Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is the 4350 coming out soon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the 4350 coming out soon?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rorym101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Is the 4350 coming out soon? Reply with quote

I've seen the Navigon 4350 advertised in the Halfords satnav leaflet, but it isn't on the Halfords website. They have displays for it in store but no model to display which is odd... The staff at my local branch didn't have a clue when I asked them so does anyone here know if this model is due out soon, and if so, is it any good?

I'm after an affordable & decent satnav with bluetooth and European maps and the Tomtom 730 is the front runner at the minute but I'd have liked to have had a look at one of these first as it sounds like it has a lot of decent features and the map updates for 20 euros for 2 years sounds good too.
I've searched online etc. and can't even find a review of it so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rory
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is translated off the German site (if you can make sense of it)
Quote:
http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u=http://www.navigon.com/site/de/de/press/archive/2009/420?query=4350

xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: navigon Reply with quote

its at halfords now - in stock - at £160
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_728853_langId_-1_categoryId_165685#dtab
rorym101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen that thanks - No stock in the local stores though and no reviews that I can find so I may just get a Tomtom 730 for £180 off the web.

Looks like it could be a decent bit of kit but I don't fancy ordering something untested and that I've never seen online.

I might give it a few days to see if stock starts appearing locally. If I get one I'll post some findings on here.

Rory
rorym101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update : Local store had one in so had a look at it and got 15 minutes to have a proper test. I had a Tomtom previously, so was used to the ease of use (never once had to read the manual) and I felt the Navigon just wasn't as user friendly.

It had some nice features, seemed to work quickly enough and had very nice smooth graphics but seemed to be needing a bit of polish on the interface. Examples of things I wasn't too keen on were the fact that it had no QWERTY and you had to toggle between numbers and letters when entering postcodes. Also, simple things like finding a petrol station or some other POI near a given location seemed easier on the Tomtom. My familiarity with the Tomtom may have helped though I suppose.

I aslo really didn't like the windscreen mount, it looked really dated and the clip arrangement looked awkward. The GPS unit itself is nicely designed and seems well built though.

On the whole, the ease of use/POI support won over so I ended up ordering a Tomtom 730 from the web for £20 more than the 4350. On paper the 4350 looks like a cracking bit of kit, I think with a bit of polish on the UI it could be up there with the class leaders.

Cheers for the feedback anyway guys

Rory
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always considered Navigon's interface less than intuitive. Great features on most of their devices, some much better done than by the competitors. But the odd menu structure and tiny fonts are more than I care to deal with.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Navigon 4350 Max Reply with quote

Just bought one as a back up for my Nuvi 765T (my main unit), as it has lots of innovative features like you say, for only £160 at Halfords

Really wanted it for the MyRoutes application, which already looks quite impressive

Just updating my maps on the unit now (much quicker process than using NuMaps on the Garmin), and all seems fine

Dislike the far out zoom of the unit in general (knew this before purchase as 7110 and 2110 Max owner of old), but otherwise may even win me over to become my main unit - time will tell

Very quick to use and touchscreen is excellent
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Having tried the unit for a few more hours now, it comes with a much improved windscreen mount (compared to the horrible Navigon mounts of old) - the new Design Mount http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/shop/consumer/accessories/2/universal/1321;jsessionid=0DA82B1374E19EF51D93927BABCF42EF.navigon-website-3

Also my unit comes with 3D City View built in (this is listed as an optional extra chargable download on the Navigon website, but is fully functional on the Halfords unit as is Premium UK TMC) - the 3D City View beats the 3D Building View of my Garmin Nuvi 765T, and automatically zooms in to a much better level of street detail in areas where this is available

Click POI is also a neat feature (you press any of the 3D POI icons on the map to add them to your route, call them, etc.)

Junction View Pro works fine, although isn't as clear as on the Garmin, but lane navigation (Lane Assistant Pro) is the best of any brand out there

Volume is excellent and clear, although Heather (the TTS voice for English) could pronounce the "A" for "A" roads better
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
2kias
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone worked out how to add Pois to the Navigon4350Max?
I agree about Heather's pronunciation. Not good!
Nice unit with good features for the price. Just regret the poi problem.
Navigon internet shop is not working. Lets you get as far as payment and then cancels the transaction so if you are trying don't bother.
They are hoping to get it back online by the weekend apparently
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're ALL trying to work out how to add POIs (directly) to ANY of the new Navigons. Everyone has been moaning at Navigon support but so far it's a case of "Navigon says No-ooo" Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

At the moment the only option is the 3rd-party software discussed here
Quote:
POI-Warner for Navigon 7 - At last ?

I'm currently having a crack at Navigon's marketing people to see if that makes any difference Joker
2kias
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually achieved getting through on the phone this morning and it only took 30 seconds.
Will the POI Warner add them then. Thought it only added them to the units stated .
I have got a load of them off my old Garmin but I think the files are wrong.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page shows the models supported (all of them as far as I can see!)
Quote:
https://sslsites.de/pocketgps.de/secure_order/shop/Bestellen_Step1.php?pid=173&lan=en
Go to their home page if you want to see what the product does.

There are a couple of other POI-Warner threads on the forum where you will find more info about it, and about converting POIs, where necessary, to the format POI-Warner uses.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad just purchased a 4350max from Halfords. Not had too much chance to look at it.

However I can confirm;

Mount is different to the one shown on the website and looks more sturdy but faceplate is tight and has to be adjusted using a alan key so not designed to be moved very often.

TMC is the 'premium' type, however the Navigon Fresh software still offers it as a upgrade.

2 years of map updates cost £15.11 however we couldn't get the website to check out, we kept getting a error message.

My dad is going to try out the 'lorry' setting as most of the time he will be towing a caravan
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browsing through the International site earlier I came accross a Support Q&A:
Quote:

Does the software take into consideration big vehicles?

Answer:
Unfortunately, the exhaustive recopilation of data of street widths and tunnel heights is not possible till now a days in order for us to be able to include them in our mobile navigator software to obtain a best calculation of the optimum route for lorries and campers.

You can configurate the calculation of the arrival time in the navigation software by tapping on " options "- " settings " " route profile " and in " speed profile " under truck.

By this you can allow the calculated route to be displayed before the journey and avoid any problematic drive through way by entering another route point.

We will offer this service, as soon as suitable data is available to us.

This entry was last updated on: Friday, May 29, 2009 10:29 AM
Interesting that the UK site has only 99 Q&As compared with the International/German sites which have nearly 200
2kias
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

My dad is going to try out the 'lorry' setting as most of the time he will be towing a caravan

I can assure your Dad that the lorry setup only alters the time of arrival. It does not alter the route unless you alter it yourself. At least the 4350 does give some options.
We also tow a caravan and although there are some that claim to take vans into consideration I am not convinced. There are those that do it for lorries but they only take into account lorry bans etc.
Navigon said thet they hoped to get the website working by the weekend.
I have loaded POI warner and am struggling to get the pois I have put on to act as a destination. Seems to work otherwise but it would be better if we could put them on without it!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: