Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What would you like to see implemented in the Memory-Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What would you like to see implemented in the Memory-Map
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: wish list Reply with quote

Since you asked....

I use Terrain Nav pro for these features:
display of diffrent marks & routes for separate projects, as well as a overall view, avaiability of DOQQ photos in a side by side view with a quad, same scales. export of maps to other applications in tiff format, map reprojections when necessary, creation of marks and routes in state plane coordinates, benchmark retrevial, editing of routes by bearing/ distance of the legs (decimal degrees currently, would prefer degree, min, sec, quadrants instead of decimal degrees & azimuth)large format plotting,range rings, and distance tool, changing routes color that they show up on DOQQ, and exporting marks & routes to send to pda

I use MM for these features
map calibrations, sending maps & routes to pda, importing routes & marks created in TNP, merging maps, sending visible areas of maps to pda, sending the DOQQ from TNP to MM

I use Pocket Nav for field display of maps, setting waypoints on objects, getting distances from waypoints, navigating to routes,

I use Corpscon for conversions between lat/long & state plane, nad 83 &nad 27, batch output of files to import to TNP
I use NADCON for vertical conversions between NAVD & NGVD
I work in state plane coords a lot, and would like the accuracy to be better than the closest foot on north, and east, at least internally for import & export uses, not display.

I use some other utilitys for geodetic inverse, and conversions

but I'd really like to have it all in one place.......as well as the ability to set features on user defined layers, and user defined placenames

I realize that this would be more in a pro version, and some of these have been addressed such as comma delimited export, shape file import, map export as bmp,(on some maps) large scale printing between the pro version & new release 4.21 of MM

well, so far that's my wishlist....
CLP
BML
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to be able to build a road route with Memory-Map in the same way one does it with Autoroute which is by inputting a series of grid points and then clicking on, "get directions" which gives a totall road route. or can this be done already? If so would someone please tel me how it is done?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BML wrote:
I would like to be able to build a road route with Memory-Map in the same way one does it with Autoroute which is by inputting a series of grid points and then clicking on, "get directions" which gives a totall road route. or can this be done already? If so would someone please tel me how it is done?

This will never happen. Due to the nature of the mapping technologies it cannot be done.

MM uses Raster graphics for its mapping data, this is effectively a digital photo. As such this does not contain any information about roads that will make sense to a computer.

AutoRoute on the other hand uses vector based mapping data, which defines the individual roads and junctions. This is how autoroute can generate directions.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could manually build a route along roads in MM and the direction arrow would show you which way to head whilst driving. I have done this when I have been on private roads on estates to make sure I get the right turnings. I have also done this for navigating on waterways.
xrchris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about USB support :x

On their forum MM make out that USB is new technology but this has been around for years and looks rather shortsighted on their part.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xrchris wrote:
How about USB support :x

USB support for what functions?
xrchris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
USB support for what functions?

As quoted on MM's website
Quote:
The GPS you have uses a brand new USB connection that Memory-Map and many other GPS programs do not yet support.

USB has been with us since 1998 so it can hardly be described as new? Confused
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not sure if you meant for connecting to the PDA or PC or your GPS. Most GPS stuff I have seen has been serial port or bluetooth.
lills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to be able to lock all marks with one click instead of having to separately lock each individual mark.

Also it would be good to have an indicator of the number of satellite fixes somewhere on the memory map toolbar. This would be much better, instead of opening a separate window which obscures the map view.
Wingnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: MM Additional features Reply with quote

I would like 2 new features:

1. The CSV export of track data.

2. 3D (ie with altitude) presentation of tracks on the 3D view in addition to the track drawn on the ground.
Wingnut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Wish List Reply with quote

A few more things

1. Some control over what get copied to/from PDA. The ellipsis on the menu item 'Export to PDA...', by normal Windows convention, implies a further dialogue box offering options and the chance to Cancel. MMN blasts straight in and copies everything and gives duplicates as well Sad . (I get round this by Exporting Visible to a file, copying this file to the PDA (iPAQ) then tapping on the file in Explorer. It then opens up MMN and copies what is in the file into Userdata.)

2. Ability to 'Acknowledge' (ie. turn off) each proximity alarm. Even better would be the additional option of a WAV file that plays just once (eg 'Speed camera, 30mph').

3. The ability to create shapes (polygons) with an alarm when crossing the boundary.

4. The ability to turn Tracking off.

5. When Tracks are created, to add a sequential number to the name. Lots of Tracks named 'Here' are really not that clever.

6. A one button press to create a 'Man Overboard' type mark.

(I do like MMN though, despite all this :P )
lills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Altitude correction Reply with quote

I would like to see a setting where you can specify a correction (in metres or feet) for the altitude. With my Navman gps it constantly reports the altitude 50 metres higher than it should be. If I could specify a correction of -50m it would save me having to keep working out the true altitude.
bobdevis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Altitude correction Reply with quote

lills wrote:
I would like to see a setting where you can specify a correction (in metres or feet) for the altitude. With my Navman gps it constantly reports the altitude 50 metres higher than it should be. If I could specify a correction of -50m it would save me having to keep working out the true altitude.

Your gps is correct. It's the earth that's not perfectly round, there's your problem. Sadly, nationwide, this means a deviation of the GPS-height between 40 to 60 meters. a bit to complex to just do height=x-50
Nolo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like Pocket Navigator to be able to record tracks or "breadcrumbs". That would just about make it complete for me.

Oh, and I'd like to be able to import elevation data to go with the free USGS quads....
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolo wrote:
I'd like Pocket Navigator to be able to record tracks or "breadcrumbs". That would just about make it complete for me.

As far as I know it already does this. It certainly does on all the versions I have used.
Nolo wrote:
Oh, and I'd like to be able to import elevation data to go with the free USGS quads....

This is possible, the only problem is that you have to buy the State or 1:250k maps that comes with the elevation data. On a more serious note the latest release of USGS maps from Memory map come with both Elevation data and a Gazeter of place names. For $95 per state it represents pretty reasonable value, and not only that you are not restricted to small area quads anymore. Arizona comes as two 5Gb maps (North and South). This make it much easier to manage your maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: