Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Mobile Maps Europe for the iPhone back in the AppStore
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Mobile Maps Europe for the iPhone back in the AppStore
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zebsogo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:

I also chose to ignore the comments about the OV2 folder as it is discussing an pirated version of Sygic Mobile. That and the fact that Sygic do not support OV2 files in anyway, using their own custom UPI binary format.

Ignore it if you like, put your head in the sand .whatever... The fact remains on investigation there is an OV folder and inside that folder is a file called "speed cameras.upi" and "traffic lights.upi

I'm not not interested in people trying to take the moral high ground about it im only interested in peoples opinion on the technical aspect of weather they think it would work with sygic

SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a tangential topic: I can't see TomTom providing support for Custom PoI's, particularly speed cameras, as that's a service they sell. Not sure how that's going to work through the App Store though...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
On a tangential topic: I can't see TomTom providing support for Custom PoI's, particularly speed cameras, as that's a service they sell. Not sure how that's going to work through the App Store though...

Why not? The ability to add customisable POIs is one of the big selling points for TomTom why would they decide to withdraw that functionality if there is no technical reason to do so?

Selling subscriptions in the appstore is reasonably simple. Apple built that functionality into OS3.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them viewing this as a priority.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
I dont think you are missing anything, I suspect it cannot be done. From a brief look a the app it would appear as if the Mobile Maps is pretty much a port of the WM version with it's own custom UI that doesnt take advantage of the built-in iPhone OS features.

The Iphone version is based on the same core code (for want of a better word) on all versions. Hence why a jailbroken phone can use custom POI as it is possible to put the UPI files in the correct location. It also makes it possible to jump between versions without having to learn too much extra as they all have the same 'look and feel'.

Mike, have you found anything on the Iphone version which is different (better or worse) than others?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSR wrote:
Well I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them viewing this as a priority.
Time will tell...
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zebsogo wrote:
I'm not not interested in people trying to take the moral high ground about it im only interested in peoples opinion on the technical aspect of weather they think it would work with sygic

I think you will find discussing pirate versions of software on here is forbidden, hence why I ignored it.

I have also already told you that Sygic does not support OV2 files and the core code is the same between all versions of Sygic mobile meaning the Iphone version will support only Sygic custom UPI binary format, once they have a version that allows uploads.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
MikeB wrote:
I dont think you are missing anything, I suspect it cannot be done. From a brief look a the app it would appear as if the Mobile Maps is pretty much a port of the WM version with it's own custom UI that doesnt take advantage of the built-in iPhone OS features.

The iPhone version is based on the same core code (for want of a better word) on all versions. Hence why a jailbroken phone can use custom POI as it is possible to put the UPI files in the correct location. It also makes it possible to jump between versions without having to learn too much extra as they all have the same 'look and feel'.

Mike, have you found anything on the Iphone version which is different (better or worse) than others?

Indeed having the same code code with a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) allows applications to be rapidly deployed on different platforms, a procedure introduced by Microsoft back in the days of Windows NT.

Having FTP access to my iPhone allows me to browse the file structure and let me add the custom POIs with icons and Voice Alerts. I can confirm that the installed application structure is quite different to the .ipa package contents structure, and it took a bit of experimenting to determine where to put the various additions. I can also confirm that there is no OV2 directory anywhere in the file structure.

Pirated software is not only illegal, but also foolish to install as you dont know what time bombs are awaiting your device. Just a gentle reminder that we do not approve of discussions on Pirated items other than combating them.

As far as a comparison with other versions of Sygic software go I am unable to comment. I am meeting with Mike Alder tonight and this is one of the things we will be discussing.

My main concerns with the setup at the moment is that there is sometimes a lag in the GPS position update, and that occasionally the POI alerts are not issued. Having said that the GPS position issue is not severe and is an Apple iPhone hardware problem 99% of the time the position is reported reasonable rapidly. The POI alerts are somewhat unfair to comment on as the app doesnt really support custom POIs and I still have a lot more testing to do to determine if the issue is our data or the app.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike. Will be interested in your discussions with Mike Alder tonight. I suspect there will be very few differences, and the main ones will be because of something Apple require - like the custom POI issue at present.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have questions that you want to put to a Sygic spokesperson about Mobile Maps please post them in this thread.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a brief play this afternoon I would agree it is very non iPhone like.

Funky own keyboard.

No integration with the iPhone Contacts App.

I had problems with some preferences not appearing to 'stick' - lost my Home location - then powered down after the iPhone lock period I had set, despite setting it so that it shouldn't. Went back in to the settings and the settings had not stuck.

Really annoying startup warning screen EVERY time.

Fonts too small for Speed and Time to destination.

1970's 16 colour graduated tones effect on the 3D Map background.

No compass?

No road speed limits shown.

It can only get better.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3GGG wrote:
No road speed limits shown.

Some Speed limits are shown as long as the info is included in the map data. The limist show up on the major roads around where I have been testing, in fact there is a 70 MPH limit shown (road is now 50) on the screen shot at the top of this topic.
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not seen any speed limits at all so far in town or country round here, yet the free version of Navigon shows them all. The maps are all I like about Navigon Laughing
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Sygic plugins Reply with quote

[quote="MikeB"][quote="scarymonkey"][quote="MikeB"]I dont think you are missing anything, I suspect it cannot be done. From a brief look a the app it would appear as if the Mobile Maps is pretty much a port of the WM version with it's own custom UI that doesnt take advantage of the built-in iPhone OS features.[/quote]

The iPhone version is based on the same core code (for want of a better word) on all versions. Hence why a jailbroken phone can use custom POI as it is possible to put the UPI files in the correct location. It also makes it possible to jump between versions without having to learn too much extra as they all have the same 'look and feel'.

Mike, have you found anything on the Iphone version which is different (better or worse) than others?[/quote]
Indeed having the same code code with a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) allows applications to be rapidly deployed on different platforms, a procedure introduced by Microsoft back in the days of Windows NT.

Having FTP access to my iPhone allows me to browse the file structure and let me add the custom POIs with icons and Voice Alerts. I can confirm that the installed application structure is quite different to the .ipa package contents structure, and it took a bit of experimenting to determine where to put the various additions. I can also confirm that there is no OV2 directory anywhere in the file structure.

Pirated software is not only illegal, but also foolish to install as you dont know what time bombs are awaiting your device. Just a gentle reminder that we do not approve of discussions on Pirated items other than combating them.

As far as a comparison with other versions of Sygic software go I am unable to comment. I am meeting with Mike Alder tonight and this is one of the things we will be discussing.

My main concerns with the setup at the moment is that there is sometimes a lag in the GPS position update, and that occasionally the POI alerts are not issued. Having said that the GPS position issue is not severe and is an Apple iPhone hardware problem 99% of the time the position is reported reasonable rapidly. The POI alerts are somewhat unfair to comment on as the app doesnt really support custom POIs and I still have a lot more testing to do to determine if the issue is our data or the app.[/quote]

The SDK talks about it being a pluggable architecture. We have done a POC to interface car steering controls to the embedded/linux version. It should be trivial, but in the iphone case, you'll have to pay aple $$$ to get it as an approved app.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: