Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I get a camera verified?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I get a camera verified?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: How do I get a camera verified? Reply with quote

I submitted five average speed cameras about four weeks ago on the M5 between Junction 25 and Junction 27.

They are on the PGPS speed camera database: so how long does it take to get them verified?

Or is the list of free life memberships just a con to keep us adding cameras.

This is not the first time that I have submitted cameras, but I have never received a thank you or a life membership, what is going on?

Evil or Very Mad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is not the first time that I have submitted cameras, but I have never received a thank you or a life membership, what is going on?

No, it is not a con. You can see that from the newsletter each week and the Lifetime Member tags under the names of those that have achieved it. Also read the many threads where others have asked the same.

Secondly you should get a confirmation email for each submission but you won't get a thank you for each one.

Thirdly, IF you are the FIRST ACCURATE submission then you will receive a Lifetime Submission. If you weren't FIRST or ACCURATE then you get nothing I'm afraid.

Now a Staff Member with access to the database will probably spend about an hour or so to go through your submissions to check if you should have a LTS or not. I suspect the hour could be put to better use, personally.

Try reading this thread and this one and finally this one
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and also check your SPAM filters in case the confirmation emails are getting stuck there...
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get a camera verified? Reply with quote

pillboxman wrote:
I submitted five average speed cameras about four weeks ago on the M5 between Junction 25 and Junction 27.

They are on the PGPS speed camera database: so how long does it take to get them verified?

If they are now on the database then they have already been verified, and if you didn't get the free sub then you weren't the first to submit them.

Quote:
Or is the list of free life memberships just a con to keep us adding cameras.

It's not a con, you just weren't the first. But keep submitting and it will eventually happen, stop and it definitely won't. Your submissions are appreciated and they do help to confirm other submissions.
pillboxman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s funny, they weren’t shown on the database or the mapping when I sent them in, so if someone beat me then it was by a few minutes. Lucky eh!

Thanks PaulB2005, you were correct, I had like a couple of dozen or more emails in my SPAM folder, I have corrected this so it wont happen again.

On the other hand the hours time taken to get me a lifetime membership is worth while to me! Back in the good old days we volunteered to spot cameras in order to download the database for free. When PGPS stated charging there was no concession made for those of us who were feeding data in to the database. I am wondering if the same will happen to other Free (at the moment) databases such as Public Toilets.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillboxman wrote:
It’s funny, they weren’t shown on the database or the mapping when I sent them in, so if someone beat me then it was by a few minutes. Lucky eh!

It could have been hours or days. If you weren't the first to spot them you wouldn't see them until they were verified and moved to the main database. Did you read those threads PaulB2005 pointed you at? Do you really still think it's a con?

Quote:
On the other hand the hours time taken to get me a lifetime membership is worth while to me! Back in the good old days we volunteered to spot cameras in order to download the database for free. When PGPS stated charging there was no concession made for those of us who were feeding data in to the database.

I believe people who contributed to the database while it was free did qualify for a free lifetime subscription. I'm sure someone will be along to confirm that or otherwise soon.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When PGPS started charging there was no concession made for those of us who were feeding data in to the database.

WRONG. Shortly after PGPSW 'stated charging' I received Lifetime Membership, without asking, for one camera I had submitted several months earlier. I know I'm not the only one.

The section of the M5 you mention is very busy and almost anyone could have reported before you. It could have been me as I travelled that way about the time you mention.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillboxman wrote:

Thanks PaulB2005, you were correct, I had like a couple of dozen or more emails in my SPAM folder, I have corrected this so it wont happen again.

On the other hand the hours time taken to get me a lifetime membership is worth while to me! Back in the good old days we volunteered to spot cameras in order to download the database for free. When PGPS stated charging there was no concession made for those of us who were feeding data in to the database. I am wondering if the same will happen to other Free (at the moment) databases such as Public Toilets.

I think you do not really understand how the submission map works !! the first person to submit a new camera will be able to see that camera on the map with a coloured square around it !! any other person who looks at the map will not see this so will have no knowledge that the camera has been submitted !! your additional submission will help the team to verify the correct camera location for the person who submitted the camera before you.
You say they must have beaten you by minutes it could have been a week and the team were waiting for further sightings to come in

You seem to unfortunately not have been the first this time
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillboxman wrote:

Whoa there buddy! before you go shooting your mouth off any more and accusing of us being con merchants (an accusation that will have me foaming at the mouth instantly) you're wrong. The offer is very much genuine and there is no con. If a report qualifies you get the award, if it doesn't or you are beaten to it you don't.

The submission map isn't a live view, submissions are processed and verified manually so just because a camera was not on there when you submitted it does not mean it wasn't submitted a week before and had been awaiting processing!

As for contributors prior to the charge. We publicly announced and honoured an offer to award lifetime subscriptions to everyone who had contributed, no matter how small the contribution. We made a bloody great splash about this for many weeks. Everyone who had contributed was emailed about the offer and invited to apply. Hundreds of members took advantage and benefit from that offer to this day.

Perhaps that email is sitting in some long since abandoned spam filter eh?

We work bloody hard here, we try our very best to offer a great service and I get very angry very quick when the someone has a hissy fit because their submission didn't qualify and starts throwing accusations around.

So instead of spouting at the mouth and throwing unfounded accusations , send me an email, subscriptionsATpocketgpsworld.com with a list of all the email addresses you used with us and I can check the master list I hold of all those who were eligible. If you're on it you're in but you'll need to let me know what email address(es) you were using back then or provide a copy of an email acknowledging a submission from that time.

But continue to call me a con merchant and I may decide you don't deserve the generous offer.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As john877 says you can't see other people submissions on the map until they are Verifed and made live on the database so you have NO idea of much time there was between someone elses submission and yours. It could have been days or even weeks, depending on the location.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillboxman wrote:
Back in the good old days we volunteered to spot cameras in order to download the database for free. When PGPS stated charging there was no concession made for those of us who were feeding data in to the database.

EXCUSE ME??!!! every single person who had submitted cameras or donated financially was offered free lifetime membership when we started charging for the database.

as your email address is in that list (yes, we do log everything) you will have been sent one such email. all you had to do was let us know your username and it would have been added.

it still can be, if you want it?

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if Pillboxman apologises first. It's an 'offer' not a right and having called us all liars and thieves he will have to apologise before I will consider giving him anything now.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren the views of this poster is in the minority !! 99.9% of members really do appreciate all the hard work the team does in maintaining this database !!

I have noticed in your replies you are becoming more frustrated with the insinuations that have been made perhaps if a member feels like this they should not continue as a member
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john - with the amount of work we do for the site it does get incredibly frustrating to be accused of misdemeanour's. darren handles most of the support emails and 'opening' hours are generally between 7am and 10pm 7 days a week - to then get snotty email accusations really does wind you up!

likewise after i put in around 30 odd hours in the last 3 days to get up to date on the speed cam submissions it can be incredibly irritating to receive an email basically saying 'well, wheres the update then?' - i bit my tongue and didn't reply...

we're a small team running this site and while yes, it is a small minority who complain bitterly and come up with unfounded accusations it is the small minority that get us very wound up! we are only human afterall!

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
Darren the views of this poster is in the minority !! 99.9% of members really do appreciate all the hard work the team does in maintaining this database !!

I have noticed in your replies you are becoming more frustrated with the insinuations that have been made perhaps if a member feels like this they should not continue as a member

Indeed John and I'm grateful that the vast majority of our members appreciate us as we appreciate them.

But this site is like a member of my family and my blood pressure goes through the roof when someone calls us liars or cheats, and that is what is being alleged even if worded differently.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: