Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom car kit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom car kit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digitalbullet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: tomtom car kit Reply with quote

2 days ago I received the tomtom car kit for the ipaq 4150. I ordered the product directly from tomtom and it took about 2 weeks to arrive and cost £52 inc. p+p.

My first impressions of the product are very good. It has the new mount and not the the old goose neck mount and charges both the ipaq and bluetooth receiver. The new mount has a suction cup on it which sticks to the windscreen like glue and is very very very sturdy. Overall i am impressed with the product and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an incar mounting solution. One small niggling factor is that having bought the Bluetooth wireless GPS receiver it seems quite pointless now as there are wires all over my car: from the receiver to the cradle and from the cigarette lighter to the PDA. Also, I feel as though the cigarette lighter provided isnt long enough.

However, I have found that the mounting solution kind of gets in the way when its stuck to the windscreen so I am now looking to replace the actual tomtom mount but keeping the cradle. Are there any suggestions? I was looking into ventclips, are these a good idea?
Morris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too purchased the TomTom car kit, intially I used the vent mount but was not impressed with how secure it was, I then tried the suction mount (old goosneck type) and have had no problems with it. I cannot comment on other makes of vent mount as I have not tried them.

Morris

Grzzzzzz Mr. Green
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm happy with the vent mount. send tomtom an e-mail through their support site and ask for the vent mount. you might end up getting it for free. just tell them why the mount that came with the kit won't work for you.
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the vent clips with a cradle I have had wired into the car 12V system, and the TT BT GPS car cradle, also wired in, both ignition sensed. Quite a neat job, but with the GPS on the dash I am concerned with it getting too hot in the sun, so I keep it shaded.

Anyway, to get back to the point, I have found the vent clips OK, but a bit wobbly subject to fatigue. After a while, with vibration and rocking back and forth when putting the PDA in and out they can get tired, and work a bit loose, so I'd recommend putting some elastic bands around the clips to strengthen them when you install. I have also wedged a piece of rubber between the cradle back and the vents. These measures stop it wobbling and (I hope) will prevent the clips from becoming loose.

Neil
mrklaw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you get the 4150 mount from? Global positioning systems said they weren't in yet, as the bespoke unit is new (I got a generic tom tom ipaq mount).

But this will eventually go in the wifes car, so any pointers to the proper kit would be appreciated.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMatthew (Different Thread) wrote:
(Off topic) a4ace, sorry but I'm not the A4 3.0 Quattro guy from readers mounts, although I have run two A4s in the past (both diesels). Defected to BMW 5-Series in 2001. Looks like you found a sweet spot for mounting the GPS in an A4 saloon, I like it.

Neil

oops... yeah, been a while since i looked at the reader mounts. i forgot that he had the ipaq 3970, not the 2210. his install was what i wanted to do but the oem phone cradle is on the way. the vent mount is not too bad though. it keeps the pda high enough for me not to have to move my head too much when i have to look at the screen, and low enough to keep it away from my view of the road. i don't have problems with wobbling as the wire kind of restricts its movement.
digitalbullet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: tomtom Reply with quote

you can buy the kit for the 4150 from tomtom directly.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/index.php?Category=5&Language=1

Just click on 'Buy Now' and it will ask you what PDA you want it for and then 2 weeks later you will have it.
roly2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can you get the bluetooth GPS cradle from? TomTom say that they nolonger supply them and without it, the GPS turns off when the battery runs out and, even though it gets power from the Ipaq car kit, it does not switch back on when power is supplied.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roly2 wrote:
Where can you get the bluetooth GPS cradle from? TomTom say that they nolonger supply them and without it, the GPS turns off when the battery runs out and, even though it gets power from the Ipaq car kit, it does not switch back on when power is supplied.

send an e-mail to tomtom. they have said that they can supply the cradle if users are keen on hardwiring to the car engine.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: tomtom car kit Reply with quote

digitalbullet wrote:
However, I have found that the mounting solution kind of gets in the way when its stuck to the windscreen so I am now looking to replace the actual tomtom mount but keeping the cradle. Are there any suggestions? I was looking into ventclips, are these a good idea?

You could attach the TomTom cradle to a Brodit ProClip? www.brodit.com
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it from this thread that a vent clip no longer comes with the car kit then?
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. TomTom made a couple of changes:

1 - No Goose Neck included.
2 - No Vent Mount included
3 - No power lead included (Cigarette adaptor is, but not the hard-wireable one)
4 - The cradle has a hole for the IPAQ speaker.

This is for the 2210 carkit, I don't know about any others.
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Sad Was was thinking that I was going to vent mount my h2210. It'll have to be window then!

Might look a bit odd though, becuase I have a very shallow windscreen angle, so if i want the cradle resting on the dash as well as hanging from the window it'll be about a mile away!

But can you still get a vent mount from TomTom? Whats this some people say about getting one for free? Has anyone actually managed this?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have provided the cradle for the Bluetooth GPS to some buyers who asked for it (It used to be part of the kit but they stopped supplying it). There was no mention of them supplying the vent mount clip.
BanziBarn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you get a lot less now, is the kit cheaper now that it used to be? Should be.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: