000ma. I've not noticed the battery decrease at all while running both ipod and gps apps so far.

-- gyre --

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: