Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new 730, couple of quick questions. (the saga of TT support)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new 730, couple of quick questions. (the saga of TT support)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to currys who took the unit back. And walked away with a new XL IQ routes edn Europe.

After backing up the new device, it's updated the maps, updated its app, and the other stuff....

Not a problem this time. All i can assume is the 730 was faulty, as the new XL works fine. A shame really as i liked the 730, and the extras.

My only current critisism of the XL is the way they designed the mini usb socket, its too recessed, making it difficult to fit/remove the usb cable supplied
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you still ended up with a tomtom...after a tomtom employee hinted to you that they are rubbish!
I have had a couple of issues where they have sent me instructions to follow and each time I switch the 720 on, after following their instructions, it says unable to find maps!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomToms aren't rubbish....
TT are still the market leader.

Thousands of people use them happily with no problems or issues.

Where they do fall down is with customer support if something esoteric goes wrong. It often seems to be in ways that other people with the same apparent set-up don't get which makes problem solving hard..

Also, they have some odd ideas about what constitutes an "improvement" to their software and are very slow to change things back even after it has been pointed out to them.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
TomToms aren't rubbish....
TT are still the market leader.

Well, actually Garmin still has the biggest market share (market leader?) worldwide, and has since early last year. The differences in market share between TT and Garmin looks to be expanding, but both are giving up some market to low-priced newcomers.

At the end of the first quarter of last year, TomTom held 27% and Garmin 29% of the total worldwide pnd market. One year later, end of first quarter 2009, TomTom has dropped a percentage to 26%, while Garmin increased their lead, grabbing 34%.

But I agree, TomTom's certainly are NOT rubbish. I have two of them to go along with 2 Garmin's. At times the TomTom's are a better match for my travels, other times one of the Garmin's is a better choice. My Navigon is seldom used. The latest JDPower rankings of navigation devices and customer satisfaction put Garmin and TomTom 1 and 2, with everyone else well behind.[/b]
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was thinking of European Market share.

TomTom also swept the boards in the 'Reevoo' Customer Choice Awards 2009

http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=764&Year=2009&Language=1
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly I went back to tomtom (I'm used to them, I like them, and was willing to try again on the basis that I had a dodgy machine)

And back it went....

The XL's gone back to currys too. The main problem was the mount.

I have a Picasso, that has one of those athermic screens, so i always had previous devices stuck on the side windscreen, that's in front of the drivers door. The "easy" port didn't allow the XL to sit straight so i could view it properly. (admittedly this was a perfect position for the passenger)

The USB socket was a right pain to connect and disconnect whilst in the mount (kept popping out).

The final problem was i didn't realise tomtom had removed bluetooth from the XL's, meaning no GPRS connection to get GPS quick fixes, or traffic data (forcing you to take your chances with RDS connection).

Essentially it took me less than 48 hours to realise I wasn't happy with it, so now i'm looking round for a new sat nav solution, so its time to do some research......
Siddy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Go730 tech support Reply with quote

Just sent tech another good email asking why my poi's don't work.
Other than that I like the Go730 and the transmitter to radio is very good.
Had to use my pda and tt5 at weekend as I lost my favs on update. But it didn't miss a beat and knew every camera, may have drove accross a few field due to old maps Laughing Out Loud.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: