Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have a row to show if the application pauses or mutes music while giving navigation instructions or not?
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or alternatively, what the application does to enable voice instructions to be heard above the music. such as: mute, pause, boost, etc.

-- gyre --
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phil_12345 wrote:
There are a few errors in this, Google gets its map data from TeleAtlas - it says at the bottom right corner of google maps

unless you are viewing australia then it's MapData Sciences, China uses Mapabc, South America uses LeadDog and INEGI... Hence it was easier just to put 'Google'

phil_12345 wrote:
You have also included a UK app but not UK versions of others.

I'm not following you? i've added the versions that are available in the AppStore.

phil_12345 wrote:
For example, Navigon (apart from in the US) has Text-to-Speech coming in the next update, along with live traffic updates.
It also states that Navigon has an update coming that has multi-point route planning and call POI

this is based on the navigon iphone website.

phil_12345 wrote:
but that it currently lowers the iPod music volume when there is voice guidance, yet these features are not yet available in the US until the update is released. Both these features, are, however, available in all other localisation's.

again, these were based on user input in our forums. i'll add a note to say as much.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3GGG wrote:
Can we have a row to show if the application pauses or mutes music while giving navigation instructions or not?

done.

MaFt
shedracer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for those that might know, using either Navigon or Copilot (yes I have both), what does it mean when the satnav says "beware, your destination is in a restricted area", when you set a destination?

Edit: sorry posted in wrong place. Embarassed

Last edited by shedracer on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it where the hotel I was navigating to was in a pedestrianised area. I guess another example might be if you were in a no-through road and specified a destination past a no-entry sign (assuming it couldn't re-route you properly from that point). Basically where a non-emergency vehicle isn't supposed to go I think.
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Very useful Reply with quote

This table is very useful.

I would also like to know whether any of the products do 'vias' and whether they can avoid parts of routes. My Tomtom can do both of these and I've got used to them.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Very useful Reply with quote

DennyL wrote:
This table is very useful.

I would also like to know whether any of the products do 'vias' and whether they can avoid parts of routes. My Tomtom can do both of these and I've got used to them.

by 'vias' do you mean multiple points on a route? in which case this is covered under 'Itinerary / Waypoints'

as for avoiding parts of routes i will add a new field for that tomorrow!

copilot and sygic can both avoid parts of routes, i can't remember off hand for igo and i don't own navigon so can't check.

MaFt
DennyL
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, MaFt, optimising waypoints is the same as vias. My main use of vias is to force the navigator to take a route I know I prefer. I live in Reading and when I go north I don't want set off towards London and then go around the M25 and up the M1, so I use a via to force my Tomtom to go up the M40.
alan_dr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copilot can avoid the whole of a particular road on the route, but I can't find an option like Sygic where you can avoid the next, say, 5 miles, and get back onto the same road.
Redtel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot night mode isn't showing as 'auto' but it is. Not sure what time triggers the switch though. I opened it at 9.30pm and it was in night mode.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redtel wrote:
CoPilot night mode isn't showing as 'auto' but it is. Not sure what time triggers the switch though. I opened it at 9.30pm and it was in night mode.

so it does! now corrected :D
Redtel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Just another little update. CoPilot app store description says Dial a POI is coming soon.
gyre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/rant

It just shows how rushed these products were to market to get ahead of each other and tomtom.

You'd have thought that dialing a poi would have been a pretty obvious thing to have wired up from day #1.

Likewise using the iphone's own style of keyboard, rather than some naff, tiny, non-querty abortion.

Ditto location selection on a map. I love the way google maps does it. Seems so intuitive. But some of the offerings I've seen in the last week are quite frankly awful.

Also, using some weird scrolling arrows rather than then standard iphone scrolling idioms. I mean... the iphone has been out for how many years now? At least 2.

Kudos to the developers that can bolt in the best of all the iphone idioms while still making a solid product.

/endrant

-- gyre --
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon North American update now available: http://bit.ly/HuVQC

Quote:
The free update adds a couple of new features and enhancements to the MobileNavigator. NAVIGON’s route planning function known from the companies PND line enables users to plan a route with different destinations ahead of time. Taking advantage of the iPhone’s own functionalities, a call POI function allows to directly call the number of a POI such as a restaurant or hotel by simply clicking on the number. It is even possible to save the number to the user’s contacts. Furthermore, the update provides an optimized volume control when navigating and using the integrated iPod function of the iPhone at the same time. It also allows to decide which POIs should be displayed in the map view.

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: