Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Swindon Scraps Fixed Speed Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Swindon Scraps Fixed Speed Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Swindon Scraps Fixed Speed Cameras Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comDespite Wiltshire Police's support of speed cameras, Swindon's five fixed speed cameras will be switched off from today.

Referring to the continued use of mobile speed cameras in the area, Deputy Chief Constable of Wiltshire Police David Ainsworth was quoted by the BBC as saying: "Cameras are an effective means to help achieve a reduction in deaths and injuries and, as such, are an invaluable part of our casualty reduction strategy and they will continue to be used."

The Conservative borough council cite expense as the reason, saying the maintenance cost of £320,000 a year is too much when only a small proportion of the revenue generated by the cameras is returned by central government.

Swindon is the first English local authority to scrap cameras.

Brownie1990
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: mobile Reply with quote

Still using mobiles, they're the real ones that catch people.
Nothing special getting rid of the fixed, easy to see, and where people definitely know where they will be, cameras.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the article says switched off and not taken down. This makes me think they will leave them up for the duration, and untill the credit crunch improves and just turn them on again.

So you can put a price on road safty! Evil or Very Mad

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, switched off, not taken down, but just covered up. It'll be interesting to see if they do take them down, but of course removal will cost money, so it's likely that they'll remain in situ.

You never know, they might need them again in the future when the power shifts in the council Wink
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does the government do with the revenue it doesn't return? Does it spend it on road safety or is it another tax.

Why does it cost £64,000 per year per camera for maintenance? What does this cover.

But good luck to Swindon, nice to see common sense prevailing at last.

Lets just hope everyone drives carefully in Swindon over the next few years to get the accident rate down, then maybe other councils will follow suit.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:

Why does it cost £64,000 per year per camera for maintenance? What does this cover.

I suspect it's like everything else that gets 'outsourced', The bid comes in as the lowest price "We can fit if for £1000, that 75% cheaper than anyone else." "And oh, by the way, it will cost you £64,000 per year to service it"
That's how they make their money.

My work has just paid Capgemini (or whatever) £1400 for a Dull computer that you can buy to order for £600. The 'extra' is for the privilege of having them come out and load a new version of Norton every year.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your work is similar to what mine was. And taxpayers wonder why public spending goes through the roof, and projects fail, or succeed but are massively over budget!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITV (local) news presenter said they are bagged (and showed them bagged) and added that they would be dismantled in the next couple of months.

By the way, he said "four" and for the life of me I can only find three inside Swindon on my database. There are two more almost outside police HQ on the A420, but I don't know if these are affected by Swindon Town's decision - I have my doubts.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much more 'revenue' does our fat, wasteful central government need?

The reason our council tax was shooting up at 5 to 6 times the 'official rate of inflation' from the late 90's until just a couple of years ago was that central government was deliberately starving local authorities of funds and forcing them to get more revenue locally - notice how council tax rises were lower just before elections?

Just adds to the general feeling that 'safety cameras' were just revenue raisers, and were erected in the most 'lucrative' spots, nothing to do with safety at all - how cynical.
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Despite Wiltshire Police's support of speed cameras, Swindon's five fixed speed cameras will be switched off from today.

Dennis, I'm sorry but he said five cameras on my copy not four.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
Quote:
Despite Wiltshire Police's support of speed cameras, Swindon's five fixed speed cameras will be switched off from today.

Dennis, I'm sorry but he said five cameras on my copy not four.

The "he" to whom I referred was the TV presenter, not Rob. Sadly, today I was unable to call round at the A420 to check the pair near the police HQ as I was far too late coming home from a 6 hour delivery job to Chelmsford which took 11 hours, thanks to all the weekend drivers. When will they learn to stop clogging up the roads on Saturdays?

gem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Swindon Scraps Fixed Speed Cameras Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
£320,000 a year is too much when only a small proportion of the revenue generated by the cameras is returned by central government.

This is terrible news! Let's hang on a minute, these cameras are there to save lives and prevent accidents...yawn yawn.....

There are not there to make money....!

So here is proof, conclusive in the Swindon area, that cameras are only there to make profits.
Surprised
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: cameras on A420 Reply with quote

Hi, as a Swindonian I travel the A420 regularly, and can confirm the two cameras near Police HQ have been covered over.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: cameras on A420 Reply with quote

psyskiesman wrote:
Hi, as a Swindonian I travel the A420 regularly, and can confirm the two cameras near Police HQ have been covered over.

Is it still Swindon there, not Wilts or Oxon? There are other cameras a little further towards Oxford - have they been left operating or covered?

psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the two near police hq have been covered, all others are still operational.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: