Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dorset deploys dual-role speed and red-light cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dorset deploys dual-role speed and red-light cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Dorset IS Safe Reply with quote

To be quite honest, Dorset is a safe place for safe drivers. You wont get caught by any camera, Gatso, Redlight or whatever, if you drive to the prescribed speed limit. The tourist trade will still thrive whether you collect a FPN or not !! Staying away may make us locals take our tractors out on the roads more..Ohh Arrhh. Police
boxerboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning.

These dual roll cameras go live at the modified sites in dorset today. 1st July 2009.

Keep your eyes open
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boxerboy wrote:
Warning.

These dual roll cameras go live at the modified sites in dorset today. 1st July 2009.

Keep your eyes open

Welcome to our forums boxerboy. If you go around checking them and reporting the change of use, you might Question qualify fore a free lifetime subscription, but only if you are already subscribed Very Happy
Quote:
The first person to accurately report a change to an existing fixed site i.e. change of type, correction of location, move etc
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Thanks for that info - interesting. It suggests not doing too many wrong things at once Surprised

I have to admit my post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek; the idea of someone actually breaking the speed limit at or near any traffic lights (red OR green) and then complaining about the dual use of the cameras was what appealed to my sense of humour (though someone driving like that anywhere near me wouldn't appeal to my sense of safe driving). Smile

Though sadly there are people out there for whom red is stop, green is go and amber is go very very fast and hope you get through before the other guy's green comes on.
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there any plans to have these combined red light & speeding cameras itemised separately in the consolidated download databases for iGO?

Guess that iGO would also need another icon for these bad boys as well, to differentiate them from just red light cameras?
pkabu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
That's really not fair Evil or Very Mad. Double booking me for doing over 40 just because I'm jumping a red light at the time!

The B...S Twisted Evil

Glad I was not coming the other way to be hit at 40mph by someone "just jumping a red light"
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alab wrote:
Does anyone know if there any plans to have these combined red light & speeding cameras itemised separately in the consolidated download databases for iGO?

Guess that iGO would also need another icon for these bad boys as well, to differentiate them from just red light cameras?

Assuming the iGo "consolidated" download is the same as the TomTom one, the Redspeed cameras are already put into the speedcamera/Gatso file rather than the redlight one.

Same with the speedzoned version, the Redspeed cameras are split up and put into the specific speed-limit GATSO section rather then the single Redlight one.
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AndyP.

I should have checked the files first! I see that the Gatso one does contain Type 2 (red & speed) cameras along with the Type 1 (Gatso, Truvelo, Monitron, etc.).

So would anyone know how to alter iGO 8 for red light cameras, as it appeard to be the same for Gatsos? And the excellent PGPSW files have most of the speed limit values entered in the Red light file. So, iGO8 reacts - for a given speed - to a Red light camera in the same way as it does for a Red light & speed camera.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alab wrote:
Thanks AndyP.

I should have checked the files first! I see that the Gatso one does contain Type 2 (red & speed) cameras along with the Type 1 (Gatso, Truvelo, Monitron, etc.).

So would anyone know how to alter iGO 8 for red light cameras, as it appeard to be the same for Gatsos? And the excellent PGPSW files have most of the speed limit values entered in the Red light file. So, iGO8 reacts - for a given speed - to a Red light camera in the same way as it does for a Red light & speed camera.

Have you tried using the UK - Single file with all cameras file?
This has all the types of cams, and IGO displays a different symbol for each, differentiating between redlight and redspeed cams, along with the associated speed limit. And if you use a third party skin, you can have it announce the types of cam and speed, without the default turkey gobble overspeed sound.
RussT18
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent: Monday, 6 July, 2009 10:48:00 AM
Subject: FW: warning about new road sensors on holes bay from today

This email was sent as a warning to everyone at the Council last week. Take heed.... and get your Road Angels re programmed.

WARNING!!

On holes bay road they have the red light cameras near asda, these catch you if you go through the red light, but now they have sensors in the road to catch you if you're going over 30mph even when they are green!

They are the first ones to be fitted in the country. Be very careful when going through them, active today.

Please be aware of these future "Speed on Green" camera locations.
Please note this is now active on Holes Bay Road with immediate effect (care of Julie Traffic Coordinator at Dorset Police) other junctions/areas going live over the next few weeks will be Broadstone Way, Gravel Hill, Mountbatten Roundabout (Ringwood Road), Herbert Avenue and Blandford Road North.
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Telford which was once famous for its easy traffic flow due to every junction having a road island on it, and have noticed a sinister trend during the last few years of either putting traffic lights on islands or getting rid of the islands altogether and having big cumbersome junctions with filter lights etc. To be honest when the lights are broken the traffic tailbacks disappear and when they fix them the queues re-appear. I have pointed this out to the local council but I think they must either have a government traffic light target to meet, or they do it for misguided health and safety reasons.

I wonder if they are preparing to use the combined red-light and speed cameras in this area as I have noticed tell-tale inductive loops appearing in the road AFTER you have gone through the lights. They could be something quite innocent to do with the traffic managment??

I thing this trend towards traffic light is anything but green as all that happens is that cars queue up at the lights doing exactly zero MPG while they wait, instead of just slipping onto an island and carrying on.
tazie
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also live in Dorset and would like to know under what Criteria thay used to get these camera positions approved, I work near one of the locations and have for the last 3 years and there hase not been and accident there at all. As stated it is purely a revenue trap.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussT18 wrote:
Sent: Monday, 6 July, 2009 10:48:00 AM
Subject: FW: warning about new road sensors on holes bay from today

They are the first ones to be fitted in the country. Be very careful when going through them, active today.

They most certainly aren't!

There are dozens of combined RedLight and Speed cameras in the PGPSW database already.
I can think of several in my part of West London that have been there for years.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: