Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Newer Syson CF Plus still laggy Reply with quote

Bought and received my Syson GPS CF Plus and TomTom Nav 2 this week. I'd read here about the lag but assumed the firmware would be fixed by now. Have tried both NMEA4800 and Sirf38400 (which both work) but there's a consistent 5+ sec lag in either mode under normal town driving speeds (30mph).

I have an 0312****** serial number and using TomTom Nav 2 (GPS v2.09 302/393 and TTN 2.24.2 (363)). I have no other Nav software to test with but from reading this thread I think I understand it's an Xtrac issue.

Is there a way to update our own firmware or disable Xtrac, if that's the issue?

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were early firmware revisions that did have bad lag, but lag per se isn't a firmware issue. It's how XTrac is designed. Rather than discarding the bad satellites, when you're in hard to reach signal places (which the GPS won't actually know that you are), it will rather than discard the bad signals, it will try and utilise them. If you have more bad signals than good, then yes you could see positional errors and latency.

It also depends on whether you have a UV coated windsceen, if you do then you'll notice a lot more latency and lag because you will never have a great amount of good sats on a UV coated windscreen.

No way to disable XTrac it's in the chip.
jeffx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Plus II card Reply with quote

Will you be reviewing the Plus II card?
http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=303
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will, but I can't say when. Technically though there is not an XTrac V2 chip, there are only tweaks to the software that are incorporated within the chip and it's still designated XTrac.

Many companies are labelling this as XTrac V2 when SiRF themselves haven't labelled it as a major upgrade.
jeffx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my SysOn CF GPS Plus II card and have to say I LOVE IT! There is no lag, location is right on and it is super sensitive. It's also so small, I have just been leaving it in my iPaq 2210 all the time.

To give an idea of how sensitive it is, I was able to lock on to 7 satellites in my car, in my masonry garage, with the garage door closed. Wow!

Both Semson's and and BuyGPSNow have really good iGuidance packages on sale now with this GPS, so check them out.
TheSquare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been impressed with the sensitivity of the SysOnChip. It got a signal while I was walking in the Lakes (coming off Scafell Pike) when the eTrex Vista didn't!
latinware
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: NEMA Reply with quote

My SysOnChip GPS Plus works great, I'm using NEMA since it's more reliable, besides I have used many apps like Vito's Navigator II, SmartMap, GPS Dash and now Megalith GPS Tuner 3.5 which is a wonderful software. I used this soft with my own maps (I live in Colombia). So, remember for people that are having problem with this brand thatt some times the trouble is with the software and not the hardware. Thumbs Up

Ref: iPaq H5450 + SysOnChip + GPS Tuner 3.5
GPS Tuner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a few problems with my unit, which I bought just a few weeks ago, it is the 512mb CF card version.

It was working fine for a couple of weeks but recently, in doing the exact same journeys I've been doing before it has been off by quite some margin. It has been placing me in streets about 5 miles away, my speed according to it seems to be erratic, I was doing 250mph at one point! It doesn't just seem to be searching for a signal, I drove for about 20 minutes one time and it consistenly placed me about 2 miles to the west of my true location.

I've found that when exhibiting this behaviour if I turn my Ipaq 2210 off for a few seconds, then back on and reenable the GPS it finally gets the accurate location, but it's often meant I'm about 15 minutes into my journey before I can get an accurate poisition.
Johnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: REVIEW COMMENTS: SysOnChip CF Plus GPS Reply with quote

Iif you got about 100m to 150m delay, it is time to switch the datum of your map, which is saved in your TomTom. I guess the map is using a local projection.

Johnson
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom maps, like many maps designed for GPS usage, use WGS84, the "native" GPS datum.

Whilst recent SiRF firmware GPSes do have switchable datums, I've never come across one set to anything other than WGS84, particularly by default.

Lag problems with SiRF GPS hardware are usually either down to using XTrac version 1 firmware or SiRF binary mode at a low serial port speed like 4800 bps.

David
hanu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harrinp1 wrote:

Only issue I had was that I somehow managed to get it stuck in NMEA 38400 but this isn't an issue.

Hi!

I got myself in same situation. Not only the 303mmf has got stucked in NMEA 38400 but it does not find any satellite! Also the unit does not agree to change to sirf mode. Brrrrrrr

How did you manage to get out of the nmea 38400 mode?

br
Hanu

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: