Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SDIO GPS Receiver or Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPAQ H4150
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SDIO GPS Receiver or Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPAQ H4150

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jschrauwen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: SDIO GPS Receiver or Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPAQ H4150 Reply with quote

I posted this in the new members section but think it may get a better response here.
jschrauwen wrote:
I'm very new at this and just bought my first PDA/PPC - used iPAQ H4150.
I was hoping that I could find a compatable SDIO GPS Receiver for it that has memory for TT Nav6 program and maps.
I've found a few that would seem to fit the bill but it seems they're discontinued everywhere.
GlobalSat SD-502 SDIO GPS w/ Built-in Memory (512 MB)
http://www.semsons.com/glsdsdgpswbu.html

StarNet SDIO GPS For Palm and Pocket PC
http://www.semsons.com/stsdgpsforpa.html

Spectec 2-in-1 SDIO GPS Receiver with Micro SD Memory Slot (SDG-810) (512MB MicroSD Included)
http://www.semsons.com/sp2sdgpsrewi.html

Like I mentioned, it seems these are discontinued. Is there no place to acquire one of these any more? Any help or guidance in this area would be helpfull.

Failing the SDIO route, I've been told that I could also go the (3rd party) Bluetooth GPS Receiver route.
The TomTom one seems to be not available anywhere (at least the places I've been searching) but I did find something that is available and for some strange reason it almost appears to be a clone/knock-off.
Gosget SB-369 Bluetooth GPS Receiver
http://www.semsons.com/gosbblgpsres1.html
Would this unit work and is it a reasonable price?
If I went that route, I'd have to buy the TT Nav6 software and maps and load it onto an SD card and get GPS that way, correct?

As you can see I'm not a computer geeky person or savy with GPS either.
Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Cheers,
John

Would I be able to find any solutions to my search in the classifieds Forum here?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a search for the qstarz or iBlue units these are decent bluetooth receivers with incredible battery life, you get over 30 hours use from a single charge of the battery. Another one is the Holux 240 a nice small bluetooth receiver.
I wouldn't be too keen on getting an SDIO unit as there have been probelms getting these to work with some PDA devices in the past and if it doesn't work when you get it you won't get new driver software for the PDA very easily if at all.

Any Bluetooth GPS receiver will work with the TomTom application as long as it outputs data in the NMEA format (which they all do), even that Amod bargain bucket priced unit will work with the hardware/ software you own - Mike
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Mike said, stay away from SDIO recievers. I worked for a company that used various GPS devices and we always had trouble with PDA's emmitting too much EMF noise preventing the GPS reciever getting a signal, and that was after getting the driver problem solved. When they worked, it was great. When the didn't, well, it was like having a teeth extracted, slowly, one by one......

This was a few years ago, and PDAs are better and GPS recievers are significantly advanced compared to then, but the SDIO GPS's are, AFAIK, old technology.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: