Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another Map Update Query!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another Map Update Query!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Another Map Update Query! Reply with quote

Hi,

In another thread Mike stated that "It (the Map Update Guarantee) must be used within 28 days of initial purchase of the device".

Is this correct, as I was under the impression that the 'trigger' date for the start of the 30 day free update period was when the device in question first contacted a satellite, rather than when it was first connected to 'Home', or indeed when it was actually purchased?

I understand also that the Last TomTom map update was issued on or about 18th May, so on that basis, how safe is it to assume that will release the next one before the end of August?

As usual, I am just wondering how long I can leave it before 'activating' my new 'ONE.!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently used LMG on a device that has been in regular use for 18 months and it worked without a glitch so who knows how this system really works, the device in question had never been connected to a computer at all since purchase until I was asked to update it - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is this:
Irrespective of whatever system they use to start the countdown, if the automatic update of the map doesn't work (as often happens) then TomTom will want to see your "proof of purchase" in order to give you the map manually.

And they WILL use 30 days from the date on that piece of paper.
Curious
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a strange one, further to Mike's recent exprience on a unit 18 months old, my brother asked me to put some POI's on his 920(approx 9-12 months old). He hates computers, and there is no way this unit has ever been connected to a PC till I got it.
On attaching it to my computer; TT Home started (which is installed for my 940), so I registered the 920 and TT Home came back telling me that the LMG had expired? So, I thought, as I had read somewere here, that the GPS unit has a Birthday, i.e. a date when it first picked up sat info, imprinted in the data somewere, which TT home reads. Who knows, perhaps it was just this unit and TT Home
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious wrote:

On attaching it to my computer; TT Home started (which is installed for my 940), so I registered the 920

I hope you used a NEW login name (email address)! If you registered it to YOUR account, you won't be able to update your own 940 properly any more.

Quote:
So, I thought, as I had read somewere here, that the GPS unit has a Birthday, i.e. a date when it first picked up sat info, imprinted in the data somewere, which TT home reads. Who knows, perhaps it was just this unit and TT Home

There is a "birthday.txt file on the machine, but TT have been known to use a variety of methods to determine first use. Obviously, they aren't too keen to explain the system, but rest assured they don't use a simple text file as the proof (any more...)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: