Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8110 software upgrade - first impressions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8110 software upgrade - first impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bit the bullet Reply with quote

To be honest it can't beat the ViaMichelin and it would seem at the moment no GPS will attempt too. It's a real shame that Navigon purchased the rights to use the data but then only ever stuck with the French version Sad
Maybe consistant badgering of Navigon would help.

I know some of the new software features of the x310 software are a result of some badgering / suggestions by customers.[/quote]

Could you provide me with the email address to badger them please.

Also - maybe a stupid question - but how do you read the questions posted on the support page? They are so dark against a dark background that I cannot read them.
chisposeti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
chisposeti - is POI-W ok now? I've got ...443 and have no problem.

If you have lost your POI data, this might be something to try:

Problem

POI Overlay loading seems to go ok and overlay list is complete, but when looking at POI categories they have no entries in them (eg 'Warning in Radius - All', "Manage POIs" etc and no monitoring takes place)

POI-W support say:

"something has gone wrong with overlays during the update. Please connect your sat nav to the computer and search for the POI-Warner directory. Delete the files "overlays.ndb", "settings.ndb" and "poidetails.ndb" (if present) from that directory.
Also delete these files from C:\Program Files\POI-Warner. Then please perform a soft-reset and reinstall all the overlays. "

I canīt test it on my car now, but i īm getting gps signal in my room, and it seems that is working again because the search in radious now is showing the pois which are near of my home. THX!!!! Laughing
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: new 8310 Reply with quote

I have received my new 8310 and I must say that after over 10 years of Garmin (Streetpilot 2610 and 2820s) I am very impressed. I will going on a long trip next week across Europe and will report back after that. However, I do have the following suggested improvements:

It needs an option for a QWERTY keyboard
An option to check the state of the battery
An audible alarm for speed cameras (I thought I read there was one but cannot find the option to turn it on).
A product similar to Garmin's Mapsource
chisposeti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: new 8310 Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:

An audible alarm for speed cameras (I thought I read there was one but cannot find the option to turn it on).

As far i remember,when I enable the option to show the speed cameras, I didn't need anything else to trigger the acoustic warning.
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok despite my better instincts kept my Navigon 8110 and did the upgrade. Pretty happy with the improvements, just a few questions

1) can you download a manual somewhere for the 8310 ?
2) how do you get the voice command menu ? cannot seem to find it

3) do Navigon have any plans to give us what we really want Custom POIs on the map without having to use POI Warner ?

4) What is the email address for Navigon Uk ? only I need a new stylus

Thanks

Andrew
chisposeti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwentvillan wrote:
ok despite my better instincts kept my Navigon 8110 and did the upgrade. Pretty happy with the improvements, just a few questions

1) can you download a manual somewhere for the 8310 ?

ftp://support:support@ftp1.navigon.com/download/manuals/navigon8310
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: 8310 Reply with quote

I have now had an opportunity to try the 8310 on a journey from the South of France (Ardeche) to Verona in Italy back on different routes, and I must say that I am impressed. The option to choose 3 routes, the traffic warnings, the lane assists and the 3D views in the cities is very good. Good accurate positioning and instructions, and, in general, fast recalculations when you get it wrong - more later. I do however think that there needs to be more POIs and information about them. the acquisition of satellite signals is slow when switching on in the mornings (and can be challenging when you come out of the hotel parking garage!) and it can be very confusing in providing enough information in cities. I took wrong turnings quite a few times as I could not really see which exit it was suggesting. I think a more expanded view in roundabouts and turns would be useful. Of course, my old favourites - the Michelin guides would be a great addition.

I would have thought that the maps would have been more up to date, particular the one way streets in Verona!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 8310 Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
I have now had an opportunity to try the 8310 on a journey from the South of France (Ardeche) to Verona in Italy back on different routes, and I must say that I am impressed. The option to choose 3 routes, the traffic warnings, the lane assists and the 3D views in the cities is very good. Good accurate positioning and instructions, and, in general, fast recalculations when you get it wrong - more later. I do however think that there needs to be more POIs and information about them. the acquisition of satellite signals is slow when switching on in the mornings (and can be challenging when you come out of the hotel parking garage!) and it can be very confusing in providing enough information in cities. I took wrong turnings quite a few times as I could not really see which exit it was suggesting. I think a more expanded view in roundabouts and turns would be useful. Of course, my old favourites - the Michelin guides would be a great addition.

I would have thought that the maps would have been more up to date, particular the one way streets in Verona!

I have always been pleased with my 8110 (now 8310). It has downfalls but so does every Sat Nav I have ever tried. I'd love for navigon to sort out the custom POI thing and finally release Michelin guides. I noticed the recently released the German ADAC travel guide things (German only) so maybe Navigon are realising the potential to make money with add on's people want.
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you get voice command functions to work in english ? - read the manual still cannot find it :-(

Thanks

Andrew
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwentvillan wrote:
how do you get voice command functions to work in english ? - read the manual still cannot find it :-(

Thanks

Andrew

In the main settings 'options' 'settings' and 'general' on page 3 there is a option 'use voice command' I have mine set to 'complete'

I assume that's the option you are looking for.
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I must also say the upgrade to the 8310 is excellent, the MyRoutes feature simply for giving me the option of 3 routes rather than one is an excellent one, saving me having to try different routing profiles to get the routes I want. Also the design of the UI is much nicer and a little more logically laid out, TMC data and presentation is improved, even if the data has not (Trafficmaster really need to get their act together), the unit responsiveness seems faster. There are still some holes but its now a much more cohesive unit.

However POI-Warner seems to be having major issues talking to the unit, it doesn't register with the GPS (even after clean multiple re-installs) or doesn't start, or starts but never pops up. Is anyone else having these issues with POI-W with 8310 upgrade ? Any solutions anybody knows ? It works from time to time but not very reliably any ideas ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

A
R
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, France gave mine a bit of a workout! Have to say I'm very impressed with the upgrade. As a first account, the features where I really noticed very welcome improvements (others may not have had the issues I had with the 8110, if they were better at using it than I perhaps was Embarassed ):

TMC - Tremendous improvement. I used to have to decide to divert/ignore MILES before it was sensible to decide (and the dialog box masked the whole screen until it was cleared - really great when you are navigating Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ), and once chosen I didn't seem to get another chance nearer the delay. Now, the warning icon is neatly on the right edge of the screen and can be left until later. And if you do decide to change your mind, the incident list gives you the option.

Incidentally, I found that where it said it couldn't recommend a detour, you could still use the list to force one if you really wanted to.

But I would definitely advise against opting for automatic rerouting, as I don't think that it will cancel the detour if the traffic jam status disappears (though I haven't dared confirm this!) In any case jams have a habit of disappearing before the TMC notification is cancelled - I had a 30 minute delay on an autoroute slated which I decided to ignore and sure enough, sailed through with the estimated time reverting to it's original value!

Voice - Heather (TTS) seemed to struggle with French road names even more than me. In the end I gave her a rest and used Susan (non-TTS) expecting to have to settle for 'turn right', 'take third exit' as our Garmin does - but she actually announced road NUMBERS ('Follow the D181') which outside town centres is actually far more helpful anyway. She's quite posh - make a good match for Garmin's BA pilot, Daniel.

POI-Warner - I have to say I had NO problem whatsoever being told of upcoming POIs, doing a search 'In Radius', setting a route, etc. I can only suggest that anyone with problems (assuming they have already tried the solutions described in these threads) describes them in more detail on here or to the POI-Warner people to get specific help.

Duplicate Destinations - One of the things that irritated me before was that when a destination name came up with a number of options when setting up a route or just navigating to it (eg Chartres), so that I had to check with a 'Show on Map', if the one I looked at wasn't the right one it sent me back to the original input screen and I had to start again for each name check. Now I can click on the tabs at the top of the screen and just go back one step. Much better.

Screen cradle- I broke the USB connector in the cradle, which made me panic a bit as the 8310's own USB is then inactivated. But when I put some insulating tape over the cradle's connections the 8310 then quite happily received TMC, navigated and charged. I assume that the cradle has SOME useful function but as I don't use hands-free or FM at the moment I didn't miss anything. Anyone know what functions the cradle IS needed for?

Intelligent Parking. Again very useful being a sigle click away, although you do obviously need to check prices at the place you choose.

Voice command - very handy for things like a block route detour, but it's not quite as 'free speech recognition' yet as Navigon say - early days though. I would like to have an idea beforehand of what functions are supported, rather than just having it flash up when going through the menus.

Route Profile - the icon is neat when it's there, but it hasn't stopped me trying to arrange a several-hundred-mile journey as a pedestrian Rolling Eyes But the 8310 did then warn the journey was too long for that mode.

MyRoutes - I liked this, especially as switching to the destination search map you can actually see what towns the routes take you through.

I've got a few issues/queries which I will raise with Navigon once I have confirmed it's not my ignorance. But they are very tight-lipped about lack of user-POIs, having ignored the last couple of queries I sent with this moan included. But they must KNOW people aren't happy, and they did hint to me a little while ago that something might be done. I guess they just feel they have nothing to say until the marketing/development teams decide.

But a GREAT improvement Laughing
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a good trip then. Not going to be able to fully test mine until I go to Longleat in a few weeks time.
PoiWarner was causing me a few issues, but a complete wipe and reinstall seems to have fixed it. Also discovered the colour bar is nicer than the 3D view. Doesn't detract from the higher quality graphics of the Navigon so much now.

Voice command could still use some work and seems like the 8410 may well have the full voice interaction which is a little lacking on the 8310. It will be nice if the full voice command is offered as a add on as so far there's be no confirmation on if the 8410 will get a UK release.
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seemed to have fixed my issues (touchwood) with a complete wipe of POI-W and re-install but for some reason my "device id" had changed at the website once I online activated with that new number all seemed ok. Glad to have it working again.

Thanks again

A
R
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Fresh, the map section shows an expiry date of May 2012. Does this
mean that the 8310 upgrade brought with it an additional 2 years of FreshMaps? (I still had 1 year to go). Or is the expiry date is talking about something different?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: