Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new 730, couple of quick questions. (the saga of TT support)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new 730, couple of quick questions. (the saga of TT support)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: new 730, couple of quick questions. (the saga of TT support) Reply with quote

OK, most retailers are trying to off load x30 series PND's, got a new 730 and RDS TMC aerial today for £185 to upgrade from my old "v2 One". I was origionally just going to get a 530, but it was too good a price....

So for the first of what will probably become a series of questions...

1, Whats the latest version of the maps? I've got 800.1762 on there, and TT home hasn't offered an update

2, what frequency is the TMC data on, so i can force it to stick to the right frequency (something about 101 rings a bell in the depths of my memory)

3, in the menu is the option for "car preferences", but its greyed out. what is it, and how do i get it active?

4, my old tomtom came with a months free trial of traffic, am i supposed to get this, or is this one of the cuts they've made over the successive new versions?

5, my new phone (sony ericsson W595) is listed as being compatible with the 730, yet its not in the phone list, when i try setting up the wireless data connection. how do i get it in the list?

thats it for now

Last edited by EvilTwin on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi EvilTwin,

EvilTwin wrote:
1, Whats the latest version of the maps? I've got 800.1762 on there, and TT home hasn't offered an update

The lastest public release that I have on my 730 is:
Western and Central Europe 2GB V830.2305 (1796.2 MB)

EvilTwin wrote:
2, what frequency is the TMC data on, so i can force it to stick to the right frequency (something about 101 rings a bell in the depths of my memory)

Please read Mike Alder’s FAQ guide, here, especially #9 about TMC.

EvilTwin wrote:
3, in the menu is the option for "car preferences", but its greyed out. what is it, and how do i get it active?

Have a look at this post.

EvilTwin wrote:
4, my old tomtom came with a months free trial of traffic, am i supposed to get this, or is this one of the cuts they've made over the successive new versions?

Your TMC-RDS should be roughly the same as the old traffic, with the benefit that you don’t have to pay GPRS costs.

EvilTwin wrote:
5, my new phone (sony ericsson W595) is listed as being compatible with the 730, yet its not in the phone list, when i try setting up the wireless data connection. how do i get it in the list?

Try pairing it with the unit via Bluetooth and following the on-screen instructions.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: new 730, couple of quick questions.... Reply with quote

EvilTwin wrote:
OK, most retailers are trying to off load x30 series PND's, got a new 730 and RDS TMC aerial today for £185 to upgrade from my old "v2 One". I was origionally just going to get a 530, but it was too good a price....

So for the first of what will probably become a series of questions...

Dunno
Quote:

It varies from region to region, there is no 'one' frequency
Quote:

It is for a car-kit that never made it to market, been there for years, ignore it.
Quote:

Not offered currently.
Quote:

Try other similar Sony models? Are you running the latest software update on the 730?
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the map updates, Tomtom home's telling me my maps are 5 quarters out of date.

Its also telling me my option to take up the latest maps update has expired, so where do i stand?

Its a brand new 730 i bought today, so i thought quite simply i could just get the maps by downloading them. can this be sorted out by calling tomtom, or will they refuse to honour their update guarantee?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that it was switched on by the retailer before you bought it, perhaps demonstrating it to another customer. If this was more than a month ago your Latest Map Guarantee (LMG) will have expired. As you will have a receipt proving that you have only just bought it, contact TomTom support, explaining the situation. They will reactivate the LMG, perhaps first asking you to fax a copy of your receipt
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said, to query the LMG you will have to call TomTom.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the device connected to TomTom Home when you click "Tools" on the task bar you get the option for "Use Latest Map Guarantee" I take it this is what you have been doing?

Also you have registered the device with a different e-mail account/ address to the old TomTom you have just replaced? If you have re-used the same e-mail address you might find this the issue as its known to cause loads of problems.

As for RDS-TMC frequencies, iTIS the company responsible for supplying the data used to use Classic FM and very little else, these days they have a rather more extensive network of radio stations. Classic FM is still the main higher power transmitter spread across the UK, but they also employ lots of other radio stations so the actual frequency could be anywhere within the FM band.

Finally if non of the above helps the number for TomTom is 0845 161 0009 as you will need to ask them why LMG isn't working, be prepared to send an electronic copy of the receipt to prove the purchase date (either scan it of take a picture of it with a digital camera/ phone) - Mike
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rang tomtom, and they've requested an email with a scan of my receipt, details of my map version, app version etc.

Which I have in turn sent off

Soon as the supervisor approves it, they say they should add a new map to my account to be updated. Hopefully its going to get sorted, I'll let you all know what happens....

As for the 730, generally I'm happy with it, I like being able to use the FM transmitter to play my own music, as well as directions through my stereo.

The routes seem a bit more thought out, instead of taking me down a load of back roads, and through a couple of local fords, it takes me the way I'd go.

so far so good.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good device, I have a 720 and it's my work horse, the one I rely on.
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the approval, and started downloading the maps.

Things have taken on a new step this morning........

I left my laptop overnight to complete the 17 hour download to get my new map, and i woke up too.....

Tomtom home telling me the new maps were "not valid," also to rub salt in, my 730 had its maps wiped. So now i have a useless 730, untill tomtom "support" can be arsed to turn up, to work on Monday and i can ring up whichever simpleton they are employing this week.

I have a feeling this is going to take a while to sort out.

Last edited by EvilTwin on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you took a full backup first right?
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not, i used to be quite fastidious about that on my old One V2 (the SD solution made it easy), but hadn't bothered with this 730 (only had it a couple of days)

So no, i have a running device that tells me "No maps found!"

I can still use the old device.

Do tomtom send out map copies on DVD like the tomtom navigator 5 update, or will i have to download again (going through that again will send my broadband over its monthly limit, and end up costing me extra money) or is there any other alternative to downloading?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look in the folder where TomTom Home stores downloads, start TomTom Home and select Tools/ TomTom Home Preferences next select the Folder Preferences tab this will tell you where the downloads are kept.
Use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the downloads folder, is there anything in it? if so what size - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if it is there try extracting it with WinZip and copying over to the device. Then copy over the meta.dct file that is in the activation cab file and it might work - you never know!

There was a bug recently where HOME couldn't handle zip files over a certain size (2Gig?) so just bombed out on installing the maps after deleting your previous map!

Thought that had been fixed though - you are using the latest version of HOME?

Also, as HOME is so flakey, take a FULL Windows Explorer backup (including hidden files) before doing any updates - you may be lucky this time, but next time it could leave you with a useless device and no backup.

A Day One straight out of the box backup is a lifesaver at times ....
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this should be the final post by me on this thread...

After the weekend I rang TT support, they told me to simply delete the downloaded map, and try again. I did this (twice). Still an invalid map.

So I rang TT support again, their answer was "Its your firewall", so i turned it off, and tried again. I tried with no antivirus, no firewall, infact no security at all, then using a different laptop, then using a cable instead of wireless broadband (all at tomtom support's suggestion). Still an invalid map download again.

So I rang TT support again, their answer was "Its your POI's" (the ones i got from this very web-forum, so i know they were ok). TT supports advice was that i should manually copy the entire contents of the tomtom on to my hard drive, then start downloading the map again. Turn the device off, then download the rest of the apps etc. onto my 730. Guess what, it gave me an invalid map download.

So I rang TT support again, their answer was "the authentication for the map must be corrupt" so he e-mails me the meta file. I follow his advice, only to hit the self same brick wall. "Map invalid"

Tomtom are unwilling to send the map out on disc, so the support person tells me i must have a kn*ckered 730, and to return it, and that maybe i'd be better off looking at a different satnav. I asked him if he'd recccoment Garmin or Navman, and he tells me its a matter of personal taste.

Well thanks, I'm now owing BT for time spent waiting for "support" from tomtom, also owing BT for the gigs of extra broadband I've used up in this fiasco. Only to be told by tomtom that I've really been wasting my time, my money, getting a tomtom, and that maybe a garmin would have been a better choice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: