Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Setting HGV Speed Limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting HGV Speed Limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBripocket
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Setting HGV Speed Limits Reply with quote

Hi
I drive a truck and have been trying to find a way to get warnings of SpeedCams on single carriageway roads where the National Speed limit applies (40mph for trucks!). I realise that it is not a viable option to have multiple files for vehicles with different restrictions, so rather than taking chances, I would like to be warned for ALL cameras. I don't know if I'm being thick, but so far I haven't found a way of doing this.
Can anyone please suggest a solution? I'm not completly dumb, being able to create POIs etc, but I must be missing something!
Thanks

Garmin SP510c
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What device do you have? We have the Single File and Consolidated by Type files which do not have speeds associated with them.

But Garmin units operate differently.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think our database will give you anything other than a warning of a camera position, it can be set up for speed related warnings but the speed data is for cars.
The national speed limit differential between a car and HGV is not covered and would need a specific HGV download of the data to be created (not easy).
Personally I would like to see the NSL scrapped and replaced with 50MPH for all vehicles, when you look at the accidents around Lincolnshire you soon start to see what happens with NSL and no motorways, idiots overtaking trucks playing "chicken" with the approaching traffic - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you used Ash10s Camera Manager it will alert you to ALL cameras once (regardless of speed) as a Proximity Alert but the Overspeed Alerts would be set to car speeds still.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the cameras (or the system behind them) clever enough to realise what type of vehicle is speeding past them? I assumed that they just had a simple setting to flash at a given speed, say 60mph on a single carriageway road. This would mean that a truck exceeding the 40mph limit is not likely to get caught by a 60mph camera.

Perhaps mobiles are more flexible, because there's a person actually monitoring these, but the fixed cameras shouldn't be an issue.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GATSO's have long since had the ability to trigger at two different speeds, for HGV's and other road users.

I suspect it may well be true of other devices. If you look at the image below you can just about discern the HGV icon above 087 at the top which matches the Car icon at the bottom.

That shows the settings for the different speed thresholds.

Last edited by Darren on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure Andy posted a photo of the control panel inside a GATSO the last time this came up...

ETA: It's here
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy's pics are better than mine Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few with height finder kit added to the camera, if a tall vehicle goes through it uses the lower limit - not always fool proof though as coaches can set them off at the lower speed even though they should be using the higher speed rating - Mike
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The database does not specify whether:-
50mph[or any other speed] is on a NSL road or
50mph[or any other speed] is on a dual carriageway or
50mph[or any other speed] is on a motorway
so where you are restricted to 40mph on a NSL road you have higher limit on dual carriageways and again on motorways. So it is is impossible task to get what you want.

However, with the Garmin zonned database you have a visual warning of every camera [its type and speed] and you can remove the overspeed warnings.
In your mind you will have to subsitute 40mph for the 60mph on NSL roads, and the same on motorways. I have the same problem with towing on NSL roads and Motorways!

I recommend the visual zoned database for Garmins as shown below.

BigBripocket
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I'll have a look at Ash10's camera manager. At the moment I thought I'd try changing the alert on all the files to proximity rather than speed, I'll let you know...
On the subject of cameras being able to differentiate between vehicle types, I have fallen foul of one of these several years ago on the A52 west of the A1. I think it was triggered by the height sensor to which Mike refers. Then there are mobiles and the dreaded SPECS.
Don't get me started on the NSL and trucks, 40mph is B----y dangerous on some roads (what is it about the Lincs drivers? On a recent cross-county trip I could have been witness to at least 3 potentially fatals had I not braked to allow the cretins pass quickly!). Most of the continent now has 80kph single carriageways for trucks.
Thanks again
Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: